WAV files missing from library

• 4 June 2021
  • 5 replies

I have an album in my library which is in WAV format (it was a download from a vinyl I bought, so I can’t rip it into another format)  I have listened to it several times over the last 2 weeks via my Sonos system but today, after updating to the latest version of the app, the album no longer appears when i search for it.

If I navigate to the folder  sonos will play it but it won’t show in a search. The files haven’t changed in anyway, so I can only assume someting has changed with the app?  I saw some old posts which refer to problems with WAV tags but the articles they link to no longer exist so I can’t check what was mentioned in them to see what they suggest.

if anyone has any ideas I’d appreciate it

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Convert it into a better format than WAV. Any format is better than WAV, esp for metadata.

Convert it into a better format than WAV. Any format is better than WAV, esp for metadata.

Any reccommendations for something that will do the job?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

No this is not something I have ever done myself, well not since the days when Windows Media Player was still a thing.

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

I use EAC (exact audio copy) to convert CDs to FLAC which it does by creating a .WAV on disc and then compressing it to FLAC.  Using the tools > Compress WAVs… option it does seem possible to use it to convert .WAV files to FLAC. You could then using something like Mp3tag to add in the necessary tags.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

ffmpeg will do the job if you’re happy using the command line, and it’s free.

Usage is simple for most WAV files:

> ffmpeg -i filename.wav filename.flac