Tunein radio station stops playing infrequently

Userlevel 2
Badge +4
When listening to tunein radio stations (several, not limited to a specific one), sometimes and varying intervals, playback is stopped and does not resume unless I press the play button on either remote.

Media stored on our NAS plays fine and without hiccups.

Anything I can do to have Sonos resume once connection has been lost? Quite annoying...

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

135 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi Morphix, you can manually add radio stations via URL can be added using the steps here.

If a station cuts out on you, it could be for a number of reasons, stream quality, local network issues, standard stream timeouts, and other issues. You said it's irregular, so it could be a local issue or a stream problem at first guess.

If you don't have any trouble with other music sources, only one particular radio station, the steps above to find and add a new radio stream for that station could be good test to see if the one you get through TuneIn isn't good.
Digging up this old issue. Most of the links in the thread are not working any more. Is there a fix for this? It's happening all the time for me - the stream stops. I have to press play again. It's random, sometime it plays for hours, sometimes just minutes.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
I'm having the same issue the last few days. I have submitted diagnostic number 6084384 for this.
Connection seems to be lost for about 10 seconds and returns automatically.

It looks like the dropouts are happening when you're listening to NPO 3FM Serious Radio. I wasn't able to reproduce the drops on my end, so it may have been a temporary station issue. However, I was able to find a direct streaming URL for the station which you can add to your favorites: http://icecast.omroep.nl/3fm-bb-mp3.m3u. Try adding that to your list of radio stations manually by following the steps in this FAQ. Once added, test some playback with that station listing instead and see if the problem returns.

It looks as though I may have corrected my issue. I had to uninstall/delete the radio station from tune-in radio and then reinstall the station. This his corrected my issue thus far today.

Glad to hear it's working jaywilly. If the problem comes back, let us know what specific station you're listening to and we can try to find an alternate URL to try as well.
It looks as though I may have corrected my issue. I had to uninstall/delete the radio station from tune-in radio and then reinstall the station. This his corrected my issue thus far today.
I'm having the same issue the last few days. I have submitted diagnostic number 6084384 for this.
Connection seems to be lost for about 10 seconds and returns automatically.
I've been recently having the same issue with tune in radio. I listen to sports radio in the morning and for about 1 year everything worked as expected. About a month or two ago the radio stations began cutting out/stopping after several minutes. Therefore I had to switch to listening to pandora because the interruptions were just unbearable. I've submitted diagnostic #6084030. Any support would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi PC, looks like there's a problem with that stream. I tested it out here and had the same trouble. You can manually add a different stream for that station to your system using a computer controller by going to Manage > Add a Radio Station. Go ahead and input http://provisioning.streamtheworld.com/pls/WCBSFMDIALUP.pls to use and set the alarm to use that new station under My Radio.

Let us know if you have any trouble with that new stream.
Not sure if this thread is still alive, but I have recently (past couple of weeks) been having a bunch of issues with sonos and tunein. Basically I have an alarm that goes off every morning and plays a radio station. Recently either the sonos doesn't start playing the station or it plays for less than 10 minutes and then hangs. The player apps show the stop button, but nothing is actually playing. The only way to get it working again is to push the play/pause button on the sonos twice.

I have submitted diagnostic 6078259.

Thanks,

PC
Userlevel 2
Badge
Hello Helge,

Some radio stations have a stream limit for the amount of time they can maintain a connection. This can be a couple hours or no limit at all, but it's dependent on the station itself. If your players lose connection to a radio stream they'll retry it, but after a handful of failed attempts, they'll stop trying.

Can you please https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/142 from your system and reply back with your confirmation number after you'd have this happen? Which stations have you noticed this happen on?

Thanks.

We have been listening to 181.fm (through Tune-In) for the past few days. The connection dropped twice randomly today -- in the 1-2 hour range. We immediately opened up Sonos and manually hit PLAY and the stream restarted with no issue.

It would be helpful if there was an error message on the display, or a menu option to pull down a connection history....

