When are you going to allow direct streaming from local devices (mobile and desktop)?

• 3 December 2019
  • 3 replies

Many, many people have asked about streaming from their device (mobile or desktop), whether it be from local storage, the web, or other source.

When is this feature going to be implemented?  If it’s not going to be implemented, can you explain the rationale?

Thank you!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

To stream from a desktop, can you not use the Music Library feature?

I think there’s an On This Device feature for Android phones. 
If your speakers support Airplay 2 that’s an option from IOS devices. 
What else do you want? 

What else do you want? 

With the exception of Airplay, those methods all play audio files, not all device audio, which is what I think the OP is asking about.

Sonos never comment on such plans, so don’t expect an answer as to if/when.

As to why it is like it is… Sonos was designed as a multiroom music system.  The apps are remote controls not players.  They do not ‘push’ the audio to the speakers.  They tell the speakers where to get the music files and the speakers go get them.  This is fundamental to Sonos’ design.  So my purely personal opinion is that you should not hold your breath waiting for this to change.

So your options for playing ‘all device’ audio are essentially those that bypass the structure I described above: Airplay 2 on an iOS device, or the line-in on Sonos components that are so equipped.

What else do you want? 

With the exception of Airplay, those methods all play audio files, not all device audio, which is what I think the OP is asking about.

Sonos never comment on such plans, so don’t expect an answer as to if/when.

As to why it is like it is… Sonos was designed as a multiroom music system.  The apps are remote controls not players.  They do not ‘push’ the audio to the speakers.  They tell the speakers where to get the music files and the speakers go get them.  This is fundamental to Sonos’ design.  So my purely personal opinion is that you should not hold your breath waiting for this to change.

So your options for playing ‘all device’ audio are essentially those that bypass the structure I described above: Airplay 2 on an iOS device, or the line-in on Sonos components that are so equipped.

Yes, “all device” audio is what I was referring to.  Thanks for your comment!