Tunein radio station stops playing infrequently

Userlevel 2
Badge +4
When listening to tunein radio stations (several, not limited to a specific one), sometimes and varying intervals, playback is stopped and does not resume unless I press the play button on either remote.

Media stored on our NAS plays fine and without hiccups.

Anything I can do to have Sonos resume once connection has been lost? Quite annoying...

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

135 replies

I am having exactly the same problem. #3590376  "unable to play KLCC connection to TuneIn was lost"  I have also had this with KBOO ... this is quite frustrating.  I've had my sonos players for 8 years and have never had this problem before.  for the last 4-6 weeks my radio drops out 50x times a day,  SONOS WHAT CAN YOU DO TO HELP ME?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I too am having problems with radio cutting out its very annoying and we will not be buying any more units until the problem is resolved, I too have submitted diagnostics 4590741
Thanks for including that diagnostic, it helps a lot when troubleshooting an issue. Your PLAY:1 looks really good, the only errors I see related to radio are some troubles accessing BBC Radio 2. Do you have trouble with any other stations, non-BBC?

The reason I ask is that there are some issues with the available MP3 streams from BBC on Sonos. They dropped all but one stream for each station and moved to a format that we don't yet support in the way they developed it. We're currently working to get that added to Sonos but don't have an available timeline for when it'll be finalized.

If you're having trouble with any other stations please let us know and submit a diagnostic if it comes up, we're happy to take a look with you.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Thanks, how often do you have trouble with that station? Do any others have trouble?

Just so you know, though the station might be local from an analog perspective, all stations through TuneIn are online and therefore all of them, or none of them are 'local'. Most all online stations get hosted by a streaming service and could originate from all sorts of locales.
There seems to be a specific problem with streams from the BBC that is detracting from the main issue of general problems of streaming any radio stations. I still hold that connecting to a wired network if possible and disabling the wireless as per the below link resolves this. 
https://bsteiner.info/articles/disabling-sonos-wifi
It has made a massive difference for me - I may get 2-3 disconnections a day (mine is on from 6am until 9pm everyday) as opposed the every 2 minutes!!!
I am having the same problem with capital radio it will play for two minutes and then cut out. I also get it with napstee where connection to napster drops out
Userlevel 2
Badge
I too am having problems with radio cutting out its very annoying and we will not be buying any more units until the problem is resolved, I too have submitted diagnostics 4590741
This issue needs to be sorted. Our system became very unstable a couple of weeks back - i thought a general issue but seems to relate to bbc radio4 - what most of our units are tuned to most of the time. A complete pain - needs to be sussed out and fixed. Also would be good to have access to bbc's radio iplayer.
Userlevel 2
I too am having serious problems listening to radio via TuneIn. All the BBC stations play fine for a few minutes, then they start to stutter. If I stop and restart them, the same thing happens again. I have also experienced streams simply stopping after a period, for no reason, and the controller indicates they are still playing. I've submitted a diagnostic - 4603959 - in the hope that some light can be shed on why this is happening. It started when I updated to the new Beta software v5.4, as I'm a Sonos Beta Tester. Despite continuing to update to the latest patch, there is no improvement. I'm starting to tear my hair out, as I use Sonos to listen to the radio a lot, and alongside the problems of the BBC streams being non UK specific, this new problem is making me think about adding to my system........
I am also having the same issue with BBC streams. Until this issue is resolved, shouldn't SONOS make it clear (before purchase) that streaming of BBC radio is not supported? This is obviously of particular importance to the UK market.

What is the estimated timescale for a resolution?
Userlevel 2
Well another frustrated listener to the BBC streams via Sonos. Some small comfort comes from knowing it is a wider issue and not just my local network. What makes a mockery of it is that the Linn Radio 320kbps streams are flawless. The BBC streams are particularly bad today and whilst it certainly isn't Sonos's fault a resolution really needs finding asap. I too wouldn't consider adding further units to my considerable investment until I have a stable service back.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Sadley in the same boat... all 5 Sonos enabled rooms play fine (even brilliantly) from my NAS library.  Most radio programs via tunein work without issue....BUT  BBC Radio 4  falls out and stutters all the time for over a month now. Yet Radio4 plays very happily on a PC Browser via "tunein" webpage. Whats Up ?   Sonos used to work really well ....now I have to feed the system via a Kluge with a PC ...far from elegant not user acceptable! 
My Sonos syetm is dropping TuneIn signal very often for the last three days, I sumbmited Support Diagnostics Conf.# 4610193
I cannot play radio with tunein either !!

