Volume Normalization for Online Music Services

Userlevel 7
Badge
Add a feature to support volume normalization on the Sonos System so the volume of different tracks are the same when streaming from an online music service.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

116 replies

Userlevel 1
Yes! I realy need this!!! I was surpised (not pleasant) that this function was not added in this high class system....
My nabours will also like it
Userlevel 1
Yes! This is essential. When using my Sonos for a party I have to constantly adjust the volume for different tracks.
Userlevel 2
this really should be a no brainer. please do it!
Userlevel 1
Please sort volume normalisation it really is essential when playing mixture tracks across different albums and have to constantly adjust volume.
Userlevel 1
Adding my interest in having volume normalization as a Sonos feaiure on playback, independent of music source or service.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
totally need this
Userlevel 1
Plus 1 for this. Really would like this available sooner than later.
Userlevel 1
The lack of this has changed my sonos from being a great device to an source of annoyance. 😕
This is really a problem when listening to radio stations on Sonos. Sometimes the announcer is barely audible but the music is way too loud - or vice versa! Or one presenter on a show cannot be heard but the interviewer is shouting at the top of his/her voice. How can this be addressed?
I am a manager of an upscale theme retail store, where we seek to use music to add immersion to our customer experience. We use Spotify often for our playlists and it can be disturbing for the customers when tracks of drastically different volume play on our store sound system. Would love to keep using Sonos, but it is frustrating to have to resort to constant manual adjustment of track volume.
100% Agree.  An idea would be to incorporate the presets from Breakaway Home.  I work in radio and the presets available are great sounding from old motown to Taylor Swift to Godsmack to AC/DC.  Breakaway evens them all out to a consistent volume.

http://www.claessonedwards.com/
Userlevel 1
Sonos Idea added TWO years ago.
Are you people listening to your customers?
I am about ready to ditch sonos. Good ideas but no followup. Havent had a software update in the 2 yrs i've owned it....
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I am about ready to ditch sonos. Good ideas but no followup. Havent had a software update in the 2 yrs i've owned it....
Hi Ed,

We just recently had a software update that included a lot of changes, but most recently Shuffle was redone due to immense customer feedback and suggestions. 

The Sonos Ideas account is used to post customer suggestions that are received through different channels here on the community. If the request were to have come in on Facebook or through Email, for example, we'd share it here using the Sonos Ideas account. This way we can get feedback on which features customers are most interested in, and they can also follow it for updates if there are any changes or news available.

In the case of this suggestion, each music service has it's own music normalization, or in some cases, none at all. The Sonos players will get the audio at whatever the service sends it over at, we don't do any built in processing of volume. I don't have any news about getting this added to the system, but we'll let you know if there's any change in the future.
Yes, please include volume normalization for Spotify or other Music channels...
I'd like to add my interest in this addition too, although I reckon 21 likes in three years is not putting it high on the agenda. Mind, I imagine a lot of users don't know what they want is called "normalization" so never find this thread when searching for it. I'd also agree with the user who suggested looking at the Breakaway presets. I used Breakaway on my MP3 jukebox some years ago and it was absolutely brilliant at doing its job with minimal overhead and - more importantly for an audiophile product - with minimal coloration of the output. I also loved the suggestion of adding the button to the transport controls - that was a slice of UI genius.
Userlevel 2
Please add this feature - sonos is currently annoying because of the lack of this feature, and friends and family comment on the deficiency when they visit, which has put them off buying the system.
Userlevel 1
Is it that hard to integrate volume normalization? Please add this to future release. it appears you have a lot of post concerning this
Badge
Needed... I just line in to Spotify on SONOS because the volume variation once the tracks are added to Sonos are so bad.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I'd also like this - it seems like google play music has a different audio level for every track that it plays through sonos - very annoying.
Badge
I hadn't realised that this was an issue for me, after creating a massive playlist some of the tracks were really quiet, some were just right and then some were too loud. I thought i needed to volume normalise my whole .mp3 collection but if it can be done by Sonos then by all means please add it.
My Spotify holiday playlist this year has a very noticeable variation in volume. It is extremely annoying. I, too, would very much like a fix.
Userlevel 4
Badge +13
The arguments have all been made. All I will do therefore is say yes, please add this function.
Userlevel 3
Badge
I agree this would be an excellent feature.
yes please add this feature. i use Sonos on my business and I cant be manually changing volume all the time, it is quite annoying. Online Services is a great feature, but still requires humans controlling the volume, it is not completely automated yet. I would not have purchased Sonos if I knew this would happen.