Virtual Zones and Zone Grouping

• 27 February 2005
  • 190 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

190 replies

Userlevel 2
mdfuller,
Also, I coded a few similar threads with the keyword "lock". You can keyword search for these.

Great work!
Helps me find the other threads and realise that there are so many other people on this forum longing for the same possibilities for voluntary restriction of controllers and zones as I do.

Especially the jukebox and restrict controllers threads go very well with this one. Sometimes, a baby sleeping in a room with a zone as (clock) radio doesn't work well with "All Rooms - Party Mode". If that could be solved, I might actually come round to buying a third zone 😮
Userlevel 2
+1 on ability to have pre-defined groups.

Would be great to use one click to select a group of multiple Sonos units to play from (i.e. “Party” Group = Sonos units A,B,C,D, while “Downstairs” Group = just Sonos units A and C).
Userlevel 2
+1 especially if the virtual zone could be used in an alarm setup
Userlevel 2
I'd love the ability to be able to customise/create/save play modes, i.e. when you group Zones together you have the option to be able to 'Select All - Party Mode' but that's it. I think this would be a real useful function. Example, I have 5 Zones on one floor of my house, I want to play the same music to each Zone, right now I have to add each Zone to a 'Group'. It would be great to create a mode that I've already added the 5 Zones too i.e. 'All Ground Floor' etc. This mode would complement the 'Select All - Party Mode' etc. Hope that makes sense...
I'd love the ability to be able to customise/create/save play modes, i.e. when you group Zones together you have the option to be able to 'Select All - Party Mode' but that's it. I think this would be a real useful function. Example, I have 5 Zones on one floor of my house, I want to play the same music to each Zone, right now I have to add each Zone to a 'Group'. It would be great to create a mode that I've already added the 5 Zones too i.e. 'All Ground Floor' etc. This mode would complement the 'Select All - Party Mode' etc. Hope that makes sense...

+1.... It would be nice to have the option of "favourite" groups....

These two players....
These three... in addition to the party mode....
It would be great to have speaker setup profiles.

For example, sometimes I have my 2S5's as a stereo pair, sometimes not (when I take one to the garden). In the latter situation, I want it sometimes linked (same music inside and outside), sometimes not (different music inside as outside).

These three scenarios should be storeable as profiles allowing to change the speaker setup quickly. Today it is quite a hassle to set it up, to change and to change it back again.
Userlevel 2
The ability to group zones then store then as presets would be nice.
For example....
"Party" = living room, kitchen, deck
"Dinner" = dining, kitchen
"Wake up" = m. Bed, m bath, kitchen

Etc
Userlevel 2
This has been discussed many times before but it's worth bumping. I would have thought fairly easy to impliment and a boon to us Sonos addicts with whole house systems.

Terry
Userlevel 2
Considering the concept was suggested almost 8 years ago I'm guessing this vote is rather pointless, but thought I would offer this suggestion instead. With 158 replies, and almost 15K views, you would "think" the product development team was listening and would provide insights on potential implementation.

I don't think you all realize how useful this would be. I'm up to 8 zones now, and unlinking and relinking is becoming a chore. Please advise of challenges in implementing this feature, or just...do it!

Love the Sonos system - this would make it even better.
you would "think" the product development team was listening and would provide insights on potential implementation.
As you would learn from a casual browse of these forums, Sonos doesn't publish a development roadmap. A matching thread on ask.sonos is labelled as "under consideration", which is probably as good an indication as you're likely to see.
Userlevel 2
I guess it shows just how many miles ahead of competing options that Sonos is, that they can completely ignore this meaningful request for almost a decade, and we all just kvetch and keep buying more. I wish that Sonos were in an arms race with a competing and similar system. Competition makes us all better.
I guess it shows just how many miles ahead of competing options that Sonos is, that they can completely ignore this meaningful request for almost a decade, and we all just kvetch and keep buying more. I wish that Sonos were in an arms race with a competing and similar system. Competition makes us all better.

They were in an arms race; the other side surrendered:

http://www.geekintheforest.com/long-live-squeezebox/
Userlevel 2
They were in an arms race; the other side surrendered:

http://www.geekintheforest.com/long-live-squeezebox/

I wouldn't call this surrender.
This implies that they fought and one side finally gave up.

