Turning off the Sound Check - a difference in the sound quality - Airplay with Apple Music

• 13 June 2021
  • 1 reply

• Contributor I
  • 0 replies

Hello. 

Maybe this can be useful for more people using Apple Music lossless via Airplay 2.

I listen to my music with Sound check >  ON - all the time, but I noticed that the sound from Apple Music is not so clear as the sound from Tidal integration in the Sonos app. By clear, I mean not so bright highs, not so defined lower frequencies, and also mids. 

Well, not anymore.

After applying in the Settings > Music > Sound check > Off

AND 

Settings > Music > Dolby Atmos > Off (if it was on Automatic, or On)

The sound will immediately pop-up, as it should. 

(The change of Dolby Atmos settings is important here, because turning Sound check On or Off will not change the setting immediately).

I was surprised how the change is audible on my basic speakers. 

My setup: 

iPad 2019
Ikea Bookshelf Symfonisk after Trueplay calibration in the stereo pair

Tested with several records - Abbey Road from The Beatles, Diana Ross, etc. All in Lossless, or Hi-Res Lossless. 

Now, there is an ongoing discussion about the transmission of the sound via Airplay from Apple Music to Sonos. Is it 24/44.1, or 16/44.1, or AAC only? 

I can’t tell, but it sounds good to me. 

Thanks for reading! 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Vaso 

Welcome to the Sonos Community and thanks for sharing your findings!