Had my system about 4 years, never had an issue, 65 meg fibre line

please fix BBC radio
Userlevel 7
Badge +26

please fix BBC radio

Hi User66150,

There's some extended maintenance BBC is doing right now on their streams which is causing some cutouts and trouble playing music. It's supposed to go until the 9th. If you're playing out of your Sonos Favorites, you can try searching for the station through the software and playing it, this way you connect to a different stream which might not be having trouble.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Same here. Our Sonos Play:5 has been completely unusable today on Radio 4 and 6 Music. Searching for a new stream and not using favorites hasn't provided any relief at all. As a comparison, our iPad at the office running the BBC Radio app has been rock solid for months.

In reality, our Sonos system it's been completely unreliable since the BBC cut to the new streaming servers. As unfair as Sonos may find this, this really has to be hurting their brand reputation in the UK. We're a hardcore Sonos household and we couldn't recommend them to a friend right now.

Sonos really do need to announce a firm schedule for supporting the HLS AAC streams or start working out how they're going to support AirPlay (so we can use the official BBC Radio app).

Preferably both, to be honest.
Userlevel 2
Badge

please fix BBC radio

Ryan - a colleague can the same answer to me on facebook - its not the issue. I did as instructed and it broke up again after an hour. This has been going on for weeks - Sonos needs to let us know their plans and timetable to resolve the underlying issues . This farce has been going on long enough.
The problem is still ongoing and we certainly won't be buying any more Sonos products until it is sorted out.  We love Sonos but a significant proportion of our listening is BBC radio and the current service is unacceptable.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I have been experiencing this for the past few days and this afternoon it is particularly bad.  The problkem I am having is with BBC Radio 4.  I have tried direct from TuneIn on my laptop and that was fine so I am pretty sure that it is something about the connection from Sonos to TuneIn.  In addition, Deezer is fine.
It's sparked up again with more frequency as BBC started doing maintenance on their streams yesterday (June 1st). They've notified us that it's going to continue until June 9th. During this time the MP3 streams may experience cutouts and playback trouble. If you use your Favorites, you can try searching for the station instead to get a different stream from the TuneIn servers which may work better for a time.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I have been struggling all day to listen to BBC Radio 4.  
We're seeing trouble on the MP3 BBC stations currently related to ongoing maintenance from June 1st and June 9th. There are some https://ask.sonos.com/sonos/topics/bbc-radio-maintenance-1-to-9-may-2015  
Badge
I have multiple Sonos units throughout my home that have worked without error until recently.  I am now having the same issues with BBC Radio 2, to the point it is almost unusable.  It has become so bad that I am considering re-installing my analogue radios throughout the house.  This is certainly not a good advert for Sonos.  I appreciate the problem may lie with the BBC but the solution must be in the hands of Sonos.  Please get it sorted before it tarnishes the name of, what I would consider to be, one of the best home audio systems available today.
Hey! 

I seem to have issues with a dropped stream (and insufficient buffer) in inclement weather.  I've checked with the ISP and it looks like the speeds are good from the router to the ISP.  I'm using a bridge to connect to a Cisco router (SOHO grade) and the SONOS's are all on the mesh network, one per floor in a 3 story town house.  The WIFI for the house is also plugged into the CISCO.  

Considering that the SONOS's are running a mesh network that is plugged directly into the router there is no chance of the router being overloaded or the SONOS mesh network.  I don't get what the issue is with the dropped streaming.  I seem to have the ideal setup to tolerate interference.
Userlevel 1
FYI

All worked well today (Reading UK) !  

Same with me , Radio 2 has played for several hours with no drop outs, let's hope whatever the BBC maintenance was/is., that It is doing the job
FYI

All worked well today (Reading UK) !  

Same here for two days no drop out!!! Yipeee
Userlevel 2
I've setup Minimstreamer to get around the issues of stuttering etc and it is brilliant.  Smooth, clear and reliable.  Not for everyone, but if you have the set-up, its great.
Userlevel 2
Badge
48 hours non stop of BBC Radio 1 ,2,3 and 4  via TuneIn  over 4 rooms without a hickup ....Happy the issue is resolved with the BBC's streaming make over. Sorted!
Ryan!  Are you still the contact here?  My problem is our favorite local station, 92.5 The River (Boston).  Continually cuts in and out.  Diagnostics #4659143.  Nothing electronic is within 10 feet of our Sonos.  We don't really play other radio stations, so this is the only instance of it happening to us.  Thank you for any guidance! - JGB