Question

WD My Cloud Home

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Anyone use WD My Cloud Home and Sonos?

I dont mind the limited views to Artist, Album and Genre but I wish they worked better.

In Artist, this works on Artist, not Album Artist as it does in the main Sonos music view. So albums where artists duet with other artists get listed as separate entries.

And whilst new items get added, updates dont work well. I've been trying to collect incorrect tags for months. I know they are correct in the actual track itself. I've checked them in iTunes and Metatogger, they are correct. I've deleted and reported. I've kept Sonos open for six hours. I still have rogue genres.

And it doesnt support albums with multiple discs. And because of that, it sorts by track number. So track 1 from each disc is shown, then the 2s and then the 3s, etc. Bit rubbish. And as the updating tags doesnt work, this doesnt get corrected.

All together, a bit shoddy.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

I can’t say that these problems are limited to Sonos, but they are the reason that I rarely use the indices and search facilities. Consequently, all of my access is via the folder view, which displays everything in exactly the order that I set it up.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

That's an added problem with the WD My Ckoud Home Duo. Folder view doesn't work the normal way, by design.

I might change my NAS. 

That's an added problem with the WD My Ckoud Home Duo. Folder view doesn't work the normal way, by design.

I might change my NAS. 

I have Synology, LG and Buffalo NAS devices, and all seem to work fine on folders - purely FYI :-)

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

I might change my NAS. 

I have Synology, LG and Buffalo NAS devices, and all seem to work fine on folders - purely FYI :-)

Yes, the My Cloud Home Duo is quite restrictive. I'm not impressed. 

I might change my NAS. 

Yes, the My Cloud Home Duo is quite restrictive. I'm not impressed. 

I am surprised - usually WD kit has quite a good rep….

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Exactly. I had a WD My Cloud EX2, which had a nice interface, came up in Windows Explorer, no problem, transfer speeds were good.

With the My Cloud Home Duo there are separate apps for mobile, desktop and Internet, all of which do things differently. 

Whilst the drive comes up in Explorer, it's only as a standard drive, not a networked drive. So you can't map it as a drive in Sonos, hence the WD My Duo service, which is no more than a poor work around.

I've also been backing up a folder to the NAS, which has 3,900 files. It's taken about 6 hours. 

Badge

I have copied my library from a WD cloud drive to a WD home cloud drive nearly all the music has gone into unknown artist.
On the drive itself everything looks normal its only in the sonos app that its difrent 

Any thoughts? 

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Andrew, 

This is the sort of problem I've not been able to resolve. Incorrect tags just don't seem to refresh, although new music adds quite quickly. 

In all honesty, I've given up and gone to Plex. Better interface and changes made in Plex reflect very quickly in Sonos. 

I'm not advising because I'd be one of the people I complain about- someone who does not answer the question that was asked!!! 😁 

And moving to Plex has not been straightforward- and I took months to decide to do it. But I just could not find an answer to the tagging issue. 

Badge

ok im not sure what plex is but i will look into it 

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Plex is a streaming service. It's one of the additional features you can get with the WD My Cloud Home devices.