Answered

Update SMB on Sonos

Does anyone have any idea why Sonos won’t update SMB?  It is literally 15 years out of date.  If you want to use local media files, are there any other options?  

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 18 August 2021, 02:10

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

It’s been discussed in multiple threads, over and over, without Sonos input. I’d recommended searching and reading those threads. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Several options are available. Use Mac or Windows storage that supports modern connections.

NAS manufacturers could add the same options to their devices but don’t seem interested.

If you have a NAS and want to use it the cleanest solution (in my opinion) is an external NAS to SMB gateway that connects to the NAS in a read-only mode using any secure protocol and it then offers an insecure SMB v1 read-only connection that Sonos can attach to.

Other folks are looking at Docker or other local solutions. I’m not as I do not want SMB v1 enabled on any device that has direct access to my data.

Perhaps also see this recent post:

SMB v2 / v3 to be supported by Sonos:

https://en.community.sonos.com/advanced-setups-229000/smb1-security-issue-lack-of-response-from-sonos-6860761?postid=16551779#post16551779

Too little too late.  SMB1 has been out of date for almost 15 years!  I’ve replaced my Sonos Connect with a Bluesound Node.   It supports SMB.   Setup was a snap, I can access my NAS device nicely now and use Tidal.  The Node’s onboard DAC is better than the DAC I have built into my integrated amp so I just connected the RCA outs of the Node to my amp’s RCA inputs.  The Bluesound Node sounds much better that a Sonos Connect for about the same money.   Also, you can connect Bluetooth headphones to the Bluesound Node.   The sound is awesome.  I thought Bluetooth is Bluetooth but my headphones sound a lot better with the Bluesound Node than they did with my iPhone.   Win win situation here.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

So you posted just to spam about Bluesound. Thanks for wasting our time!

That was not my intention.  I was hoping I could update SMB on my Connect device.   For several years, I have been very happy with it.   Hopefully, I saved other people from wasting their time trying to update SMB on their Sonos device.

That was not my intention.  I was hoping I could update SMB on my Connect device.   For several years, I have been very happy with it.   Hopefully, I saved other people from wasting their time trying to update SMB on their Sonos device.

If your ‘Connect’ is S1 compatible only and quite some years old, then I doubt it will have the hardware capability anyway, but that’s the same with lots of ‘old’ hardware where manufacturers have moved onto newer products, with faster hardware and more storage capability - I have old phones and tablets that are no longer updated due to their old hardware ‘limitations’.

If the ‘Connect’ is S2 compatible and you are running on that system, then it’s just a case of waiting a little longer for the update, or so the announcement in the other thread, suggests.

The Bluesound Node sounds much better that a Sonos Connect for about the same money.  

Um, nope.  

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-and-measurements-of-bluesound-node-2i-streamer.6631/

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/bluesound-node-review-streamer.25578/

Oddly, it sounds much better than the Sonos Connect.   If the Connect only supported SMB2 we could all do some A/B comparisons.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Oddly, it sounds much better than the Sonos Connect.   If the Connect only supported SMB2 we could all do some A/B comparisons.

You said that seriously and weren’t trying to play the foole?

How does the transport method’s authentication protocol have any impact on the data being transported?

If you can’t access your flac files with the Connect device, you’re not doing any A/B comparisons.  That’s the whole point of this thread, the Sonos Connect doesn’t work with any modern network devices.   SMB1 is very insecure, there is no excuse for using a network protocol that is literally 15 years out of date.