Voice integration?

• 6 June 2017
  • 7 replies

Wife bought echoes for me. Need to just get voice commands to Sonos. Have an Apple system. Would like to use Siri to run Sonos. Any hope?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Apple is working with Bose and others, just not Sonos as far as I know. Apple is certainly working with other companies in terms of whole house control. If I were to guess, I would think Apple feels that Airplay is important to them, and really isn't compatable with Sonos. As well, the easiest way to differentiate their assistant from Amazon and Google is to put in better speakers and jack up the price. Not to mention leverage Airplay for multiroom and ride their brand recognition. Hence the Homepod..
If that turns out to be true then I will have bought my last iMac, iPhone and iPad (x5 in my household). I accept Apple should keep some benefits for full integration but closing off their system entirely can't be justified on 'user-experience' grounds. If they force an all or nothing decision then nothing they shall have.
Given their announcement last week, it does seem improbable, doesn't it!
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I'm not conviced that Apple wants you to be able to control Sonos through Siri.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Sonos sells more than $1bn of equipment annually, it really can't work on integrating with two systems at the same time?? I'm getting pretty tired of these big tech companies. Come on, how hard can it be?

Hard. At least in a way that works reliably, at scale.
Sonos sells more than $1bn of equipment annually, it really can't work on integrating with two systems at the same time?? I'm getting pretty tired of these big tech companies. Come on, how hard can it be?
Doubtful and almost certainly won't happen this year; Sonos has their hands full at this time getting their kit to work wirelessly with Alexa/Echo voice control. Wait for that instead. Should be in place in 2017.