Answered

Unable to Stream Amazon Music Ultra HD when pairing Sub with Sonos One Products

• 21 August 2022
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

I’ve spent months trying to figure this out.  Through trial and error, I confirmed that when pairing a Sonos sub with a Sonos One, or One SL, I can only stream Amazon music in HD, and not Ultra HD.  A post from Dec 2021 confirms this as another user had the same issue with Play 5s.  Pairing the Sub with my Arc is fine, and streams Ultra HD.  Again from the other post, this is true for the Sonos Beam.  I will be reaching out to Support.  Looking forward to a fix.  I bought a 2nd sub to pair with my speakers for the enhanced music experience.  It would be great to stream to this setup in Ultra HD.

icon

Best answer by Mr. T 22 August 2022, 01:22

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7

There is not going to be any fix.

HD is the maximum you will get outside a home theatre setup when using an older sub.

The support pages were eventually updated to state the following:

What bitrate and format does Amazon Music stream in?

Ultra HD audio playback is not supported on Connect:Amp, Play:1, Play:3, Playbase, Playbar, Sub (Gen 1), and Sub (Gen 2). 

Userlevel 1
Badge

that sucks !!! 

Thanx for the info Mr T.

You do realise that 24-bit ‘UHD’ extends the dynamic range from ‘more than sufficient for human hearing’ (16-bit) to ‘way more than sufficient for human hearing’? 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Considering I gave up my paradigm listening room, in favour of Sonos Wifi so I could enjoy music while being mobile, I am more than happy with the HD bit rate.  Even MP3 320kbps sounds good with all the background noise in my home.

What sucks is that a the mega expensive Sub that I bought just 3 years ago, is already heading for EOL.  That’s the cost of keeping up with the Joneses I guess

Heading for EOL? Nonsense.

Apart from a bespoke hardware control unit (CR100) and a dock for ancient iDevices, I don’t believe Sonos has actually withdrawn support from anything. 

If past experience is anything to go by your kit will still be working fine for many many years to come. And since you’re happy with HD and even satisfied with 320k why get so upset about a Sub that doesn’t support 8 bits of resolution that you’d never hear anyway? 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Who said I was “so upset” ?

Disappointed that I spent a lot of time troubleshooting this, thinking it was a config issue???  Yes..  Disappointed that Sonos decided not to correct this??  Yes… But maybe it’s a hardware limitation and their hands are tied. Not a show stopper by any means  Sonos has taken wireless music to new levels… enjoy