Tunein radio station stops playing infrequently

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

135 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge
BBC does does not work now 😞 very sad,  also sad to see Sonos what to see a diag as it has nothing to do with it, my system has played BBC for 4 years and also plays any other station bar BBC ones.

the last 6 months BBC stations just fail

Ryan - this is NOT good enough. Recently things got worse - BBC stations are unlistenable - indeed woke today to alarm bongs as no contact could be made at 6.30am. For MONTHs we had this bland "we'll tell you something when we feel like it" message. This is appalling customer care. Be honest with us. Why is this taking so long, what are the potential solutions and when, realistically, can we expect to get a proper solution. I release that you can't commit to a date but you must stop treating customers with contempt.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
BBC does does not work now 😞 very sad,  also sad to see Sonos what to see a diag as it has nothing to do with it, my system has played BBC for 4 years and also plays any other station bar BBC ones.

Unfortunately with the latest BBC changes the MP3 streams for some of their stations have had some trouble intermittently. They recently went through some maintenance which helped a lot, but from time to time there's still some playback trouble with some of the streams. It helps to search for the BBC radio you're listening to fresh in your Sonos software and playing it out of there instead of using one of your Favorites. This isn't always a solution, but the players might find a new stream when you search this way, and not connect to one having trouble. 

We are working to get the new BBC stations (in the HLS format) working on Sonos, but we don't have an update on that development to share right now.

A diagnostic is helpful to check if it's just the stream you're connected to, or something local to your environment. They also include other information which can help.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Ryan!  Are you still the contact here?  My problem is our favorite local station, 92.5 The River (Boston).  Continually cuts in and out.  Diagnostics #4659143.  Nothing electronic is within 10 feet of our Sonos.  We don't really play other radio stations, so this is the only instance of it happening to us.  Thank you for any guidance! - JGB
Hi Bubba,

Happy to be the contact here for you. That diagnostic shows your players are running an older version of the software, so I'd recommend starting with checking for updates and running those. It'll include rebooting your players which will help out too. I've tested that radio station a bit here and it seems to be fine so far. 

Let us know how it goes after you've done the updates.
I too am having problems with radio cutting out its very annoying and we will not be buying any more units until the problem is resolved, I too have submitted diagnostics 4590741
I have the same problem with Radio 1 and Klara (Flemish Radio). I grow suspicious of the network as the connection breaks every 30 minutes. My sonos 1, 3, playbar, are wireless connected and a sonos bridge is connected to my dLink router. That router is connected to the Telenet cable modem/router. On the log of my dLink router i can see that the moments the radio stops coincides with the moments that the lease from the cable modem to my router is renewed. The lease time seems to be 30 minutes, I have no way to change it. Why the radio stops remains a question. On the controller I got messages "can not connect to radio station" or "cannot find mp3.streampower.be ". To eliminate a DNS problem I hardcoded the IP adresses for the radio stations, but that does not stop the interruptions. 99% of the time I have to restart manually.

Badge
I have the same problem I am so fed up with Sonos the radio stations especially BBC Radio 2 through Tunein is intermittent and rubbish 
Ryan!  Are you still the contact here?  My problem is our favorite local station, 92.5 The River (Boston).  Continually cuts in and out.  Diagnostics #4659143.  Nothing electronic is within 10 feet of our Sonos.  We don't really play other radio stations, so this is the only instance of it happening to us.  Thank you for any guidance! - JGB
Userlevel 2
Badge
48 hours non stop of BBC Radio 1 ,2,3 and 4  via TuneIn  over 4 rooms without a hickup ....Happy the issue is resolved with the BBC's streaming make over. Sorted!
Userlevel 2
I've setup Minimstreamer to get around the issues of stuttering etc and it is brilliant.  Smooth, clear and reliable.  Not for everyone, but if you have the set-up, its great.
FYI

All worked well today (Reading UK) !  

Same here for two days no drop out!!! Yipeee
Userlevel 1
FYI

All worked well today (Reading UK) !  

Same with me , Radio 2 has played for several hours with no drop outs, let's hope whatever the BBC maintenance was/is., that It is doing the job
Hey! 

I seem to have issues with a dropped stream (and insufficient buffer) in inclement weather.  I've checked with the ISP and it looks like the speeds are good from the router to the ISP.  I'm using a bridge to connect to a Cisco router (SOHO grade) and the SONOS's are all on the mesh network, one per floor in a 3 story town house.  The WIFI for the house is also plugged into the CISCO.  