If the connection dropped, something like "Connection dropped, 2 failed retries" or something

It could even be under the "i" information button in the Now Playing box if not right in that window itself.
Try the latest beta (6.0). https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3462
Hi, I have exacly the same problem -  LTE internet connection, 3x Sonos 1 in different rooms - and whatever I'm traing to do all stations stops after 5-10 minutes. It's really a pain becouse i bought that stuff for radio! At the some time my music from cloud  storage works fine. ????

Adam

No it's all the stations I use, but music on the server is fine. Sometimes the odd speaker will drop out then come back but mostly the whole lot go off then come back a second or two later sometimes it takes longer sometimes I have to press play on the app again.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi, I have exacly the same problem -  LTE internet connection, 3x Sonos 1 in different rooms - and whatever I'm traing to do all stations stops after 5-10 minutes. It's really a pain becouse i bought that stuff for radio! At the some time my music from cloud  storage works fine. ????

Adam

Hi Barry, do you have trouble with any other sources of music or multiple radio stations? There are some communication troubles on the network there, and I'd recommend making sure the BRIDGE is firmly connected to the network, but if only one station has trouble that's where we'll want to start looking.

Adam

I've been having the same issues. 4748908 diagnostic submitted.
Oh, dear, I'm sorry to hear that.  As I write - and since I turned the Sonos on when I got up this morning - my BBC stations have been playing perfectly.  This must surely be a clue for the engineers who understand networks and distribution systems.

Are some domestic routers more tolerant than others of  small changes in the streaming protocols?  Mine is a Billion BiPAC 7800N which I installed some time ago in place of a Belkin which constantly  dropped out.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Deleting the BBC station from my Sonos favourites and going to Tunein to select the channel again has made things worse for me.  I did that yesterday and this morning when the Sonos came on, Radio 2 played for about 30 seconds and then was stuttering like it's never done before.  I finally gave up this morning and have reset my alarm to play Heart Dorset instead of BBC Radio 2.

Poor show Sonos.  You may be downstream from BBC & TuneIn, but you are my supplier and I can only complain to you.  You in turn can either fix it or pass on customer complaints to whoever you think is responsible (presumably either BBC or TuneIn).
Try this.

Almost immediately after posting my long grouse two days ago about BBC stations constantly buffering and stopping, I saw Sonos' explanation about the BBC changing its streaming protocol without telling the general public, i.e. us,  so leaving us to rage in frustration.  The streaming companies - the 'Radio stations' along the line, like Sonos, are in a cleft stick as they have to upgrade their kit to to yet another variant alongside the existing streaming protocols.

Anyway, there was a Sonos suggestion which ought to get round the buffering/stopping problem. Delete the BBC station from your Sonos favourites, then go to Tunein, and select that BBC channel again.

Unlikely?  It worked for me!  Instantly the problems disappeared. A good continuous signal with no buffering - just like it should be. I delayed writing this until I was sure. I have now had two days of near perfect BBC reception via Sonos. For two days I deliberately left Radio 4 playing continuously for about  16 hours and it didn't stop once, although I have noticed four brief bufferings - of course, it may have buffered when I wasn't listening - I didn't have my ear to the speakers continuously!

Curiously, my Revo portable internet radio which I had pretty well junked due to its inability to play BBC stations (I thought it was a fault) is also now playing normally too. But that can't be anything to do with reselecting my Sonos favourites...
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Simon. They were maintaining them but never promised they would work any better. In afraid the BBC MP3 streams will never be reliable. Sonos switching to HLS is the only way to get hem reliable (and the HLS are higher nitrate better quality sound)
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Hello Helge,

Some radio stations have a stream limit for the amount of time they can maintain a connection. This can be a couple hours or no limit at all, but it's dependent on the station itself. If your players lose connection to a radio stream they'll retry it, but after a handful of failed attempts, they'll stop trying.

Can you please https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/142 from your system and reply back with your confirmation number after you'd have this happen? Which stations have you noticed this happen on?

Thanks.

