What the heck is wrong with your company??

After Lord only knows how many emails, and nearly two hours on the phone, it had seemed as though your technical support was hoping to fix the problem I have encountered where my Sonos Connect constantly pauses and skips songs while playing off of iPhone. Although the solutions your team suggested, turning off AirPlay and Bluetooth, were preposterous, at least it seemed like they were trying to fix the problem. I was promised a call back in 45 minutes, but now, nearly two hours have passed, and I now received an email asking a bunch of questions that I have already answered. After searching this community, it seems that Sonos is well aware that there is a problem with playback from iPhone to Sonos, but has absolutely no clue how to fix it. Can someone, anyone, please explain to me what the heck is going on? Tech support is terrible, wait times are exhausting, and my Sonos doesn't work. I used to tell anyone who would listen how amazing the Sonos products were, now I wish I didn't even own them at all. PLEASE HELP

15 replies

Jeff S wrote:

[...] We're currently investigating an issue where non-Sonos AirPlay devices on your network cause streaming directly from iOS devices to skip and stop when your iOS device goes into auto lock. We'll update this thread when we have more to share, but in the meantime you can get the streaming going again by disabling AirPlay on any *non-Sonos devices on your network, or by disabling auto lock on your iOS device in the iOS settings menu under display and brightness.

Another option is to sync your iOS device's library with iTunes on a computer, then set up a music share. This will allow your Sonos system to play your music when there are non-Sonos AirPlay devices on your network, even when your phone goes into auto lock, or leaves the network entirely.

https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/sonos-dropping-connection-and-skipping-tracks-6814967/index1.html#post16282587

*e.g. Apple TV, Time Capsule, Airport Express, AirPrint-enabled printers
I was already instructed to try disabling airplay, which is a preposterous solution by the way, and the tracks still paused and skipped. Then after spending 2 hours on the phone (thanks a lot ridiculous hold times) i was promised a call back and never received one. Instead i received another email with a litany of questions and requests.

I ask you this. Does Sonos admit that there is a big problem with your functionality within iOS and your product currently does not work as advertised? All of your suggested fixes are not solutions but instead workarounds that negatively impact me, the end user.

Further, is there an actual Sonos based solution to this problem in the works? It seems pretty misguided to offer products that utilize airplay while telling users not to utilize airplay on any other device.

What would be nice would be a concise message from Sonos, made on a timely basis. As opposed to having customers jump through hoops, while tech support bungles their way to a supposed resolution.
Userlevel 7
Badge +25
Hi Pjtracy37, sorry to hear about the trouble you're having. This time of the year is always busiest for us, and for that matter the entire service industry. Hopefully, you'll be able to work with a technician soon and identify what's happening there.

The issue you're describing is a symptom of what could be many different things acting up, so support has to get lots of information to see what in particular is causing it for you. This isn't really something that can have a single solution across all systems and is often environmental and unique to the setup. To have music playing from your iOS device stably to Sonos, that device has to have a consistent, strong connection to the network, your Sonos devices need likewise, and the network needs to be allowing that communication to take place.

There is also a known issue right now that we're looking into, where the Sonos app and connection losses priority on the phone when it goes to sleep, which causes tracks on that iOS device currently streaming to Sonos to stop playing. This issue, in particular, comes up if there is a non-Sonos Airplay device on the network. If there isn't such a device on the network, or if you have turned Airplay off on that device, then the most likely cause of the issue would be network based, in my experience, the phone's connection to the network being unstable is usually toward the top of the list. However, it takes troubleshooting, diagnostics, and more details on the setup in order to identify what's happening in that case.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Pjtracy37 wrote:

I was already instructed to try disabling airplay, which is a preposterous solution by the way, and the tracks still paused and skipped.

I can't speak for the specific technician you talked to, but disabling airplay was probably asked of you not as a solution, but as a way of identifying the source of the problem. Process of elimination. If the problem persists after disabling airplay, then airplay is not part of the problem. If the problem goes away, then it is. And some customers, like me, don't really care about airplay and would be happy without it, preferring to end troubleshooting and proceed as is rather then spend more time troubleshooting.
Sorry but that network stability excuse just feels like a cop out. I can stream airplay video on my network, without any interruption, while my phone is asleep. And i have never before had a single problem streaming to my Sonos. More importantly, regardless of the problem, Nothing should excuse Sonos from not calling me back when a return call was promised. For that, your company should be ashamed of itself. It’s bad enough your product just stopped working properly out of the blue, but to not keep your commitments made to customers is inexcusable.

