Using NAS with SONOS

• 1 November 2021
  • 2 replies

Hi all,

I quickly want to share my experience I have made over the weekend regarding my Sonos system playing songs from my NAS (Synology). I have setup the connection between the NAS and the Sonos system quite a while ago and have just used it seldomly. Now I wanted to play some songs again over last weekend and realized that the connection / integration did not work anymore. No clue since when it failed.

I tried different options including deleting / recreating the connection, creation of new users on the NAS, changing the password of the users and so on. I found articles in the net giving me the hint to check that the NAS is set to support SMBv1; but this one was enabled.

FINALLY I found one article that helped me to solve the issue: two main conditions are necessary to make it work again: SMBv1 must be supported / enabled and NTLMv1 (as authentication layer) needs to be enabled / supported as well. Caused by updates and a higher default security level on the NAS the NTLMv1 was not enabled (anymore) and therefore it did not work anymore.

2 additional thoughts on this one:

• First of all I want to share this finding to hopefully save time for others. I spent 2-3 hours until it was working again…
  • Second I contacted the Sonos support by chat and asked them if this can be entered as an error / bug and solved. They now agreed to enter it as future enhancement request. In general I think that such changes, protocol changes, security improvements and so on need to be more or less the basic of solid software. Until this is not solved by Sonos I am running a lower security level on my NAS. Sonos itself even warns in some articles about this lower security level. To me it is very important to treat such issues as bugs that need to be enabled and solved with priority as they weaken the security level of the integration / solution.

What do you think? Comments are more than welcome.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Thanks for the information here, but just to add it is mentioned in other earlier threads.This relates to the SMB v1 protocol issue and just for your info. Sonos have announced they plan to move to SMBv2 (or higher) which will resolve the matter. See the links below:

https://en.community.sonos.com/advanced-setups-229000/smb1-security-issue-lack-of-response-from-sonos-6860761?postid=16551779#post16551779

hi @hoopman_01 you did not mention which DSM version you are using but you may give it a try again to use SMBv2 as I outlined in this post - some users have album artwork issues with it but for me it works fine