Volume Normalization for Streaming Services

• 20 August 2019
  • 10 replies

Is there any volume normalization for streaming services yet?

There is a post from five years ago started by a Sonos employee? https://en.community.sonos.com/music-services-and-sources-228994/volume-normalization-for-online-music-services-5611734

Cmon Sonos, get with the program!

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
How do you propose to get normalization work on "live" sources source as streaming or TV audio? Normalization requires knowledge and scanning of all items before playback, in order to figure out the max volume of each item. I cant think of a way for this to work on most Sonos sources.
I guess I mean for sources such as playlists or “radio” stations where the set of songs is known.

Spotify handles this fine without problem using the mobile or desktop app.

I am looking for that same experience, without a blaring song out of nowhere every so often

MUST FIX ABILITY TO NORMALIZE VOLUME  FROM SPOTIFY PLAYLISTS!!!!!!!

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Using capitals to get your message across on a forum is considered shouting. Considering the subject of this topic I find this use of capitals  very funny.

106rslkye

Yrs I’m shouting because it’s a Really big desl.

For the issue to be ignored for so long is

unbelievable.

if you don’t think it’s a big deal then you’re not using playlists for a business or parties.

Badge

It is the most annoying problem rendering the streaming experience on multi-speakers in a business settings ridiculous! some songs u can barely hear so you up the volume and then next song is so loud so i need to down the volume again. It’s not a problem from Spotify. I stream a playlist from Spotify. It should be a feature integrated into Sonos speakers. Some kind of smart autofeed system that can autodetect the volume disparity and adjust the  volume to the fixed volume level set by the user??

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Of you own AirPlay capable Sonos devices, would it work to AirPlay Spotify (that as I understand it has a working volume normalisation system) to one speaker and group the rest of the speakers with this one?

It’s a work around, but not a solution of course.

Badge

Of you own AirPlay capable Sonos devices, would it work to AirPlay Spotify (that as I understand it has a working volume normalisation system) to one speaker and group the rest of the speakers with this one?

thank you for your reply.

I streamed my downloaded playlist from Spotify via Airplay to my Sonos One and group my all 5 sonos players together. I will let you know how it goes.

Badge

this solution worked super fine for normalizing the sound volume through the whole playlist but the music stopped playing every 30 minutes or so.

If Spotify managed to add this feature, why the geniuses of Sonos couldn't?? 

You might have a very nice sound, but networking your speakers is a NIGHTMARE!! and now the volume issue!! :rage: I like your hardware but your software is garbage

Badge

Let Elon Musk tackle this.  He'll have it solved in a week.