The solution i am looking for is a single solution, across one setup. Sonos and music streamed from an iOS library. You have an entire page dedicated to it, so it apparently is not a problem specific to my setup, but instead to many customers’ setups. So i repeat my earlier question, does Sonos acknowledge that this is a Sonos problem that needs to be fixed by Sonos, not by users turning off airplay or disabling Bluetooth, or forcing their iPhone to stay awake?
Danny i agree with you but my point is that Sonos should be solving the problem on their end, not disabling other functionality on unrelated hardware or software. For troubleshooting purposes, i understand the logic, but for the actual resolution to a problem, these options are just band aids and not actual fixes on the part of Sonos.
Pjtracy37 wrote:

The solution i am looking for is a single solution, across one setup. Sonos and music streamed from an iOS library. You have an entire page dedicated to it, so it apparently is not a problem specific to my setup, but instead to many customers’ setups. So i repeat my earlier question, does Sonos acknowledge that this is a Sonos problem that needs to be fixed by Sonos, not by users turning off airplay or disabling Bluetooth, or forcing their iPhone to stay awake?

What's wrong with the explanation given by Jeff S. & Ryan S.?
Userlevel 7
Badge +25
I understand that it sounds that way, because it's a general statement. With network streaming each app and protocol has different needs, including transfer rates and how much buffering takes place. With the iOS streaming to Sonos built into our app, there isn't a huge buffer, which means missed data could cause a cutout. At the same time, if you are running into the known issue with other non-Sonos Airplay devices, on the network, it's not about your network reliability, it's the phone not sending content to Sonos after it goes to sleep, because it's stopped using the Sonos app.

Do you happen to have a Sonos player that supports Airplay 2, including the Sonos One, Play:5 gen2, Playbase, Sonos Beam or the new Sonos Amp? If you have any of those, try out Airplay 2 to Sonos using that protocol, instead of our built-in iOS streaming option. The official Airplay 2 integration with our newer players is, in general, a more consistent solution, and if you have any of these compatible players in your home, you can send the audio to them directly, and have them grouped with any other Sonos devices, playing the same content.

Alternatively, and as suggested above, a much more recommended solution is using a network device or streaming service with your music library on it, and using the phone as a controller, not a source of the music. Then, you don't need to rely on the phone being available, and if the app loses priority, it'll still keep playing music. It also has the added benefit of not using the phone's battery nearly as much.
I do not have a Sonos device with airplay.

I do not wish to use a non-iPhone based method of playing my music.

I wish to stream music from my iPhone library the same way i have been for 3 years.

I called, and waited on hold for 40 minutes in hopes of troubleshooting all potential fixes. I was told i would receive a call back to further troubleshoot the problems and a call back was not provided.

Given that this functionality used to exist, flawlessly, within the Sonos iPhone app, it should be able to exist flawlessly going forward, without any changes to other hardware or having to purchase new hardware or otherwise disrupting my day to day use of your system. Isn’t that simple enough.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Flies....honey
I hear ya Chris, but my honey ran out after two hours on the phone this afternoon and then not receiving my promised return call from support. I specifically stayed home from the office today to resolve this problem. Waited on hold for an extended period of time, and then never got the promised return call to hopefully resolve the problem. A wasted day off rubs me the wrong way.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Pjtracy37 wrote:

Given that this functionality used to exist, flawlessly, within the Sonos iPhone app, it should be able to exist flawlessly going forward, without any changes to other hardware or having to purchase new hardware or otherwise disrupting my day to day use of your system. Isn’t that simple enough.

I completely get your frustration with tech support. I'd be frustrated as well.

I didn't want to point out though that the Sonos functionality that existed and worked flawlessly years ago was forced to change and adapt because the iOS version changed. It's not likely that Sonos made changes and broke it, but Apple changed their iOS (and dropped in airplay) that caused the Sonos functionality to no longer work, or work as reliably. That's not to say that Sonos isn't on the hook to address the issue, but just a thought that Sonos might not be entirely at fault for the problems with the functionality.

The recommendations to play music from another location, besides your phone's memory, is just trying to steer you to methods that are known to be more stable, either because they rely less on another companies software, or because they other company has a much more vested interest in making sure that the 'integration' works.

Again, not going to make you less frustrated I'm sure, just trying to add a different perspective to the issue. Take it or leave it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Sorry pjtracy - I'm specifically referring to Ryan … he is very helpful. I would start a discussion with him as he can get you to the best person to give you good advice.
Basically I just want this issue resolved. Which is why i stayed home from work today to fix it. If someone from Sonos can plan to find the time to discuss this problem on the phone, until resolved, on Thursday i would greatly appreciate it. I am more than happy to dedicate as much time as necessary to troubleshoot and resolve the problem, but i can’t handle the time delayed back and forth, nor am i willing to call and wait on hold again. Whoever is the best person to handle this, Sonos has my direct contact info and i will eagerly await your getting in touch with me to schedule a call Thursday. Thanks.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
The twitter and facebook support sites are staffed 24x7 so they might be better than waiting until the forums get another staff visit.

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings