Virtual Zones and Zone Grouping

• 27 February 2005
  • 190 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

190 replies

Userlevel 2
Sorry, but I couldn't find this - so added my own. Quite telling that somebody posting earlier had the same idea about upstairs, downstairs etc - shouldn't be to difficult to implement, but then again I don't have to create it... 🙂
How about adding predefined Zone Groups so that users could create named Zone Groups rather than having to select zones every time.

It's already a feature request of long standing.

Moderator edit: Link removed, Post moved -- As Buegie indicates, we ask that Sound Ideas posters search for their suggestion and join an existing discussion when appropriate.

Most likely, this Post will be merged with the above.

Best of Luck
Userlevel 2
How about adding predefined Zone Groups so that users could create named Zone Groups rather than having to select zones every time.

A user could for example create a named zone group called "Ground Floor" which would automatically link all ground floor Zone Player without having to select each one, the user could then also have a zone group called "Shared Spaces" which would include all Zone Players in communal areas, including some from from the group "Ground Floor" .... and the list goes on..

- just hope I managed to explain the idea.
Badge
The thing I hate about groups is that a zoneplayer loses its playlist when removed from a group.
Userlevel 2
I'd love the ability to have quick zone groups. Sure, it is very easy to link zones together, but it'd be nice to have the ability to create "presets" like "Upstairs", "Downstairs" etc.

Just a thought. :)

**EDIT: Thanks whoever merged the thread -- apologies for not seeing this thread before posting mine.
SeanMo, I merged your post with a thread which is on much the same theme.
Userlevel 2
Simple example would be:
Breakfast ... lower volumes, group Kitchen + patio + family room

Party... all zones with the volumes already figured out.

etc.

Thanks: I thought I read each one first ... and figured others would have already said that!
Userlevel 2
I'd like to add to this:

I too would very much welcome better "zoning" as well!

In this context I would also like to see that zones remain connected (virtually) even if one or all components are powered down completely. i.e. unplugged.

all my Sonos comonents are only getting power at times when i typically need them. whenever the power gets turned back on automatically and they start to power up, like 6AM every day, i'd love to see them reconnecting the predefined zones (in my case both bathrooms) and start a predefined radio station...

all of this only seems to work, if you run them always-on.
Userlevel 2
ugh.. have not even connected up my sonos system yet as a newbie and assumed that this sort of zone functionality would have been there... basically want 'upstairs' 'downstairs' but also 'kitchen' which happens to be 'downstairs'

do these things ever get resolved? looks like this one has bene going on for a while.
Userlevel 2
Buzz

Ahh, KISS, I should have known that.

I do hope there is some “wiggle room” in their development philosophy. Because I fear if they keep doing updates like the last one that was 90% fluff I fear they’re going to start losing their customer base to other systems with more advanced options… Much like the iPhone is losing ground to the Android OS by leaps and bounds… Boy that hurt to say that… I love my Apple products. :)

Here’s hoping.

Insilico
KISS: see Wiktionary
Buzz

I'd like to highlight your "traction here" comment vs "started 6 years ago" :-)

insilico,

First post! Welcome to the forums.

As you see I have moved you post. Mostly because I thought that it would get more traction here and I feel that the suggestion here would cover your request.

I can imagine some implementation issues for a scheme that works exactly as you requested.

For example, the order of building the group can be problematic if the smaller room that one is currently listening to was playing at an unusually high level, it is possible that the added room would need to play at a higher than possible level while following the rules vector. Of course, the current room's volume could be lowered. Personally I would be a little annoyed if the current room's volume changed. As each new room is added, this drama will repeat.

A simple room by room scheme can't anticipate the end point.

---

I'm not so sure that this thread is very high on the development team's list because it will add a little complexity to the user interface and they are huge followers of the KISS principle.
Userlevel 2
Buzz

Thanks for the welcome and thanks for moving the post to the correct thread.. Though I think I liked my title better.. :)

I agree with the other posters, Sonos needs to get this fixed. And I believe “fixed” is the correct word. This is a problem with the Sonos system that needs to be addressed as users build out more and more zones. The clunky volume slide bar and the need to initially adjust the volume on all zones after a grouping is simply a development oversight. Heck, I’m even fine with the volume slide bar if the other aspect could be fixed.

As to your last point… I’m all about a “Keep It Simple” (what’s the other S for again) interface but there is always room for an “advanced” button or menu for those of us that dare to enter…

Thanks
insilico,

First post! Welcome to the forums.

As you see I have moved you post. Mostly because I thought that it would get more traction here and I feel that the suggestion here would cover your request.

I can imagine some implementation issues for a scheme that works exactly as you requested.

For example, the order of building the group can be problematic if the smaller room that one is currently listening to was playing at an unusually high level, it is possible that the added room would need to play at a higher than possible level while following the rules vector. Of course, the current room's volume could be lowered. Personally I would be a little annoyed if the current room's volume changed. As each new room is added, this drama will repeat.

A simple room by room scheme can't anticipate the end point.

---

I'm not so sure that this thread is very high on the development team's list because it will add a little complexity to the user interface and they are huge followers of the KISS principle.
Userlevel 2
Sorry about the thread title it’s all I could come up with at the time. Here’s my dilemma, I have 9 Sonos zones in my house, some using ZP 120s and others using ZP 5’s all in different size rooms with different acoustics. Every time I put the house into party mode or even join two zones that are close to each other I have to play with the volume controls to get a consistent volume between the zones. This gets VERY annoying after a while.
I’m no programmer but it seems to me that somehow you should be able to create a consistent volume between zones without all the playing with the slider bar (The slider bar is annoying also but that’s a post that’s already on the forum). Is it not possible to create a setup where when a person links say Zone 1 to Zone 2 for example that Zone 2 always has a volume 12% higher than Zone 1, or that Zones 3 is 15% lower than Zone 1 and 3% higher than Zone 2? This seems like a perfect candidate for an array table or small database or some other developer magic I can’t think of.
Apology number 2: If this been discussed already please forgive the post. I didn’t see it in my search.
Thanks
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
+1 - With 12 zones it take far too long to setup say all upstairs as a "grouped zone". I am sure like many others we have a number of regular "group zones" we use and it is a bit frustrating to have to set them up from scratch each time.

Regarding the zone screen, on the CR200 it only shows the first 3 zones and then a message like “plus 9 more zones”. Why? when there is loads of space on the CR200’s screen to list them all.
6 years and 4 months since I asked for virtual groups.

The UI is desperate for an overhaul - it's overly 'fat' and 90% of the menu system is never used (in our household). It needs collapsing and organising.

With 10 zones, I'd also like the zone screen to be collapsed - I don't need to know what's playing but a playing status (ie paused/playing/stopped) is OK. I'd like to see side by side just like we already have in the main system menu (music library/radio/etc)
Userlevel 1
Badge
I'm on my knees now, BEGGING Sonos to add this critical feature... it's madenning how many times I have to group/ungroup zones for specific needs/purposes.

It has literally gotten to the point where I just DON'T GROUP out of pure 'oh gosh can't be bothered with it again!'

Especially if you have a trusty ol' CR100.
Userlevel 1
Badge
This topic hadn't occurred to me but was brought to my attention when installing 7 zones in a client's home and the client asked for just this.

Being able to choose Upstairs, Downstairs, Kids play or whatever would be very handy.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
I'm so glad this topic has re-surfaced. It's over six years now since palmlodge started it.

Like Robert way back in post #31, and countless others since, my Sonos footprint has recently grown to the point where I too would appreciate Virtual Zones or Groups, c/w preset initial volume levels.

This whole concept of zone management really needs a shake-up, so that controllers can be associated (only if desired) with a specific zone or zones (or indeed Virtual Zone/Group), and also banned from any control whatever over other specific zones. A System Administrator screen, not generally visible to casual users and password protected, could be used to configure the entire Sonos system to suit he/she who paid for the kit in the first place!

In my view it is vital that Sonos continues to evolve, or others will take its best bits and add to it over time. This thread has run for ages, so I do hope the company are reading and acting upon this vocal forum community's inputs?
+1. I have not purchased zones for my bedrooms, and I will not until I can isolate those players. Thats a sales loss of 4 zone players for my household alone.
Userlevel 2
Hi everybody

I'm not quite sure whether this idea has already posted someone else by fall I'm sorry but could not find them.
I would be very helpful if you could find different store zones, ie eg. Zone Alarm wherever the same players including without which I must connect them again and again. Just as the party mode other areas could be permanently saved himself.
I hope you know about what I mean ....

Sorry for the bad english...

Greetz Matchef
Userlevel 2
+1 for me too.
Userlevel 2
Yet another vote for this feature. I am surprised that there are so many requests for this type of thing, going back years.

To add that it isn't just existing users who would like this. I was in John Lewis (LARGE chain of Dept Stores in the UK) today, next to a neat display system for showing off the SONOS system. A couple were asking questions and were talking about "defined sets of zones", so they could set up zones for Kids, Party etc. They seemed quite disappointed, the salesman to his credit did say the system often gets updates and gave the iPad controller as an example.
After 6 years since I asked for this, you have to wonder if this has any serious traction.