Answered

Unable to play selected items message

• 17 February 2019
  • 5 replies

when accessing Pandora or other music services. Have not changed anything uggh!
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 17 February 2019, 22:48

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

First thing I'd do is try a simple reboot of your router, followed by the speakers. Could be a simple DNS refresh is needed.

Second, it's possible that you're being affected by wifi interference, caused by sources outside of your network.

Finally, if neither of those help, I'd suggest that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of replicating this issue, and either post the number here, or contact Sonos to discuss it. There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.
First thing I'd do is try a simple reboot of your router, followed by the speakers. Could be a simple DNS refresh is needed.

Second, it's possible that you're being affected by wifi interference, caused by sources outside of your network.

Finally, if neither of those help, I'd suggest that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of replicating this issue, and either post the number here, or contact Sonos to discuss it. There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.
Concise :)

Did one of those help?
Badge
This worked for me!
Countless re-boots of the router & modem were useless. Unplugging all of the speakers with the router made all the difference. I wonder how often this needs to be done and why.
It's a fix for duplicate IP addresses being handed out by your router. Some routers can "lose" their place in the DHCP table, where such data is stored. I've always assumed this is do to power surges, but it could just be bad code, I don't know. But effectively what that process does is reset the router, by power cycling it, and then causing the speakers to ask for new IP addresses. Because the router has been 'reset', it will hand out IP addresses that are appropriate.

The problem is, if your router has gotten in to this state once, there's a chance that it will again. Many of us have gone the extra step to reserve IP addresses in the router's DHCP table for not only our Sonos devices, but all devices that regularly connect to our router (both wifi and wired). It's considered good housekeeping for your network, but since it's designed to not be required, many people don't think of it as an issue.

Part of the process that Sonos does when they update software is a soft reboot of their devices, to switch from the old software to the new software. That causes each speaker to request a new IP address from your router....and if that router has lost track of where it was and what is connected, it can cause a duplicate address to get handed out, mostly to the Sonos. It would do the same thing to other devices that are rebooted, but there aren't many that do that kind of thing as "frequently" as Sonos does.

Hope this background helps your understanding of the issue.