Tunein radio station stops playing infrequently

Userlevel 2
Badge +4
When listening to tunein radio stations (several, not limited to a specific one), sometimes and varying intervals, playback is stopped and does not resume unless I press the play button on either remote.

Media stored on our NAS plays fine and without hiccups.

Anything I can do to have Sonos resume once connection has been lost? Quite annoying...

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

135 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +6
Vote for a general solution:
https://ask.sonos.com/sonos/topics/auto-resume-radio-after-lost-of-connection
I have been experiencing this for the past few days and this afternoon it is particularly bad.  The problkem I am having is with BBC Radio 4.  I have tried direct from TuneIn on my laptop and that was fine so I am pretty sure that it is something about the connection from Sonos to TuneIn.  In addition, Deezer is fine.
Having same issue - tunein radio constantly dropping out - no issue with spotify.  I even bought a new Sonos Boost hoping it would resolve the issue.  I have disconnected all other equipment - phone etc - so only my Play 5, Boost and BT Homehub4 router.  I have even swapped back to my Homehub3 router but still having the issue and its driving me nuts!  Diag 4399060 submitted.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Having same issue - tunein radio constantly dropping out - no issue with spotify.  I even bought a new Sonos Boost hoping it would resolve the issue.  I have disconnected all other equipment - phone etc - so only my Play 5, Boost and BT Homehub4 router.  I have even swapped back to my Homehub3 router but still having the issue and its driving me nuts!  Diag 4399060 submitted.
Hi Stewart, that diagnostic showed that you were trying to play one of the BBC stations, have you only experienced trouble with those stations? BBC is currently changing out the streams they're using, and the MP3 ones available have had some growing pains, usually resulting in some stuttering audio from time to time. We're looking into it on our end to see if we can help.

Thanks
Hey Ryan,

Thanks very much for getting back to me.  Tried another station and it has been rock solid.  Removed BBC radio and added it back in and it has now been rock solid all day.  Looks like I was maybe just having some bad luck.  Good to know on the BBC stream change thats going on.

What would have been nice is the auto reconnect feature request that I've seen someone else asking for.  It would have still dropped out, but at least would have only been for 10 seconds or so - rather than having to fumble about for a controller and reconnect manually etc.

Cheers,

Stewart
I have a major cut out problem. Intermittent but regular on the full system of 1, 3 and 5. All related to BBC the most popular broadcaster in the uk Very frustrating and does make the system pointless. I have followed advice from the help desk by rebooting etc. To no avail It is obviously a common problem. What can be done?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi Kevin,

We'd be happy to help take a look, there are some things we can to work with on your system which might help improve the connection. As I said above, there've been some pretty big changes with BBC stations. I'd recommend giving us a call and having a technician take a close look at your system.
I have contacted Tune-In and got this response which you may find useful:

Hello,

Thanks for contacting us. Recently, the BBC has changed the streaming formats that they offer. Unfortunately, they have not released a stream for content that is only available in the UK that is compatible with your device. In the meantime, your device is playing the international BBC stream. We are in contact with the BBC and hope to be able to provide a UK only stream that's compatible with your device with fewer drop outs. Thank you for your patience.

Sincerely,

TuneIn
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
As Ryan said - call them to make sure no issues with your system.  However, as Ryan eluded to there are some BBC created issues with their current streams.  Sonos is working to be able to access new streams BBC is creating that should end up more reliable then the old ones.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
the info from Tune-In is correct
crazy that the bbc we pay a license fee for doesn't currently have a british stream!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Here is the master thread regarding Sonos working to implement the new streams.  BBC created a mess on this one and its taking some time for companies to adjust.  The dropouts are a result of the BBC feed.

There are some temporary solutions which involve running server software on your computer at home to transcode the new streams.

https://ask.sonos.com/sonos/topics/bbc-radio-no-longer-provides-this-service-in-the-windows-media-fo...
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
BBC messed up their conversion on the new streams and didn't publicize some of the things they were doing.  There are British Streams in the new format.  Sonos (as most streamers) can't play the new format yet.  Workarounds are feed from BBC iplayer into a Sonos input or run a transcoding program on home computer to pull in the new feeds.  Hopefully Sonos will have the software update soon enough to get back to normal.
Thanks to everyone for their advice, help, support etc. Still doesn't get rid of that frustration when things drop out and knowing I am not alone is at the same time reassuring but also worrying
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Yes of course - good to know when its not just you ...

The BBC supposedly was having a lot of problems maintaining their old streams and that is why they overly rushed to implement the new ones without preparing people for it.
I have the same issue. One station in particular drops out every couple of minutes with Sonos, however I can listen uninterrupted on the TuneIn app on my phone (which is not connected to Sonos). Would like to submit a diagnostic but am told not to do so until requested by Sonos customer support. Pls let me know when I can submit.
For me the station is Double Down Radio out of Las Vegas. Nothing to do with BBC. Fine on the TuneIn app, erratic on Sonos.
Hey,

I'm also having issues with tunein, My system is wired directly to a switch on my network so it's not wireless issues.  Spotify is also fine, I've submitted some diagnostics, confirmation number is: 4477165 

Thanks,

Will
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hey,

I'm also having issues with tunein, My system is wired directly to a switch on my network so it's not wireless issues.  Spotify is also fine, I've submitted some diagnostics, confirmation number is: 4477165 

Thanks,

Will

Thanks for that diagnostic. Are you only having trouble with one station from TuneIn or multiple ones? Which stations?

Radio stations are hosted by a number of services or the station itself and can go up or down irregularly. There might be issues with one of the streams but not others as well.

If Spotify is working fine, likely your network and Sonos system are fine as well, which means you're likely looking at a problem with the station or stream itself.

Let us know.
Hey,

Thanks,

Will

Thanks for the reply Ryan, It seems to only be certain stations at the moment, the one's i've had problems with are all of the Heart Stations and Capital London also seems to be playing up.  Was there anything untoward in the diagnostics at all?

It just seems to stop dead after about 5 minutes, until you restart it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hey,

Thanks,

Will

Aside from some DNS connection trouble with Spotify, the system looks good. Was the diagnostic sent within a short time of having a playback problem on the station? If not, try sending one within a few minutes.

Thanks
I have the same problem. The internet radio stops playing at random times.

Confirmation number: 4493848
Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Thanks for the diagnostic, Dennis. It only looks like one station from TuneIn that you've been having trouble with, is this correct?

As I posted above, radio stations are hosted by a number of services or the host station itself, so there may be trouble with one stream in particular due to a number of reasons.

The diagnostic looks great as far as your system is concerned, so I believe you're just looking at an issue with the particular radio stream. Just to confirm, have you tried other stations or a different music source?

Let us know.

I tired multiple stations with the same result.

When we use Spotify there is no problems. It is only from TuneIn
Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Just to be sure - you aren't checking all BBC stations