Virtual Zones and Zone Grouping

• 27 February 2005
  • 190 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

190 replies

Userlevel 2
There are definitely zones that I don't "need" that I would likely add if I had the ability to group and persist them.

For example:

Bedroom Bathroms
Hallways

In some cases I got around this by wiring, the hard way, what would have been more easily handled with additional zone players. In other cases I abandoned the thought all together.

Has anyone else put off purchasing additional zones due to the absence of "virtual zones"?
No, but I think the Virtual Zone is a great idea...
Userlevel 2
I like the virutal zones suggestion. :rolleyes:

I want allso to see a feature like give premission to control some zones from a specified control or hide "these zones" on specifed controller.

Example:

My children share a zone player in the playroom with a control and can play what they want but they can allso change music/volym round the house if they want or without knowing it.

Wavey
Userlevel 2
I personally like this idea... it has been suggested before with names such as 'zone scenes' or 'zone profiles'.

I think its a good idea, though can appreciate that it would be a good amount of UI work to get just right and not be confusing...

Its on the Radar for the PM guys, but not in the near term from what i know.

best,
-graham

Wow....this is about as much as Sonos give away on anything!

Personally I think its a great idea....the UI is simple - the same way you add zones now - you just have another option "create virtual zone", then you either display these amoungst acutal zones (taking the highest common denominator if any are ever selected) or (my prefered option) virtual zones is a soft key at the bottom of the zones screen. When selected, the zones screen behaves the sames for virtual zones (Again on link zones or drop zones you take the highest common denominator). If you go back to the standard Zone screen, the actual zones are joined as per the virtual zone config. Easy....not confusing.:D
I have grown my Sonos footprint from about 4 zones to now about 20 zones. As my Sonos footprint grew I have starting wanting a couple of features that I did not need when I had a smaller set up.

First, I would like a way to save zone configurations. This would be an extension to the existing "[All Zones - Party Mode]" configuration. In an ideal world users could create additional named configurations like "Morning Radio" or "Evening Party". So for example "Morning Radio" would link all the hallway zones and the master bedroom zones and the kitchen and family room zones. Because I have outside zones that I don't want linked even with an all house party even the existing [All Zones - Party Mode] does not usually work for me.

The second feature it to make all the volumes for the selected zones be equal. Presumably this would b e a new button on the volume dialog. If I link 10 or more zones it is a pain to get all the volumes to be equal. The work around is to lower, as a group, all the zones to zero then bring them all back up the desired volume but this is a hack.

Thanks,
Robert
Group Volume sync 2nd'ed !
Userlevel 2
Yep, group volume for me too – maybe even volume presets.. so you can set 5 or 6 user defined moods, then apply them to a group

Also group configs would be good too..
Moods sounds good. I would be for a function where you set up a group of linked zones with certain levels with a certain playlist and play mode, like shuffle, and then have an option "save mood". The mood would give you this setup back at any time. You could have a mood "disco party" or "summer pool day" and have the music in your house set up with just one preset.
Userlevel 2
Badge +5
I would like to see a "zone groups" feature where I can group and control zones together, i.e. turn down volume or drop links for Bedrooms group, etc.

This would be user selectable not based on names, i.e. I might want a group called "first floor" for all zone players located on the same floor. This would greatly simplify zone management in large installations and I bet be a welcomed addition by many owners.
Hi all

I'm sure I'm not alone in that I vary my zone groupings on a regular basis, sometimes just the Family room, other times I add the Dining and Living rooms, the point being I'm frequently dropping and adding zones.

Why can't we have the ability to setup groups and then simply select the group that suits?

So I could have 'Family - morning' with just the Family Room zone and 'Family - evening' with both Family room and Dining room zones - you get the idea.

So press the 'Zones' button and along with the list of zones you see a 'Soft Zones' Option. Select this and you see the list of previously setup zones, scroll and select - job done. Next time you press the 'Zones' button you still see all the Soft zones with an option for 'Hard Zones', point being the system remembers which type of zone you've selected

Sonos is by far the best system out there so many thx.

R 1

7 ZP100s, 3 controllers = 1 brilliant system
Userlevel 2
For those of us with lots of zone players, it would be great to be able to group together different zones quickly and easily. I know that the folks at Sonos take the time to listen to us, so I have no doubt that this is on its way. Since v 2.5 came out, I feel like it's a struggle to find ways to make Sonos better. Keep up the great work.

9 (yes, nine) zones, 5 (yes, five) controllers...deal with THAT!
Userlevel 2
Badge +4
It would be great if I could define multiple zones to behave as one. For example, in the family room I have 2 pairs of speakers on opposite sides of the room, each fed by a zp100. It would be nice to have these behave as one.

Even better would be the above, but with the ability to have seperate vol control. For example, in my Master bedroom I have a zone and the Master bath I have another. I only ever want these to play the same music. I would like discreet vol control in these to zones, but to always be on the same source.

Thanks, Pete
Userlevel 2
Badge +4
How about the ability to hide zones from a controller?

It would be nice to hide the Master bedroom and bath zones from all but those controllers.

