Tunein radio station stops playing infrequently

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

135 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge
I too am having problems with radio cutting out its very annoying and we will not be buying any more units until the problem is resolved, I too have submitted diagnostics 4590741
This issue needs to be sorted. Our system became very unstable a couple of weeks back - i thought a general issue but seems to relate to bbc radio4 - what most of our units are tuned to most of the time. A complete pain - needs to be sussed out and fixed. Also would be good to have access to bbc's radio iplayer.
I am having the same problem with capital radio it will play for two minutes and then cut out. I also get it with napstee where connection to napster drops out
There seems to be a specific problem with streams from the BBC that is detracting from the main issue of general problems of streaming any radio stations. I still hold that connecting to a wired network if possible and disabling the wireless as per the below link resolves this. 
https://bsteiner.info/articles/disabling-sonos-wifi
It has made a massive difference for me - I may get 2-3 disconnections a day (mine is on from 6am until 9pm everyday) as opposed the every 2 minutes!!!
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Thanks, how often do you have trouble with that station? Do any others have trouble?

Just so you know, though the station might be local from an analog perspective, all stations through TuneIn are online and therefore all of them, or none of them are 'local'. Most all online stations get hosted by a streaming service and could originate from all sorts of locales.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I too am having problems with radio cutting out its very annoying and we will not be buying any more units until the problem is resolved, I too have submitted diagnostics 4590741
Thanks for including that diagnostic, it helps a lot when troubleshooting an issue. Your PLAY:1 looks really good, the only errors I see related to radio are some troubles accessing BBC Radio 2. Do you have trouble with any other stations, non-BBC?

The reason I ask is that there are some issues with the available MP3 streams from BBC on Sonos. They dropped all but one stream for each station and moved to a format that we don't yet support in the way they developed it. We're currently working to get that added to Sonos but don't have an available timeline for when it'll be finalized.

If you're having trouble with any other stations please let us know and submit a diagnostic if it comes up, we're happy to take a look with you.
Userlevel 1
Badge
KDKR is a local one, via the TuneIn service.
I've vden having the same problem with Tunein radio, it's only started happening this week but after about 30s - 2 minutes it will always stop playing. I've had no issues playing music from other sources. I've uploaded my diagnostics too: 4579667
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
@User988946 I'm going to start a new chain of comments here for you to keep things clean. From your diagnostic, 4533976, I see that there is a lot of trouble communicating between the BRIDGE and your PLAY:3. Do you have trouble with other music playback too, such as Google Play Music or other services?

