Tunein radio station stops playing infrequently

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

135 replies

FYI

All worked well today (Reading UK) !  

Same here for two days no drop out!!! Yipeee
Userlevel 2
I've setup Minimstreamer to get around the issues of stuttering etc and it is brilliant.  Smooth, clear and reliable.  Not for everyone, but if you have the set-up, its great.
Userlevel 2
Badge
48 hours non stop of BBC Radio 1 ,2,3 and 4  via TuneIn  over 4 rooms without a hickup ....Happy the issue is resolved with the BBC's streaming make over. Sorted!
Ryan!  Are you still the contact here?  My problem is our favorite local station, 92.5 The River (Boston).  Continually cuts in and out.  Diagnostics #4659143.  Nothing electronic is within 10 feet of our Sonos.  We don't really play other radio stations, so this is the only instance of it happening to us.  Thank you for any guidance! - JGB
Badge
I have the same problem I am so fed up with Sonos the radio stations especially BBC Radio 2 through Tunein is intermittent and rubbish 
BBC does does not work now 😞 very sad,  also sad to see Sonos what to see a diag as it has nothing to do with it, my system has played BBC for 4 years and also plays any other station bar BBC ones.

the last 6 months BBC stations just fail
I too am having problems with radio cutting out its very annoying and we will not be buying any more units until the problem is resolved, I too have submitted diagnostics 4590741
I have the same problem with Radio 1 and Klara (Flemish Radio). I grow suspicious of the network as the connection breaks every 30 minutes. My sonos 1, 3, playbar, are wireless connected and a sonos bridge is connected to my dLink router. That router is connected to the Telenet cable modem/router. On the log of my dLink router i can see that the moments the radio stops coincides with the moments that the lease from the cable modem to my router is renewed. The lease time seems to be 30 minutes, I have no way to change it. Why the radio stops remains a question. On the controller I got messages "can not connect to radio station" or "cannot find mp3.streampower.be ". To eliminate a DNS problem I hardcoded the IP adresses for the radio stations, but that does not stop the interruptions. 99% of the time I have to restart manually.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Ryan!  Are you still the contact here?  My problem is our favorite local station, 92.5 The River (Boston).  Continually cuts in and out.  Diagnostics #4659143.  Nothing electronic is within 10 feet of our Sonos.  We don't really play other radio stations, so this is the only instance of it happening to us.  Thank you for any guidance! - JGB
Hi Bubba,

Happy to be the contact here for you. That diagnostic shows your players are running an older version of the software, so I'd recommend starting with checking for updates and running those. It'll include rebooting your players which will help out too. I've tested that radio station a bit here and it seems to be fine so far. 

Let us know how it goes after you've done the updates.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
BBC does does not work now 😞 very sad,  also sad to see Sonos what to see a diag as it has nothing to do with it, my system has played BBC for 4 years and also plays any other station bar BBC ones.

Unfortunately with the latest BBC changes the MP3 streams for some of their stations have had some trouble intermittently. They recently went through some maintenance which helped a lot, but from time to time there's still some playback trouble with some of the streams. It helps to search for the BBC radio you're listening to fresh in your Sonos software and playing it out of there instead of using one of your Favorites. This isn't always a solution, but the players might find a new stream when you search this way, and not connect to one having trouble. 

We are working to get the new BBC stations (in the HLS format) working on Sonos, but we don't have an update on that development to share right now.

A diagnostic is helpful to check if it's just the stream you're connected to, or something local to your environment. They also include other information which can help.
Userlevel 2
Badge

Ryan - this is NOT good enough. Recently things got worse - BBC stations are unlistenable - indeed woke today to alarm bongs as no contact could be made at 6.30am. For MONTHs we had this bland "we'll tell you something when we feel like it" message. This is appalling customer care. Be honest with us. Why is this taking so long, what are the potential solutions and when, realistically, can we expect to get a proper solution. I release that you can't commit to a date but you must stop treating customers with contempt.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26

@David, you're correct, the current state of the MP3 streams doesn't provide the quality or experience we want. That's why we're working to get those new HLS streams playing on Sonos. The MP3 streams are a way to get BBC playing in your home in the interim. There are some other workarounds or ways to get the HLS streams playing that have been brought up in the main BBC thread as well.

