Answered

Update for Spotify free

• 7 November 2018
  • 24 replies

Userlevel 1
Looks like Spotify just announced they will now allow free accounts to stream through connect. Can you let us know if this will be implemented for Sonos and approximate timing?
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 12 November 2019, 20:39

Starting today with Sonos version 10.5.1, Spotify Free accounts work on Sonos players, including using Spotify apps to direct control Sonos players. Check out our announcement here for more details!

View original

24 replies

Looks like Spotify just announced they will now allow free accounts to stream through connect. Do you have a link for that please? Spotify Free can already be played via Spotify Connect to some devices, but not others (Sonos being among the others).
Userlevel 1
No link to Spotify announcements but has been reported several sites. Here is one https://www.theverge.com/2018/11/7/18071464/spotify-connect-free-tier-ad-supported-premium
Thanks. Although it seems a shame to play such a low bit-rate stream through a decent speaker.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
We don't have any specific plans around adding Spotify Free support that I can let you in on today. It's great to see them starting to open up the service plan and I'll make sure our team knows you're interested in seeing the Free subscription working on Sonos. If we have any news to share, we'll be sure to post it here on the community.

Thanks for reaching out!
It would be a nice thing to have though, despite the bitrate...
It would be a nice thing to have though, despite the bitrate...Yeah, much as it pains me, it is hard to argue against more choice. It's just a question of priorities really....
Badge
Just recently cancelled my Spotify Premium subscription (though may re-up later). Would still love to be able to use Spotify Free via my Sonos speakers though. I'm hoping Sonos will somehow update their software soon to accommodate this new feature. I'm certain a particular subset of consumers (those avoiding Bluetooth speakers) would be more inclined towards buying Sonos speakers if Spotify Free were supported.
I agree with everybody here it would be great if Sonos would start to upgrade it's a shame that if we had to wait so long for Google Assistant I'm really hope that they're going to start to operate this point can you please tell me when this is going to happen or if it's even in on the Rope map?
Note that Sonos doesn’t determine what Spotify streams through the service. They provide the API to Spotify, who has to do whatever work is necessary.
Well I found a easy way to play spotify on my sonos. Installl spotify on phone or similar. On my tv I have a firestick which plays to sonos living room. From my spotify app i can share to firestick. Then group to my other sonos such as kitchen or recroom. Works great. Hope this helps
Looks like Spotify just announced they will now allow free accounts to stream through connect. Can you let us know if this will be implemented for Sonos and approximate timing?We don't have any specific plans around adding Spotify Free support that I can let you in on today. It's great to see them starting to open up the service plan and I'll make sure our team knows you're interested in seeing the Free subscription working on Sonos. If we have any news to share, we'll be sure to post it here on the community.

Thanks for reaching out!

Hi @Ryan S ,

Are there any news on the next steps?

Thanks and regards,

Javi
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
No news to share just yet, but I'll be in touch as soon as there is some.
No news to share just yet, but I'll be in touch as soon as there is some.

Thanks @Ryan S for your reply. I will be keeping a close eye to this thread as I would return my SONOS if support for Spotify Free is not added, as it is the most common use of Spotify for friends and family.

Thanks and Regards,

Javi
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Thanks @Ryan S for your reply. I will be keeping a close eye to this thread as I would return my SONOS if support for Spotify Free is not added, as it is the most common use of Spotify for friends and family.

Thanks and Regards,

Javi

If you are seriously waiting for Spotify Free to be included then your best bet to ask is Spotify themselves. Personally I very much doubt it will happen. If this really is a deal breaker for you then if it were me i would return the kit now whilst you still have that option. If the free service then becomes available buy it again. Seems a waste to have speakers boxed and doing nothing?

Another idea is if you mobile contract is up for renewal have a look at one that includes Spotify subscription. For me this worked out at less than an extra £1 per month, which is unnoticeable extra.

