Unable to play - the file cannot be found

• 19 August 2017
  • 16 replies

I have a pair of Play 5s and for the second time they won't play any music. I connect them through my Spotify app and when I try to play a song it doesn't play...just skips to the next one, and the next one. In the Sonos app it says "Unable to play [song] - file cannot be found."

This is not a problem with the files. They have been playing perfectly fine for over a year. The first time this happened it magically corrected itself, but now it's not so I can't play anything. Help please

(I hope the answer is not having to restart a bunch of devises. It will be really, really annoying and disappointing to have to do that every time my Sonos' act up now.)

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

16 replies

BTW - diagnostic number 7732827
Does anyone have any help to give me?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Sonos will reply to your diagnostic at some point but your symptoms are that of duplicate IPs. This can happen after an update or if you have a power cut for example.
It is likely Sonos will suggest you re-boot your system as follows:-

Switch off your Wi-Fi Router
Switch off ALL your Sonos kit
Switch off ALL devices connected to your Network
- Computers, Laptops, Tablets
- Smartphones, thick phones
- NAS

Switch on Router. Wait until it has re-connected to the internet
Switch on Sonos Bridge and/or Boost, Connect - Wait a minute or two for them to connect
Switch on your Sonos Plays and Playbar
Switch on all your other network devices

After that you can consider setting fixed IP addresses for your Sonos units in your router set menu
Well Sonos never replied?

I got it to work again by rebooting a few things as you said - and now, a week later the same exact thing is happening and the reboot is not working.

Setting fixed IPs is something that's a bit beyond me, and again something I'm pretty irked to have to try to do with a $1,000 setup.

Does anyone have an explanation for why this is happening and why Sonos does not fix it?
No one?
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Hi rilec I apologize that you're getting a late reply to this post. I took a look at the original diagnostic and I can see the left PLAY:5 of your stereo pair is having troubles communicating with the router. Based on the readings this may be due to a bit of wireless interference, so we'll want to have you change the wireless channel your router is operating on. Please log into the router and set the channel to a static 11. After making the change, test playback from Spotify again, and if you're still having troubles, submit another diagnostic and reply here with the number.
Hi all,

I'm experiencing the exact same issue as Rilec. Tried to reboot everything and worked for a day; then same issue. Switching channels doesn't seem to solve the problem. Any idea?

Diagnostic: 7867500

Many thanks in advance!
Thank you for the advice. The problem is still occurring. Will simply moving the router somewhere else solve this?
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Hi all,

I'm experiencing the exact same issue as Rilec. Tried to reboot everything and worked for a day; then same issue. Switching channels doesn't seem to solve the problem. Any idea?

Diagnostic: 7867500

Many thanks in advance!

Thanks for providing the diagnostic. I took a look at its readings and the communication looks pretty good, but there are points where communication to and from the router is being dropped. What other channel did you try? Based on the diagnostic it looks like channel 6 may be the least crowded, so it would be best to try that channel if you haven't already done so. After making the change, try Spotify again, and post back here with another diagnostic if you're still having playback problems. Can you also try to play a station using Radio by TuneIn to see if that also has troubles with playback?

Thank you for the advice. The problem is still occurring. Will simply moving the router somewhere else solve this?

Moving the router somewhere else may help, but I do not advise doing so just yet. When adjusting the wireless channels, did you try using multiple channels or just one? Do you notice playback issues from another music service, such as Radio by TuneIn?
I am having the same problem. Can't seem to fix it.
I am having the same problem. Some files work, others don't. Diagnostic number 8075981. Thank you in advance.
I'm wondering if hard wiring the system to wifi would solve the problem....
I am having the same problem and its been going on for over a year. Just submitted diagnostics and looking for advice. Thanks

Your confirmation number is: 8448606.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hey there, timonz4ksu. Thanks for posting. When users express a problem with their music library or with files not being able to be found, I recommend giving our support technicians a call to troubleshoot this in real time. They are able to set up a remote session and get you sorted.
The skipping and file error message do not occur in Amazon Music and my library. I primarily use Spotify and that's when the problems occur. Haven't tried Pandora.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Understood. Have you tried removing your Spotify account credentials and re-adding them to Sonos? I'm seeing quite a bit of physical electronic interference around the BRIDGE. This can be created by larger electronic appliances such as amplifiers. Can you describe the physical location around the BRIDGE?

Thanks!