Voice Control section needs a "Apple Siri and Sonos" sub-section

• 3 August 2018
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3
The title is self explanatory, but now that we can add Sonos speakers to Apple HomeKit and control them by voice using Siri, we need a sub-section for this.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hi there, arcadelt. Thanks for posting. We discussed this for some time and while you can use Siri to control Sonos (through HomeKit and AirPlay) Siri is a feature reliant on AirPlay/Homekit integration. That being said, it's not as natively integrated on Sonos like Amazon Alexa is. Allow me to elaborate:

When you talk to a Sonos One with Amazon Alexa, the speaker picks up your command and sends it to Amazon. This is something we (at Sonos) can dig deeper on and troubleshoot.

When you give a command to Siri, it all is happening form the back end. You cannot talk to your Sonos One and expect Siri to respond. Nor do we (Sonos) have a way of figuring out the command you gave Siri, since all of that happens on Apple's backend.

With Siri functionality relying more on the back of the HomeKit/AirPlay service than Sonos itself, it made sense to move all content and discussions regarding Siri with AirPlay and Homekit discussions happening in the "Music Services and Sources" section. As more posts come in revolving around Siri specifically, it would make sense to make a designated spot for it. Nevertheless, I am happy to bring this up to the rest of the team to gather more feedback.

Thanks again!
Any update on this since Apple opened up Siri a little bit more on WWDC in June? (Opened up for controlling Spotify and other third party services at least..)
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Any update on this since Apple opened up Siri a little bit more on WWDC in June? (Opened up for controlling Spotify and other third party services at least..)
We don't have any new details to share at this time. Great to see them starting to open things up a bit more, but I don't know where it'll go from here. You can use AirPlay 2 on an iOS device, controlled by Siri to play on a Sonos player that's AirPlay capable, as mentioned above.