Virtual Zones and Zone Grouping

• 27 February 2005
  • 190 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

190 replies

insilico,

First post! Welcome to the forums.

As you see I have moved you post. Mostly because I thought that it would get more traction here and I feel that the suggestion here would cover your request.

I can imagine some implementation issues for a scheme that works exactly as you requested.

For example, the order of building the group can be problematic if the smaller room that one is currently listening to was playing at an unusually high level, it is possible that the added room would need to play at a higher than possible level while following the rules vector. Of course, the current room's volume could be lowered. Personally I would be a little annoyed if the current room's volume changed. As each new room is added, this drama will repeat.

A simple room by room scheme can't anticipate the end point.

---

I'm not so sure that this thread is very high on the development team's list because it will add a little complexity to the user interface and they are huge followers of the KISS principle.
Userlevel 2
Buzz

Thanks for the welcome and thanks for moving the post to the correct thread.. Though I think I liked my title better.. :)

I agree with the other posters, Sonos needs to get this fixed. And I believe “fixed” is the correct word. This is a problem with the Sonos system that needs to be addressed as users build out more and more zones. The clunky volume slide bar and the need to initially adjust the volume on all zones after a grouping is simply a development oversight. Heck, I’m even fine with the volume slide bar if the other aspect could be fixed.

As to your last point… I’m all about a “Keep It Simple” (what’s the other S for again) interface but there is always room for an “advanced” button or menu for those of us that dare to enter…

Thanks
Buzz

I'd like to highlight your "traction here" comment vs "started 6 years ago" :-)

insilico,

First post! Welcome to the forums.

As you see I have moved you post. Mostly because I thought that it would get more traction here and I feel that the suggestion here would cover your request.

I can imagine some implementation issues for a scheme that works exactly as you requested.

For example, the order of building the group can be problematic if the smaller room that one is currently listening to was playing at an unusually high level, it is possible that the added room would need to play at a higher than possible level while following the rules vector. Of course, the current room's volume could be lowered. Personally I would be a little annoyed if the current room's volume changed. As each new room is added, this drama will repeat.

A simple room by room scheme can't anticipate the end point.

---

I'm not so sure that this thread is very high on the development team's list because it will add a little complexity to the user interface and they are huge followers of the KISS principle.
KISS: see Wiktionary
Userlevel 2
Buzz

Ahh, KISS, I should have known that.

I do hope there is some “wiggle room” in their development philosophy. Because I fear if they keep doing updates like the last one that was 90% fluff I fear they’re going to start losing their customer base to other systems with more advanced options… Much like the iPhone is losing ground to the Android OS by leaps and bounds… Boy that hurt to say that… I love my Apple products. :)

Here’s hoping.

Insilico
Userlevel 2
ugh.. have not even connected up my sonos system yet as a newbie and assumed that this sort of zone functionality would have been there... basically want 'upstairs' 'downstairs' but also 'kitchen' which happens to be 'downstairs'

do these things ever get resolved? looks like this one has bene going on for a while.
Userlevel 2
I'd like to add to this:

I too would very much welcome better "zoning" as well!

In this context I would also like to see that zones remain connected (virtually) even if one or all components are powered down completely. i.e. unplugged.

all my Sonos comonents are only getting power at times when i typically need them. whenever the power gets turned back on automatically and they start to power up, like 6AM every day, i'd love to see them reconnecting the predefined zones (in my case both bathrooms) and start a predefined radio station...

all of this only seems to work, if you run them always-on.
Userlevel 2
Simple example would be:
Breakfast ... lower volumes, group Kitchen + patio + family room

Party... all zones with the volumes already figured out.

etc.

Thanks: I thought I read each one first ... and figured others would have already said that!
SeanMo, I merged your post with a thread which is on much the same theme.
Userlevel 2
I'd love the ability to have quick zone groups. Sure, it is very easy to link zones together, but it'd be nice to have the ability to create "presets" like "Upstairs", "Downstairs" etc.

Just a thought. :)

**EDIT: Thanks whoever merged the thread -- apologies for not seeing this thread before posting mine.
Badge
The thing I hate about groups is that a zoneplayer loses its playlist when removed from a group.
Userlevel 2
How about adding predefined Zone Groups so that users could create named Zone Groups rather than having to select zones every time.