Unfortunately Logitech management changed too often without a clear vision (nor the need to make it successful, as long as mice and Logitech Revue seemed to be more important).

For some reason Logitech completely ignored their target market AND their competition.

And obviously Sonos didn't need to care too much as well, otherwise they'd have solved some of their customer requests much faster.
This implies that they fought and one side finally gave up.

Unfortunately Logitech management changed too often without a clear vision (nor the need to make it successful, as long as mice and Logitech Revue seemed to be more important).

For some reason Logitech completely ignored their target market AND their competition.

And obviously Sonos didn't need to care too much as well, otherwise they'd have solved some of their customer requests much faster.

You took my facetious remark far too seriously. :rolleyes:

How about circular firing squad? As you say, the damage was pretty much self-inflicted.
Userlevel 2
How about circular firing squad? As you say, the damage was pretty much self-inflicted.

yes 😃
Userlevel 2
Ahh, ya gotta love it.. Yet another update from sonos and still no "virtual zones." One has to wonder if everyone out there (except the people that have posted in this thread) only has one zone player.
Ahh, ya gotta love it.. Yet another update from sonos and still no "virtual zones." One has to wonder if everyone out there (except the people that have posted in this thread) only has one zone player.

Obviously, your priority is not the same as Sonos. Imagine that.

Just enjoy the music. Life's too short.

BTW - As you can see by my sig, I have 6 zones. :o

Best of Luck
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
One has to wonder if everyone out there (except the people that have posted in this thread) only has one zone player.

Around 41% of my Sonos customers have a single player.

I have 3 myself, and have no desire for "virtual zones". My customer who has 24 players would likely have a different opinion though, everyone to their own.
Today is the 8th birthday of this thread !

Happy Virtual Birthday
Userlevel 2
Badge
I'm surprised because there seems to be a lot of support for this issue here, but the corresponding ask.sonos thread doesn't seem to be very highly ranked. Does sonos look at these forums as much as the ask.sonos tickets when considering new features? It would seem that this would be one of the easiest features to implement with the biggest impact. Of course, I realize that's just my opinion, but still wish this was ranked higher on the "popular" category.
I'm surprised because there seems to be a lot of support for this issue here, but the corresponding ask.sonos thread doesn't seem to be very highly ranked. Does sonos look at these forums as much as the ask.sonos tickets when considering new features? It would seem that this would be one of the easiest features to implement with the biggest impact. Of course, I realize that's just my opinion, but still wish this was ranked higher on the "popular" category.

If you notice, the ask.sonos items which are high in votes mostly concern supporting operating systems and services (Windows 8, Spotify, Google Music, Windows 8 again, Xbox music), rather than features in Sonos hardware/software. It seems to me that these may be campaigns by fans of the service or OS, not necessarily fans of Sonos. The Windows 8 campaign is a definite, for the Windows 8 forum posts asking for support from non-Sonos users are easily found.
Userlevel 2
Dear Sonos Team,

my feature request would be a way to save your room grouping group giving them individual names:

In the morning you want to be waken by your alarm clock in the sleeping room. But grouping it with the bathroom would be more convenient, so that you don’t need to take your controller and extra link it.
Usually you group the rooms before setting the timer.
But in the night you want your sleep timer to rock you in the sleep. The grouping with the bathroom from the morning wouldn’t make sense. Therefore you have to ungroup them again.

You can extrapolate this example to other situations where it makes sense that you have preferred/often used room-groupings.

Therefore I want to suggest programing a way to save groups of your rooms, giving them an individual name like ‘morning’ so that you don’t always need to ungroup, regroup, etc.

If you think that this optional feature would be to complicate for the average user, that you could also make a checkbox in the preference settings to unlock more detailed features.

Alexander
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Dear Sonos Team,

My feature request would be a way to save your room grouping group giving them individual names:
+1, Even more so now we have a Playbar and "link all zones (rooms)" causes no end of problems!
Add your vote - https://ask.sonos.com/sonos/topics/virtual_zones?rfm=1