Thanks, Pete
Userlevel 1
Badge
I may be misunderstanding your need here, but why aren't you just LINKING the 2 zones together using your controller? There is an option for that. They will behave as one, and the volume may be adjusted independently, or in unison.
Userlevel 2
Badge +4
I may be misunderstanding your need here, but why aren't you just LINKING the 2 zones together using your controller? There is an option for that. They will behave as one, and the volume may be adjusted independently, or in unison.

They can get seperated when linked. Say that I add them to All Zones, or maybe the Deck. Then, I have to drop them individually and rejoin them. I don't ever want them to play seperate sources. I would like them to play the same source and link and unlink to other zones as one. Also, the alarm function doesn't work when they are linked. Often I link kitchen, office, living room, master bedroom and master bath in the evening. In the am when my alarm goes off, it is master bedroom only. I'd like it in the bath too, but not the other zones.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I think what you are asking for then is what others have been requesting as 'Virtual Zones'. Search the forums and you will find some threads on that...
Userlevel 2
Badge +4
I think what you are asking for then is what others have been requesting as 'Virtual Zones'. Search the forums and you will find some threads on that...

Virtual Zones or maybe groups would work. In the case of the Family room where I have 2 ZP100s, it would be nice to have them only be one entry in the zone menu, and have them track vol and all other settings and behaviors identically.
Club Chapin,

Welcome to the forums. As you see I've moved your post. Now you are part of the chorus.
the virtual zone feature is a nice request. You should be able to define a zone that is actually, say, 2 discrete ZPs, but they act as one zone in all the menus. Yes, I know this is the same as linking, but it should happen for you. In other words, if I select the virtual zone, play a track, it should play on both ZPs. Rather than select zone A, play track, link menu, select zone B, link zone etc. Also, if I'm playing a track on zone A, and then link in the virtual zone, I should now have 3 ZPs in sync. Alarms are another good example, set up an alarm for a virtual zone to trigger the alarm for all ZPs in that zone.

If you step back and rethink this, a zone does not have to equate to a player. A 'zone' is actually an area. Players should be a separate menu item buried in the setup. By default, a player should of course be a zone (ie the current behaviour), by why restrict me to a zone being only one player? I should be able to create as many zones as I like, each with 1, 2 or up to 32 players in it.

Zones are not players...

db
Userlevel 2
Badge +4
If you step back and rethink this, a zone does not have to equate to a player. A 'zone' is actually an area. Players should be a separate menu item buried in the setup. By default, a player should of course be a zone (ie the current behaviour), by why restrict me to a zone being only one player? I should be able to create as many zones as I like, each with 1, 2 or up to 32 players in it.

Yes!!! I second this!
Userlevel 2
Badge +4
Club Chapin,

Welcome to the forums. As you see I've moved your post. Now you are part of the chorus.

Thanks. Is there a way to set up the forums so that subscriptions follow? My thread was merged and I was unsubscribed and not notified. I found it though. Seems like a similar topic.
Club Chapin,

Not that I am aware of.

If I move a thread to another forum, an expiring move notice can be left behind. If I simply move a few posts, nothing is left.

Some users feel a sense of ownership in the thread that they start and are annoyed if we merge it with an existing thread. For this type of user a note in the thread, explaining the move, helps to avoid keyboard rage from the OP (original poster). Later, these explaining messages become part of the clutter that we were trying to avoid.

I could send a private message to the OP. This is a little more work for me and would tend to encourage private dialogs. Personally, unless the message is very personal (such as where to meet for a drink), I think that the dialogs should be kept public so that they can provide maximum benefit for all.

In your case I inserted one notice and simply moved some other posts with no ceremony.

Our goal is to keep the forms orderly and make searches more productive. We only censor spam and grossly inappropriate language.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
32 zones, that's 4,294,967,295 possible combinations...apparently.

We have 6 players, but reconfigure them constantly into only 3 zone configurations (other than single player zones). Generally when zoned up one way we are listening to very different content than when zoned another . Consequently, along with virtual zones we'd value virtual queues. In other words, when a zone is restored the queue that was last in effect when that zone was playing could be restored with it.
For persistent queues, I think the best solution is to save as a playlist (ie use existing functionality). Regardless whether this is a single zone or multiple, linked zones.

Maybe a twist on your suggestion might be an automatic playlist generated from the last queue. That way we'd get the best of both worlds.

db
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
For persistent queues, I think the best solution is to save as a playlist (ie use existing functionality).

You can use existing functionality to regroup zones as well. The concept of creating virtual zones is to reduce the strokes necessary to regularly reconfigure. In my case the reconfiguration also calls for a complete change out in the content, usually back to the "queue-list" that was playing when the zone was dismantled. I often try to leave one player hanging on the zone just to keep that queue intact. Saving and naming playlists prior to each zone change is IMO a much bigger hassle than reconfiguring the zones themselves (automatic would certainly help). But much simpler would be to associate the queue with the zone, just like SONOS does today with the added benefit of having that queue persist without having to have it occupy a player to do it.