If you do, this communication issue is likely your trouble, and it could be related to something sitting around or new your players. It might also be an issue with what material they're sitting on. If there are thick walls with chicken wire or other metal wiring in them it can cause communication issues. I'd recommend taking a look at the steps on this thread to start with
Not sure how relevant but I continue to have a stuttering issue with BBC (primarily) despite a high speed internet connection and a gigabyte wired LAN. Stuttering occurs on both wired and wireless SONOS products. I have since started transcoding the new BBC stream on my QNAP server using minimstreamer.com which produces a very clear almost dropout free service on all the BBC channels through SONOS. If I run both my transcoded stream on different parts of my system from TunIn Radio the TuneIn service stops all the time whereas the stream I transcode keeps going. To me, this still points to an issue with the way TuneIn is delivering the BBC service. Any thoughts?
Very useful Ryan. Thank you. Of perhaps broader interest for others is the minimstreamer I refer to which is a software programme that transcodes the new BBC streams and then retransmits them in a format compatible with SONOS Trouble for most users is that you need to be a bit savvy with setting up the software (although the guides are excellent) and you need somewhere to host the programme such as a computer you are prepared to leave turned on or a domestic server such as a QNAP (which is what I use). The upside is that you get a bright high quality stream which is not subject to some of the legacy issues of bandwidth and too many users. In the longer term it will be interesting to see how SONOS get round the "BBC" issue but I am presuming it will be a software patch similar to minimstreamer or a new hardware box that will effectively undertake the transcoding function within th system. Until the solution is presented though I guess we are all doomed to occasional bouts of flakiness!! (Credit to the authors of minimstreamer - good stuff!)
Not sure how relevant but I continue to have a stuttering issue with BBC (primarily) despite a high speed internet connection and a gigabyte wired LAN. Stuttering occurs on both wired and wireless SONOS products. I have since started transcoding the new BBC stream on my QNAP server using minimstreamer.com which produces a very clear almost dropout free service on all the BBC channels through SONOS. If I run both my transcoded stream on different parts of my system from TunIn Radio the TuneIn service stops all the time whereas the stream I transcode keeps going. To me, this still points to an issue with the way TuneIn is delivering the BBC service. Any thoughts?
Keeps happening with most stations. Only lasts 1min with absolute classic rock. Diagnostic 4533976
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
The trick with BBC stations on Sonos versus many other radio stations is that there is a lot less redudency since they're pulling away from the MP3 streams. So if the stream you're connected to has trouble, there might not be a fallback or alternate stream for Sonos. Those MP3 streams should be playing at 128kbps for most BBC stations.
Hi Ryan. Very interested to hear what you had to say about the way Tunein searches for a decent stream. I am guessing this could vary from region to region. Am I right?The BBC experience was pretty poor again this morning on TuneIn and we gave up after 20 mins or so and streamed BBC Radio 2 through minimstreamer on the QNAP and then onto SONOS for the rest of the day. No problems at all with that. And to answer your question on quality, I am using the following url for BBC Radio2: http://a.files.bbci.co.uk/media/live/manifesto/audio/simulcast/hls/uk/sbr_high/ak/bbc_radio_two.m3u8 Which I believe is the full 320kb/s BBC brand new HLS service. The sound quality is crystal clear and very bright. Arguably better than the TuneIn derived product when it is working at its best (which I am guessing rarely exceeds 96kb/s). I am sure we are getting closer to the nub of the problem, though! I have never been convinced by arguments concerning local interference or necessarily BBC Mp3 reliability. It has all mostly worked well in the past!!!
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Not sure if this is relevant as with varying location ISP handoffs and routing may impact the experience, but i started listening to BBC2 and BB6 via TuneIn a few days ago, and don't not discover any dropouts, latency or quality issues.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
You're so very close to the right track here, from what we've seen it's more closely related to the different streams themselves. The older MP3 streams are the ones that play through Sonos, while the QNAP is using a different stream entirely, as you know. One of the streams might be having trouble with the number of people trying to play, or any number of other issues which might cause trouble with playback.

The way TuneIn provides the streams is pretty straightforward. In essence, they're loading a list of URLs for each station which the players all download. When you go to play a station, the Sonos player will find the first URL and try to stream it, if that fails to play, it'll load an alternative stream, if there's one available. Naturally, if the stream we're trying to play isn't working for some reason, or is having bandwidth issues, you might have audio cutting out or other issues.

We got a few reports yesterday about playback trouble with the BBC streams, but it was pretty intermittent. How are they playing now?

Other things could cause this sort of interruption such as if the BBC stream your players are connecting to is a higher quality than the one the QNAP is getting, the increased bandwidth might be having trouble on your network due to a number of things. This may or may not be an issue as it depends on several factors lining up.

Let us know if you need help.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
That's strange to see the wireless traffic taking any sort of priority over the wired, unless the wired isn't a direct route, or it's suffering somewhere. This could happen if you were using an ethernet over power connection, or even a long cable that has some damage to it.

There is some direct routing which will take place when you're grouping multiple components together which may switch to the wireless, but music source shouldn't change the network path a player is using. Do you know what the quality of the tracks from your NAS is versus the radio station you're using? I'm more curious than anything on if the NAS is playing low quality (128 kbps or so) versus the radio playing a high quality station at 320 kbps, or something similar.

We'd be happy to take a closer look with you should you decide you'd like a hand. You can always give us a call on our support line to work with a technician live. 
I agree to some extend that the wireless becomes redundant if you hardwire the speaker and this was confirmed by examining the tx & rx packet count for the ethernet port which had incrimented whilst the wireless stats were still at zero.
Enabling QOS would seem to be the logical thing to do but I've found that my Play5 which is still using the Sonos wireless mesh located upstairs is dropping out every 2 minutes still, just like the one downstairs was until I disabled the wireless on it.
I use the iPhone app to control my Sono when I'm not at a PC and there has been no problem using this for me.
I have to add that I never had this problem when playing music from my NAS - its only ever been when streaming from Internet radio.
I'm wondering if there is any form of throttling occuring on the wireless port when internet radio is being used - I believe that there seems to be an issue with how streaming radio traffic is handled at a network level that doesn't happen when streaming music within the same network.
I will be turning my QOS off later and see how this affects the Play5
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Disabling the wireless on Sonos speakers isn't likely to help this sort of issue at all. The wireless will automatically not be used as the main source of  data so long as the player is wired into the network. If you're wired in, all data transfer for radio stations will take place over the wired connect. The LAN QOS is more likely to help as it'll make sure that the data passing to your players takes priority over other traffic, faster transfer means less likely to skip.