Considering that the SONOS's are running a mesh network that is plugged directly into the router there is no chance of the router being overloaded or the SONOS mesh network.  I don't get what the issue is with the dropped streaming.  I seem to have the ideal setup to tolerate interference.
Badge
I too am having problems with radio cutting out its very annoying and we will not be buying any more units until the problem is resolved, I too have submitted diagnostics 4590741
I have multiple Sonos units throughout my home that have worked without error until recently.  I am now having the same issues with BBC Radio 2, to the point it is almost unusable.  It has become so bad that I am considering re-installing my analogue radios throughout the house.  This is certainly not a good advert for Sonos.  I appreciate the problem may lie with the BBC but the solution must be in the hands of Sonos.  Please get it sorted before it tarnishes the name of, what I would consider to be, one of the best home audio systems available today.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I have been struggling all day to listen to BBC Radio 4.  
We're seeing trouble on the MP3 BBC stations currently related to ongoing maintenance from June 1st and June 9th. There are some https://ask.sonos.com/sonos/topics/bbc-radio-maintenance-1-to-9-may-2015  
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I have been experiencing this for the past few days and this afternoon it is particularly bad.  The problkem I am having is with BBC Radio 4.  I have tried direct from TuneIn on my laptop and that was fine so I am pretty sure that it is something about the connection from Sonos to TuneIn.  In addition, Deezer is fine.
It's sparked up again with more frequency as BBC started doing maintenance on their streams yesterday (June 1st). They've notified us that it's going to continue until June 9th. During this time the MP3 streams may experience cutouts and playback trouble. If you use your Favorites, you can try searching for the station instead to get a different stream from the TuneIn servers which may work better for a time.
The problem is still ongoing and we certainly won't be buying any more Sonos products until it is sorted out.  We love Sonos but a significant proportion of our listening is BBC radio and the current service is unacceptable.
Userlevel 2
Badge
I cannot play radio with tunein either !!

Had my system about 4 years, never had an issue, 65 meg fibre line

please fix BBC radio

Ryan - a colleague can the same answer to me on facebook - its not the issue. I did as instructed and it broke up again after an hour. This has been going on for weeks - Sonos needs to let us know their plans and timetable to resolve the underlying issues . This farce has been going on long enough.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Same here. Our Sonos Play:5 has been completely unusable today on Radio 4 and 6 Music. Searching for a new stream and not using favorites hasn't provided any relief at all. As a comparison, our iPad at the office running the BBC Radio app has been rock solid for months.

In reality, our Sonos system it's been completely unreliable since the BBC cut to the new streaming servers. As unfair as Sonos may find this, this really has to be hurting their brand reputation in the UK. We're a hardcore Sonos household and we couldn't recommend them to a friend right now.

Sonos really do need to announce a firm schedule for supporting the HLS AAC streams or start working out how they're going to support AirPlay (so we can use the official BBC Radio app).

Preferably both, to be honest.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26

please fix BBC radio

Hi User66150,

There's some extended maintenance BBC is doing right now on their streams which is causing some cutouts and trouble playing music. It's supposed to go until the 9th. If you're playing out of your Sonos Favorites, you can try searching for the station through the software and playing it, this way you connect to a different stream which might not be having trouble.

please fix BBC radio
My Sonos syetm is dropping TuneIn signal very often for the last three days, I sumbmited Support Diagnostics Conf.# 4610193
Userlevel 2
Badge
Sadley in the same boat... all 5 Sonos enabled rooms play fine (even brilliantly) from my NAS library.  Most radio programs via tunein work without issue....BUT  BBC Radio 4  falls out and stutters all the time for over a month now. Yet Radio4 plays very happily on a PC Browser via "tunein" webpage. Whats Up ?   Sonos used to work really well ....now I have to feed the system via a Kluge with a PC ...far from elegant not user acceptable! 
Userlevel 2
Well another frustrated listener to the BBC streams via Sonos. Some small comfort comes from knowing it is a wider issue and not just my local network. What makes a mockery of it is that the Linn Radio 320kbps streams are flawless. The BBC streams are particularly bad today and whilst it certainly isn't Sonos's fault a resolution really needs finding asap. I too wouldn't consider adding further units to my considerable investment until I have a stable service back.
I am also having the same issue with BBC streams. Until this issue is resolved, shouldn't SONOS make it clear (before purchase) that streaming of BBC radio is not supported? This is obviously of particular importance to the UK market.

What is the estimated timescale for a resolution?
Userlevel 2
I too am having serious problems listening to radio via TuneIn. All the BBC stations play fine for a few minutes, then they start to stutter. If I stop and restart them, the same thing happens again. I have also experienced streams simply stopping after a period, for no reason, and the controller indicates they are still playing. I've submitted a diagnostic - 4603959 - in the hope that some light can be shed on why this is happening. It started when I updated to the new Beta software v5.4, as I'm a Sonos Beta Tester. Despite continuing to update to the latest patch, there is no improvement. I'm starting to tear my hair out, as I use Sonos to listen to the radio a lot, and alongside the problems of the BBC streams being non UK specific, this new problem is making me think about adding to my system........