As you know, if you regularly have trouble with a stream from your Favorites, you can try removing it from there, and searching for a fresh stream through the Sonos software. It may get you one that's more reliable at the time. 

Let's try to keep the BBC discussion in the main thread on the topic so that anyone reading the discussion doesn't need to search across the board looking for it.
Userlevel 2
Badge

Ok - but you dont address my point - sonos is being useless in keeping people informed about why this has not been solved and what the prognosis is - terrible treatment of customers - we know best and well tell you when it suits us is not good enough? Reselecting channels only works for a short while - still hopeless - and workarounds require technical knowledge and servers permenantly running that should not be required. Pull your corporrate finger out - telll us why not yet solved, what the real issues are and how and when you propose to solve it, you've had 18 months notice and 4 months since the change happened.

Ryan, the repeated suggestion of searching for a fresh stream is only a temporary solution that may work for only a few minutes.

Please can you give us all an indication of when SONOS will support HLS via TuneIn. Are we talking weeks, months or years?

You have a lot of frustrated customers who have invested heavily in SONOS only to find it unusable and without acceptable answers from yourselves.
I am having exactly the same problem. #3590376  "unable to play KLCC connection to TuneIn was lost"  I have also had this with KBOO ... this is quite frustrating.  I've had my sonos players for 8 years and have never had this problem before.  for the last 4-6 weeks my radio drops out 50x times a day,  SONOS WHAT CAN YOU DO TO HELP ME?

Ayear later i still get the same problem playing tunein on pc, androids devies etc. So tune in seems to be the problem.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Spoke too soon in my last message 4 weeks ago !  Radio 4 now dropping in and out intermittently and it is the 29th June = the last day of the BBC planned stream overhaul. Lets hope its the last few tweaks that makes perfect! .....now where's that Cats Wiska I had the other year ? 
Hello Helge,

Some radio stations have a stream limit for the amount of time they can maintain a connection. This can be a couple hours or no limit at all, but it's dependent on the station itself. If your players lose connection to a radio stream they'll retry it, but after a handful of failed attempts, they'll stop trying.

Can you please https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/142 from your system and reply back with your confirmation number after you'd have this happen? Which stations have you noticed this happen on?

Thanks.

The curious thing is that my Sonos Tunein feed will play radio stations from all over the globe perfectly all day and with rarely any buffering except the BBC stations.  BBC R4 is the worst - at breakfast time it's almost invariably unusable, either cutting out completely or doing its 'machine gun' buffering. R4Extra is not quite as bad, and the World Service slightly better so it would appear to be traffic load related.  In consumer-speak, BBC Radio via Sonos-Tunein is 'unfit for purpose'.

Can I suggest all of you who have this problem try simultaneously listening to the same BBC station on your PC.  In my case, the PC feed plays perfectly and continuously while the Sonos feed is buffering and stopping - so it's not what's coming out of my router that's the problem - it's what's coming down the line.  Is that Sonos or Tunein?

Who do we shout at?
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
I get this too.  BBC Radio 2 in the mornings, always between 07.15 and 08:15 BST which is the 1 hour when I (try to) listen to Radio 2.  Frequent drop-outs, stopping of playback, stuttering, etc.  I've spent a lot of (wasted) time trying to fix this -- even bought a new router which was supposed to let me allocate dedicated bandwidth to Sonos.  Still have the same problems and I've just found this thread.  Very frustrated -- the maintenance was supposed to finish on 9th June, but a month on and no progress??
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Hello Helge,

Some radio stations have a stream limit for the amount of time they can maintain a connection. This can be a couple hours or no limit at all, but it's dependent on the station itself. If your players lose connection to a radio stream they'll retry it, but after a handful of failed attempts, they'll stop trying.

Can you please https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/142 from your system and reply back with your confirmation number after you'd have this happen? Which stations have you noticed this happen on?

Thanks.