If you have the PLAY:5 wired to the network, and that's your only player than you can unplug the BRIDGE as you won't need it on the network. Any player, when wired into the network, will skip the BRIDGE's wireless network.

Keep in mind, turning off the wireless on Sonos players can cause a lot of other trouble, or simply limit features. The Sonos dedicated wireless mesh has less coverage, making it harder to use Android controllers on SonosNet and also harder to use the Sonos hardware controllers (CONTROL or CR100).

If you were streaming your phone's music or local tracks off of a wireless device, disabling the WiFi might help clean up the wireless network. However, changing your wireless channels on Sonos and your local network will generally do the same thing.

We strongly discourage disabling the wireless but if it seems to be helping your system, by all means you're welcome to try it out. We're here to help if you have further trouble, but one of the first things a technician will do is have you re-enable the wireless and help get your system running in a more recommended setup. 
Right - after having similar problems for at least 2 years about 6 months ago I connected my Play 5 to a home plug and disabled the wireless on it, instructions here
Be aware that the first setting is not persistant and will revert after a power cycle - the second one is.
It did initially make a a difference but then it started dropping out again, in fact it couldn't maintain a stream for more than 5 minutes.
So I then turned on QOS on my router yesterday and set it to a 5Mb uplink limit and that seems to have sorted it for at least my Play 5 that is wired - I haven't tested the one upstairs which is still on wireless but to be honest I'm not too bothered about that one as 
its the one in the kitchen that I have on during the day as I work from home

Just to add that I'm not 100 % sure that adding QOS (I added it to the LAN port on the Router that my Zone Bridge is plugged into) was part of the solution but looking at peoples comments on the above link if you can use a wired solution disabling the wf-fi makes a considerable difference
Right - after having similar problems for at least 2 years about 6 months ago I connected my Play 5 to a home plug and disabled the wireless on it, instructions here
Be aware that the first setting is not persistant and will revert after a power cycle - the second one is.
It did initially make a a difference but then it started dropping out again, in fact it couldn't maintain a stream for more than 5 minutes.
So I then turned on QOS on my router yesterday and set it to a 5Mb uplink limit and that seems to have sorted it for at least my Play 5 that is wired - I haven't tested the one upstairs which is still on wireless but to be honest I'm not too bothered about that one as 
its the one in the kitchen that I have on during the day as I work from home
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I have not been able to keep any channel for meeting than a couple of minutes for almost a week now. There have been no physical changed to my equipment for 3 years. Diagnostic number is 4504265. Please help
Evoke and iMac were streaming the new HLS streams from BBC. They are more reliable but some have reported some issues recently. Sonos/tunein is linked to bbc MP3 streams which are very unreliable. It is not a tunein issue it is issue with bbc mp3 streams. Sonos is working to add support for new HLS streams so the links can be directed to them.
I have not been able to keep any channel for meeting than a couple of minutes for almost a week now. There have been no physical changed to my equipment for 3 years. Diagnostic number is 4504265. Please help
Thanks for your comment Chris and really pleased Sean is sorted but I am aware of the points you raise. Today ran a trial with 4 different radio stations playing on Sonos. I also streamed BBC Radio 2 through my "Pure Evoke" and my iMac. the 4 Sonos channels were Classic FM, Jazz FM, BBC Radio 2 and Heart Bath. Lo and behold on Sonos Radio 2 and Heart Bath spluttered to a halt after 20mins or so. Radio 2 continued to stream perfectly to my Evoke and iMac as did the other 2 stations on Sonos. This would suggest the problem is Sonos/TuneIn related with BBC derived streams. I have been trying to find a BBC URL that could be saved to SONOS which is different from that provided by TuneIn but no luck so far. Any ideas?
Not  sure what magic you did, but stations are now playing.

thank you
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
User992888

Do you realize TuneIn really isn't a service it is just a catalog of radio streams.  TuneIn links you to the direct stream from the station.  If you are getting stuttering that to me would mean the station itself is stuttering (not TuneIn).

As 2 of the stations you mentioned 2&6 I'm assuming BBC 2 and 6 ... it is well known that their streams are having issues (the Sonos old MP3 streams as well as new HLS streams).  Supporting new HLS streams is being worked on but I'm hearing BBC is having issues with those as well.  Overall, BBC streaming is a mess all around right now.