Howard. It's not curious at all. Everyone who listens to BBC on Sonos (and a lot of other products have the same issue). The BBC changed their streaming to new feeds using method called HLS. Sonos can't currently play HLS. They have promised a fix though to be able to play the new steams. In the meantime he old MP3 streams have a lot of issues that the BBC isn't fixing. So until Sonos issues fix you will have problems. There are work around running server side software on a computer to transcode the new dreams. Here is a whole thread on the topic where yelling at Sonos for being slow on the fix is a popular pastime of some people. https://ask.sonos.com/sonos/topics/support-for-bbc-radio-hls-streams?utm_source=notification&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=new_comment&utm_content=topic_link
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
I get this too.  BBC Radio 2 in the mornings, always between 07.15 and 08:15 BST which is the 1 hour when I (try to) listen to Radio 2.  Frequent drop-outs, stopping of playback, stuttering, etc.  I've spent a lot of (wasted) time trying to fix this -- even bought a new router which was supposed to let me allocate dedicated bandwidth to Sonos.  Still have the same problems and I've just found this thread.  Very frustrated -- the maintenance was supposed to finish on 9th June, but a month on and no progress??
Hello Helge,

Thanks.

The curious thing is that my Sonos Tunein feed will play radio stations from all over the globe perfectly all day and with rarely any buffering except the BBC stations.  BBC R4 is the worst - at breakfast time it's almost invariably unusable, either cutting out completely or doing its 'machine gun' buffering. R4Extra is not quite as bad, and the World Service slightly better so it would appear to be traffic load related.  In consumer-speak, BBC Radio via Sonos-Tunein is 'unfit for purpose'.

Can I suggest all of you who have this problem try simultaneously listening to the same BBC station on your PC.  In my case, the PC feed plays perfectly and continuously while the Sonos feed is buffering and stopping - so it's not what's coming out of my router that's the problem - it's what's coming down the line.  Is that Sonos or Tunein?

Who do we shout at?
Userlevel 2
Badge
Spoke too soon in my last message 4 weeks ago !  Radio 4 now dropping in and out intermittently and it is the 29th June = the last day of the BBC planned stream overhaul. Lets hope its the last few tweaks that makes perfect! .....now where's that Cats Wiska I had the other year ? 
I am having exactly the same problem. #3590376  "unable to play KLCC connection to TuneIn was lost"  I have also had this with KBOO ... this is quite frustrating.  I've had my sonos players for 8 years and have never had this problem before.  for the last 4-6 weeks my radio drops out 50x times a day,  SONOS WHAT CAN YOU DO TO HELP ME?

Ayear later i still get the same problem playing tunein on pc, androids devies etc. So tune in seems to be the problem.
BBC does does not work now 😞 very sad,  also sad to see Sonos what to see a diag as it has nothing to do with it, my system has played BBC for 4 years and also plays any other station bar BBC ones.

the last 6 months BBC stations just fail

Ryan, the repeated suggestion of searching for a fresh stream is only a temporary solution that may work for only a few minutes.

Please can you give us all an indication of when SONOS will support HLS via TuneIn. Are we talking weeks, months or years?

You have a lot of frustrated customers who have invested heavily in SONOS only to find it unusable and without acceptable answers from yourselves.
Userlevel 2
Badge
BBC does does not work now 😞 very sad,  also sad to see Sonos what to see a diag as it has nothing to do with it, my system has played BBC for 4 years and also plays any other station bar BBC ones.

Ok - but you dont address my point - sonos is being useless in keeping people informed about why this has not been solved and what the prognosis is - terrible treatment of customers - we know best and well tell you when it suits us is not good enough? Reselecting channels only works for a short while - still hopeless - and workarounds require technical knowledge and servers permenantly running that should not be required. Pull your corporrate finger out - telll us why not yet solved, what the real issues are and how and when you propose to solve it, you've had 18 months notice and 4 months since the change happened.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26

@David, you're correct, the current state of the MP3 streams doesn't provide the quality or experience we want. That's why we're working to get those new HLS streams playing on Sonos. The MP3 streams are a way to get BBC playing in your home in the interim. There are some other workarounds or ways to get the HLS streams playing that have been brought up in the main BBC thread as well.

As you know, if you regularly have trouble with a stream from your Favorites, you can try removing it from there, and searching for a fresh stream through the Sonos software. It may get you one that's more reliable at the time. 

Let's try to keep the BBC discussion in the main thread on the topic so that anyone reading the discussion doesn't need to search across the board looking for it.