Howard. It's not curious at all. Everyone who listens to BBC on Sonos (and a lot of other products have the same issue). The BBC changed their streaming to new feeds using method called HLS. Sonos can't currently play HLS. They have promised a fix though to be able to play the new steams. In the meantime he old MP3 streams have a lot of issues that the BBC isn't fixing. So until Sonos issues fix you will have problems. There are work around running server side software on a computer to transcode the new dreams. Here is a whole thread on the topic where yelling at Sonos for being slow on the fix is a popular pastime of some people. https://ask.sonos.com/sonos/topics/support-for-bbc-radio-hls-streams?utm_source=notification&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=new_comment&utm_content=topic_link
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Simon. They were maintaining them but never promised they would work any better. In afraid the BBC MP3 streams will never be reliable. Sonos switching to HLS is the only way to get hem reliable (and the HLS are higher nitrate better quality sound)
Try this.

Almost immediately after posting my long grouse two days ago about BBC stations constantly buffering and stopping, I saw Sonos' explanation about the BBC changing its streaming protocol without telling the general public, i.e. us,  so leaving us to rage in frustration.  The streaming companies - the 'Radio stations' along the line, like Sonos, are in a cleft stick as they have to upgrade their kit to to yet another variant alongside the existing streaming protocols.

Anyway, there was a Sonos suggestion which ought to get round the buffering/stopping problem. Delete the BBC station from your Sonos favourites, then go to Tunein, and select that BBC channel again.

Unlikely?  It worked for me!  Instantly the problems disappeared. A good continuous signal with no buffering - just like it should be. I delayed writing this until I was sure. I have now had two days of near perfect BBC reception via Sonos. For two days I deliberately left Radio 4 playing continuously for about  16 hours and it didn't stop once, although I have noticed four brief bufferings - of course, it may have buffered when I wasn't listening - I didn't have my ear to the speakers continuously!

Curiously, my Revo portable internet radio which I had pretty well junked due to its inability to play BBC stations (I thought it was a fault) is also now playing normally too. But that can't be anything to do with reselecting my Sonos favourites...
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Deleting the BBC station from my Sonos favourites and going to Tunein to select the channel again has made things worse for me.  I did that yesterday and this morning when the Sonos came on, Radio 2 played for about 30 seconds and then was stuttering like it's never done before.  I finally gave up this morning and have reset my alarm to play Heart Dorset instead of BBC Radio 2.

Poor show Sonos.  You may be downstream from BBC & TuneIn, but you are my supplier and I can only complain to you.  You in turn can either fix it or pass on customer complaints to whoever you think is responsible (presumably either BBC or TuneIn).
Oh, dear, I'm sorry to hear that.  As I write - and since I turned the Sonos on when I got up this morning - my BBC stations have been playing perfectly.  This must surely be a clue for the engineers who understand networks and distribution systems.

Are some domestic routers more tolerant than others of  small changes in the streaming protocols?  Mine is a Billion BiPAC 7800N which I installed some time ago in place of a Belkin which constantly  dropped out.
Hi, I have exacly the same problem -  LTE internet connection, 3x Sonos 1 in different rooms - and whatever I'm traing to do all stations stops after 5-10 minutes. It's really a pain becouse i bought that stuff for radio! At the some time my music from cloud  storage works fine. ????

Adam

I've been having the same issues. 4748908 diagnostic submitted.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi, I have exacly the same problem -  LTE internet connection, 3x Sonos 1 in different rooms - and whatever I'm traing to do all stations stops after 5-10 minutes. It's really a pain becouse i bought that stuff for radio! At the some time my music from cloud  storage works fine. ????

Adam

Hi Barry, do you have trouble with any other sources of music or multiple radio stations? There are some communication troubles on the network there, and I'd recommend making sure the BRIDGE is firmly connected to the network, but if only one station has trouble that's where we'll want to start looking.

Adam

No it's all the stations I use, but music on the server is fine. Sometimes the odd speaker will drop out then come back but mostly the whole lot go off then come back a second or two later sometimes it takes longer sometimes I have to press play on the app again.