A user could for example create a named zone group called "Ground Floor" which would automatically link all ground floor Zone Player without having to select each one, the user could then also have a zone group called "Shared Spaces" which would include all Zone Players in communal areas, including some from from the group "Ground Floor" .... and the list goes on..

- just hope I managed to explain the idea.
How about adding predefined Zone Groups so that users could create named Zone Groups rather than having to select zones every time.

It's already a feature request of long standing.

Moderator edit: Link removed, Post moved -- As Buegie indicates, we ask that Sound Ideas posters search for their suggestion and join an existing discussion when appropriate.

Most likely, this Post will be merged with the above.

Best of Luck
Userlevel 2
Sorry, but I couldn't find this - so added my own. Quite telling that somebody posting earlier had the same idea about upstairs, downstairs etc - shouldn't be to difficult to implement, but then again I don't have to create it... 🙂
Userlevel 2
+1
I totally agree.
Userlevel 2
+1

Would seem a reasonable and worthwhile feature.
Userlevel 2
Badge +4
What I would like is to have a setting that would tell a given Play:3 to re-link to the last group that it was in.

I've got a Play:3 in the master bedroom, that I would like to be able to drag into the master bath, then drag it back into the bedroom later. In my setup, Play:3 reboots surprisingly quickly, but I always have to relink it. Ideally this unit would be playing a source in a group and when I move it and plug it in it'll rejoin that group after rebooting. I understand it won't be instant, but in my house these unit seems to reboot and become visable to a controller really fast, and eliminating this manual relinking would make this truly portable (as long as I have a power cord.)

EDIT: Thanks to ratty for merging the thread -- apologies for being lazy and not searching before posting mine.
What I would like is to have a setting that would tell a given Play:3 to re-link to the last group that it was in. ...
Merged with existing thread, which covers the concept of permanent zone groupings.
New to Sonos but it didn't long to see the need for the ideas expressed in this thread. Disappointing to see how old this thread is and that Sonos has not implemented them.
Userlevel 2
I did not read the whole thread, sorry.

But I'm a new and so far happy SONOS user. The only annoying thing is, that I have to group my Play:3 and Play:5 every time I turn on the SONOS stuff...

So do I understand this thread, that no PERMANENT linking (grouping) is possible???
I did not read the whole thread, sorry.

When you get some time, read this Thread and do some searching on others. There's a wealth of good information posted here.

But I'm a new and so far happy SONOS user.

Welcome to the world of Sonos and these Forums as well.

The only annoying thing is, that I have to group my Play:3 and Play:5 every time I turn on the SONOS stuff...

If by "turning off" you mean actually disconnecting the Sonos units from their power source, then yes, you'll need to re-link your players into your preferred grouping arrangement. You will also need to wait for them to re-connect with each other on power-up prior to re-grouping them, and whatever was in your Queue will need to be replaced.

So do I understand this thread, that no PERMANENT linking (grouping) is possible???

As long as the Sonos units remain connected to a power source, then they will retain their grouping configuration (and current Queue contents). This is how they were designed - to be left 'on' (not playing) and they go into a light power usage state.

If you choose to remove power from the units, they will not retain certain information. This also places additional stress on the units as you will power-cycle them repeatedly over their (now shortened) lifetime. There's some good posts by several of the Moderators and Senior Forum members on this issue and on the power draw of each unit when 'dormant'.

You'll have to decide what makes better sense for you and your situation.

Best of Luck
Userlevel 2
Just a +1 for this feature. I actually contacted support about this last week for this very thing, and they said it would be forwarded to development.

Given the length of time this thread has been running I don't know if we'll ever see it, but it would be awesome if there were a feature set to create custom groups, possibly with presets too (or presets being a different feature).

Don't sit on it Sonos boffins, get it done! Else what else are you guys doing all day! :-)

Cheers,
Tom

PS - This forum thread sounds very similar to this one, but explores the idea of user-programmable macros as well as custom groups, which sounds interesting.
forums.sonos.com/showthread.php?t=4528&
Userlevel 2
For example, lock a zone and require a passcode (i.e. cell phone lock) to start playing music. Basically, looking for something to prevent drunk people from accidentally cranking zones that are outside and waking the neighbors at 4AM?
mdfuller,

As you can see, I moved your post. Hopefully, as a member of a choir, you'll have more influence than a single voice in the wilderness.

Also, I coded a few similar threads with the keyword "lock". You can keyword search for these.
Userlevel 2
Thanks buzz! Very helpful.