UPnP Problems, no Rhapsody

• 22 October 2005
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 2
I've kept my computer fairly locked down. I recently got a Sonos system and I'm having some issues:

I can get both Zone Players to see the remote and the PC software sees them fine. However, they do not show up anywhere as UPnP devices. I made sure both UPnP "services" were active (I had previously manually disabled them).

I reinstalled the Netbios protocol.

I don't think I have any ports blocked or anything in my router.

I'm using ZoneAlarm (free) and Rhapsody works fine - but it won't show up in the Sonos app or on the remote

Any thoughts?

4 replies

Userlevel 2
Sorry if I misunderstood your post and you've already tried this, but ... You should just have to start the Rhapsody UPnP Server... Uner Tools -> Preferences -> Rhapsody Server (UPnP)... click "Start UPnP Server once logged in" and then click the Start Button... eventually the ZPs should populate in the Compatible Devices grid and you should see Rhapsody(YourPCName) in the Sonos Controller as long as Rhapsody is running.
Jinsai, does Sonos see Rhapsody when your firewall is disabled? Your firewall may be allowing Rhapsody to access the network but not Rhapsody's UPnP server.
Userlevel 2
Yeah, if I turn off ZoneAlarm, it shows up just fine.

I don't like the idea of leaving it off to access music - are there some settings I can employ to fix it? I am using the latest 'free' version.
Userlevel 2
Yeah, if I turn off ZoneAlarm, it shows up just fine.

I don't like the idea of leaving it off to access music - are there some settings I can employ to fix it? I am using the latest 'free' version.

You can find the FAQ on ZoneAlarm for Sonos products here https://sonos.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/sonos.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=183

Have you gone thru these steps? Have you tried setting up the Rhapsody app in the same way it suggests setting up the Sonos Desktop Controller?

-graham