Voice recognition control

I wonder if voice recognition would be possible if the system had some sort of mic built in to the ZP or controllers?

You would be able to mute the system without having to find a controller when the phone rings.

This probably wouldn't work very well if you have the tunes blaring though.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

Userlevel 2
But if you were in the vicinity of a ZP then surely it's easier to press the mute button on that?

Tip: did you know you can press and hold the mute button to mute all zones.
Userlevel 2
Hopefully you won't be listening to the song "mute, mute, mute that tune", hehehe
Userlevel 2
But if you were in the vicinity of a ZP then surely it's easier to press the mute button on that?

Tip: did you know you can press and hold the mute button to mute all zones.

That wouldn't work if the zone is placed higher than you can reach.

Good tip btw..

🆒
Userlevel 2
That wouldn't work if the zone is placed higher than you can reach.

Good tip btw..

🆒

I guess my key word was vicinity, ie: within reach.

Cheers.

🙂
Userlevel 2
Hi again
My next idea is using both Android and Orange OS capability in voice recognition, allow voice to control and navigate through the music library, and simple commands (play,stop etc)
🙂
I think it would be great to be able to perform basic functions per voice via the player. This could enable you not to have to use a gadget (phone/tablet/computer) each time you want to hear something.
Examples: 'play playlist', 'skip song', 'play xyz radio station', 'pause'

A further development (given built-in microphones in units) would be VOIP speakerphone.
I think it would be great to be able to perform basic functions per voice via the player. This could enable you not to have to use a gadget (phone/tablet/computer) each time you want to hear something.

-1 from me.

Wouldn't work.

When listening to music via Sonos, I have the volume at the WAF upper limit (when she is present) or just below the Phone Ring Threshold (when I am home alone).

As long as the dog isn't howling, the music volume is up.

Can't see how direct ZonePlayer voice control would get through that issue.

Best of Luck
Hmm, this could get interesting at parties as someone yells "Play ..." or "Louder". And then there is the TV show or radio broadcast that accidentally gives commands.

I can also imagine a clever person who could brew up some interesting remote command tracks, play some inappropriate stuff and end with a track giving commands to erase the trail.
I think this is a great idea, and sooner or later a must have.

To the "technical difficulties" addressed here: They have been solved before. You push a button, sound goes down, the systems listens, you say your command, done.

How about you could say this to your sonos:
- sonos, play me some jazz and folk.
- sonos, play more of that (pandora style)
- sonos, I like that song (rating +1)
- sonos, play some of my favourites and some new songs
- sonos, wake me at 8:00 with some dubstep

I think the Sonos hardware is about where it should be but you could do soo much more with the software.
Userlevel 2
There are now multiple products out there where you can control it with your voice. I think there is potential for Sonos to add this functionality. Sonos should release a microphone that can be added to an existing system. This would allow an individual to say, "Play XXXX in the living room", or any number of voice commands. Is there any interest for this out there?
Userlevel 2
Badge
I am a long time user of Sonos, probably one of the first users -- between home and work, I have at least 15 active Sonos devices.

Recently we bought an Amazon echo to try, and it's actually pretty good -- while it may still be classified as a "toy" right now, within 2 years I foresee these type of things everywhere. Google, Amazon and Apple will all be battling for this market space.

My point with this is, that I think Sonos needs to make a move in this direction ASAP or they will be left out. Either Sonos needs to team up with Amazon and offer voice response based activities into at least their "Play" units, or they need to build their own software platform (which may not be feasible).

As an example, I was going to place a Play-1 in my bathroom but after getting the Amazon Echo, I have decided for that location to get a second one for use there -- I don't need a controller, nor to get my phone -- you can just say "Alexa play pandora The Beatles" and it will start playing. You can adjust volume, mute, etc.

I think Sonos needs to seriously look at this market at least for the Play devices, and possibly with some kind of microphone "extender" of some sort to attach to the other models (ZP, etc)

The window of time to get into this space is very limited and I think in 5 years these things will be everywhere including TVs, etc.
Userlevel 2
Badge
There are now multiple products out there where you can control it with your voice. I think there is potential for Sonos to add this functionality. Sonos should release a microphone that can be added to an existing system. This would allow an individual to say, "Play XXXX in the living room", or any number of voice commands. Is there any interest for this out there?

I would definitely be interested -- and after using Amazon Echo, I think that Sonos needs to be pro-active. I think it is the type of feature that many people might not know they need yet, but will become more and more common over the next, I guess, 2 years.

I think pairing up with a high technology company to provide the backend makes most sense (ie: Google, Apple or Amazon) - maybe offering a microphone and then you can choose a provider just like you can choose Pandora, Rhapsody, etc.

Amazon is also offering API access to do other things such as turning lights on/off using Lutron devices etc. While still in early stages, I expect to see explosive growth.

My son (9 years old) loves it already -- when listening to Pandora for example he can just use his voice to ask what song is playing... it's accelerating his music interest as he does not have to stop what he is doing to get an interface. It also increases music usage as you don't have to find a controller/phone etc. for basic listening.

It's much more convenient than you would expect it to be until you use it.
Did anyone see lately that you can control the Sonos using the Amazon Echo or Echo Dot?
You can via Yonomi, but currently in a very limited way. However, Sonos is working with Amazon to provide full Alexa integration by early next year.