Question

Unable to play my purchased music

I have been using Sonos for some time now, and recently I have found that I can only play music from streamed sites. Why is this? I have purchased lots of music through iTunes. This no longer shows in my library. I have tried playing from the I Tunes app but the only speaker with is visible is my Ikea light. This plays ok but when I group the other speakers to this I get random dropping out of the speaker. I know this is not my system as when I am streaming's the radio it all works fine. Please help I cannot afford to replace the speakers but currently they are useless to me. It would appear that the only way to get this to work would be to subscribe to Apple Music, but as I have already purchased the music I would be paying again for something that I own.

Please sort this out

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Hi.  Well if the system is now useless to you I wonder what you have been doing for the last 8 months.

This thread includes guidance on numerous other ways to play music you own, some of those options being free.  And most of them, IMO, preferable to playing music stored on the phone.

https://en.community.sonos.com/announcements-228985/on-this-iphone-or-ipad-no-longer-available-6829000

Hi John B

I have been using headphones!! I have tried using Google, but the quality of the music deteriorates when you up load, This did all work when I purchased the system with just the Sonos app. Now you have to link several apps just to get it to work. This is not user friendly.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

If you don’t like it, welcome to the club.  However the issue is with Apple who removed this facility to get 3rd parties to use Airplay 2, Sonos are not the only company who’ve been affected by Apples policy on this. 

If one of you speakers is Airplay 2 compatible you can still listen to the music on your phone via the airplay facility, or as John B points out there are other options in the mentioned thread.  If not then you could buy a Sonos unit that is apirplay compatible and be able to Play to any other speaker in you set up.

these are>-

• Beam
  • Amp
  • Sonos One
  • Playbase
  • Play:5 (second generation)
  • SYMFONISK
  • Move
  • One SL
  • Port

I have one Airplay 2 speaker, but when I group other speakers with it I get random drop out of the other speakers. Besides the selling point of Sonos was that you can listen to different music in each room. this is now not possible.

That sounds a lot like issues in your local network. Start by unplugging all your Sonos devices from power, then reboot your router. When the router comes back up, plug back in your Sonos devices. Remove / replace any BRIDGE you have, by instead plugging your Ethernet cable into a speaker, or the newer BOOST. Read the wifi interference FAQ and apply as many of those solutions as feasible. 

If you’re still having network issues after all that, I would recommend that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this issue, and contact Sonos Support to discuss it.

I usually suggest the phone folks, they have more tools available, and are available Monday through Friday during business hours. Twitter support folks are available 24/7.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

In what way do you group the Symfonisk with your other Sonos speakers? Do you use Apple Airplay 2, or do you Airplay to the Symfonisk and group that with other speakers from the Sonos app? The latter way of grouping seems more stable to me.

I get random drop out of the other speakers. Besides the selling point of Sonos was that you can listen to different music in each room. this is now not possible.

I’d suggest you read my post above.