Tunein radio station stops playing infrequently

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

135 replies

I have not been able to keep any channel for meeting than a couple of minutes for almost a week now. There have been no physical changed to my equipment for 3 years. Diagnostic number is 4504265. Please help
Hi Dominique,

In response to "testing the service" I still find the TuneIn service really poor at the moment on Radio 2, 6 and Heart. Just upgraded to Infinity as thought the problem was download speed....but at 76Meg I don't think that's a problem. Spotify, Library all work fine, TuneIn just stutters after about 20 mins.
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
I have not been able to keep any channel for meeting than a couple of minutes for almost a week now. There have been no physical changed to my equipment for 3 years. Diagnostic number is 4504265. Please help
Hi Sean,

We saw a few clients experiencing playback errors earlier with Tune-In and Sonos, which should now be resolved. Test the service again and let us know if you run into further issue. If you do, please grab another diagnostic and send it our way. We'll be happy to investigate with you. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I have the same problem. The internet radio stops playing at random times.

Confirmation number: 4493848

Ok. I was just checking because we will get a lot of people coming in thinking they have a problem with their system because of the BBC dropouts.

Ahh.. No. I am only using Danish stations. DR P3, NOVA FM.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22

All BBC stations are experiencing issues

What to you mean by BBC stations?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I often get a stream to stutter, like a bad phone call.  Stopping and restarting the stream always clears things up, but it is quite annoying to do that, probably more annoying than a complete stop.
Hi Brad,

Stuttering is very likely to be a problem with the stream you're getting. If you can look up that same station to find a streaming URL, you can add it to your Sonos system manually to see if a different version of that stream would perform better. This page has directions for adding a station to your system manually. 

What station(s) do you have this trouble with?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Mind listing a few stations you've had trouble with? We'll check them out for you.

Also, can you send another diagnostic within a few minutes of having trouble with a station?

Thanks
Userlevel 1
Badge
I often get a stream to stutter, like a bad phone call.  Stopping and restarting the stream always clears things up, but it is quite annoying to do that, probably more annoying than a complete stop.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Just to be sure - you aren't checking all BBC stations

I tired multiple stations with the same result.

When we use Spotify there is no problems. It is only from TuneIn
Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Thanks for the diagnostic, Dennis. It only looks like one station from TuneIn that you've been having trouble with, is this correct?

As I posted above, radio stations are hosted by a number of services or the host station itself, so there may be trouble with one stream in particular due to a number of reasons.

The diagnostic looks great as far as your system is concerned, so I believe you're just looking at an issue with the particular radio stream. Just to confirm, have you tried other stations or a different music source?

Let us know.

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hey,

I'm also having issues with tunein, My system is wired directly to a switch on my network so it's not wireless issues.  Spotify is also fine, I've submitted some diagnostics, confirmation number is: 4477165 

Thanks,

Will

Aside from some DNS connection trouble with Spotify, the system looks good. Was the diagnostic sent within a short time of having a playback problem on the station? If not, try sending one within a few minutes.

Thanks
Hey,

I'm also having issues with tunein, My system is wired directly to a switch on my network so it's not wireless issues.  Spotify is also fine, I've submitted some diagnostics, confirmation number is: 4477165 

Thanks,

Will

Thanks for the reply Ryan, It seems to only be certain stations at the moment, the one's i've had problems with are all of the Heart Stations and Capital London also seems to be playing up.  Was there anything untoward in the diagnostics at all?

It just seems to stop dead after about 5 minutes, until you restart it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hey,

Thanks,

Will

Thanks for that diagnostic. Are you only having trouble with one station from TuneIn or multiple ones? Which stations?

Radio stations are hosted by a number of services or the station itself and can go up or down irregularly. There might be issues with one of the streams but not others as well.

If Spotify is working fine, likely your network and Sonos system are fine as well, which means you're likely looking at a problem with the station or stream itself.

Let us know.
Hey,

Thanks,

Will
For me the station is Double Down Radio out of Las Vegas. Nothing to do with BBC. Fine on the TuneIn app, erratic on Sonos.
I have the same issue. One station in particular drops out every couple of minutes with Sonos, however I can listen uninterrupted on the TuneIn app on my phone (which is not connected to Sonos). Would like to submit a diagnostic but am told not to do so until requested by Sonos customer support. Pls let me know when I can submit.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Yes of course - good to know when its not just you ...

The BBC supposedly was having a lot of problems maintaining their old streams and that is why they overly rushed to implement the new ones without preparing people for it.
Thanks to everyone for their advice, help, support etc. Still doesn't get rid of that frustration when things drop out and knowing I am not alone is at the same time reassuring but also worrying
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
BBC messed up their conversion on the new streams and didn't publicize some of the things they were doing.  There are British Streams in the new format.  Sonos (as most streamers) can't play the new format yet.  Workarounds are feed from BBC iplayer into a Sonos input or run a transcoding program on home computer to pull in the new feeds.  Hopefully Sonos will have the software update soon enough to get back to normal.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Having same issue - tunein radio constantly dropping out - no issue with spotify.  I even bought a new Sonos Boost hoping it would resolve the issue.  I have disconnected all other equipment - phone etc - so only my Play 5, Boost and BT Homehub4 router.  I have even swapped back to my Homehub3 router but still having the issue and its driving me nuts!  Diag 4399060 submitted.
Here is the master thread regarding Sonos working to implement the new streams.  BBC created a mess on this one and its taking some time for companies to adjust.  The dropouts are a result of the BBC feed.

There are some temporary solutions which involve running server software on your computer at home to transcode the new streams.

https://ask.sonos.com/sonos/topics/bbc-radio-no-longer-provides-this-service-in-the-windows-media-fo...
crazy that the bbc we pay a license fee for doesn't currently have a british stream!