Thanks and Regards,

Javi
If you are seriously waiting for Spotify Free to be included then your best bet to ask is Spotify themselves. Personally I very much doubt it will happen. If this really is a deal breaker for you then if it were me i would return the kit now whilst you still have that option. If the free service then becomes available buy it again. Seems a waste to have speakers boxed and doing nothing?

Another idea is if you mobile contract is up for renewal have a look at one that includes Spotify subscription. For me this worked out at less than an extra £1 per month, which is unnoticeable extra.

That's probably what I will do. All this would have been fixed with a simple jack input in the back 😞
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
You mean like they have on the Play 5 or connect?
Correct, but on the smaller units 😉
I simply cannot believe that I cannot stream Spotify free (or other unsupported services) to my Sonos Beam speaker that cost 500$. That there is no way that Sonos allows you to stream wirelessly/Bluetooth directly to the speaker from your device is mind boggling. I am seriously dumbfounded that this is not supported. I could find a work around through my receiver (stream to my receiver which is hard wired to the speaker, as the beam does have an HDMI input) but the purpose of having a Sonos was in large part so I did not have to do this! Is there any way to know if and when this will become supported? I wish this had been made clear prior to purchase, I guess I will have to return it?
I simply cannot believe that I cannot stream Spotify free (or other unsupported services) to my Sonos Beam speaker that cost 500$. That there is no way that Sonos allows you to stream wirelessly/Bluetooth directly to the speaker from your device is mind boggling. I am seriously dumbfounded that this is not supported. I could find a work around through my receiver (stream to my receiver which is hard wired to the speaker, as the beam does have an HDMI input) but the purpose of having a Sonos was in large part so I did not have to do this! Is there any way to know if and when this will become supported? I wish this had been made clear prior to purchase, I guess I will have to return it?
Or pay for Spotify, and avoid the low bit rate, ad-strewn nightmare that is Spotify Free. Why did you buy the Beam in the first place if you are not bothered about sound quality?

Service subscription requirements are 100% on the part of the service. Sonos makes no decisions on these requirements, and as shown by Pandora, Slacker, and others, Sonos is perfectly willing to carry free services on their system. Your complaint and/or questions should be to Spotify, not Sonos.
Hi John and jgatie, thank you for your opinion on Spotify free. And that this is a limitation on spotify’s End of things. I respectfully disagree. I (wrongly) expected, and I think it is fair to assume it would be nice, that I can use the speaker to meet my household music needs for streaming. Accomplishing this, ie the flexibility to use their hardware (speakers) in various wireless setups that would include Spotify for example, can be accomplished easily
in many different ways (addition of bluetooth for example). I wrongly assumed that this flexibility existed, as it has existed in every other wireless set up I have encountered. That is what I am surprised and disappointed about. For future reference, there are different people in my house with different music needs, please avoid audiophile or service preference comments as, even if I agree with you, they are not helpful.
Hi John and jgatie, thank you for your opinion on Spotify free. And that this is a limitation on spotify’s End of things. I respectfully disagree. I (wrongly) expected, and I think it is fair to assume it would be nice, that I can use the speaker to meet my household music needs for streaming. Accomplishing this, ie the flexibility to use their hardware (speakers) in various wireless setups that would include Spotify for example, can be accomplished easily
in many different ways (addition of bluetooth for example). I wrongly assumed that this flexibility existed, as it has existed in every other wireless set up I have encountered. That is what I am surprised and disappointed about. For future reference, there are different people in my house with different music needs, please avoid audiophile or service preference comments as, even if I agree with you, they are not helpful.

You obviously bought the wrong speaker. Hopefully you are within the return period and can easily get a refund.
Sonos does what it is designed to do brilliantly (e.g. multiroom sync). It doesn't do some things, and you can see that as a lack of flexibility. An overworked analogy on here is that a Ferrari could be said to lack the flexibility to go off-road.

I assume you are an Android household, and so Airplay 2 doesn't help?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Starting today with Sonos version 10.5.1, Spotify Free accounts work on Sonos players, including using Spotify apps to direct control Sonos players. Check out our announcement here for more details!