TuneIn Radio (BBC Catchup) shows not appearing in Sonos search (but do on TuneIn website)

Userlevel 1
Badge
Hi,

I am getting a bit fed up with my favourite BBC Radio catchup shows (Pete Tong Friday night especially) not appearing in TuneIn Radio Search or Browse results in the Sonos App. If I go to the TuneIn Website they appear, but can't be found in the Sonos App.

The shows appear in the Sonos Radioplayer App (but this does not allow scrubbing forwards/backwards).

FWIW, I know I can use BBC Sounds and Airplay2 to my Sonos, but I prefer to listen via the Sonos Apps.

Any ideas what is going on with TuneIn on Sonos - is it broken for BBC now?

Rgds

Gary

16 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +20
I would check with TuneIn - they may be missing a Sonos-compatible url in their database for that station. The list of stations is determined entirely by them. Also check your Sonos account Location as it might be geo restricted and your account could be accidentally set non-UK.
Me too, Trevor nelson says wrong format. John leech won't play either
Userlevel 3
Badge +5
i am finding this for certain shows from bbc radio as well.. mainly from R3, radio 4 and 4extra. shows that previously were available (the news quiz) are not ... (this one is now available as Friday Night comedy) however Radio 3 Opera on 3 is no longer available as are some other R3 shows - lunchtime concert for example (which is four days of pre recorded performances and one live) and Afternoon on 3 as well (99 % pre recorded).

its rather annoying. Yes I know i can queue it up on the bbc radio iphone app and play it via airplay ... but that is a bit clumsy...

i dont know if BBC is pulling these shows (and ALL of these were available until a few months ago) ... or is ANYONE from SONOS in contact with BBC?
No one from Sonos would/should be. The relationship from Sonos side is with TuneIn. So what you should be doing is contacting TuneIn and asking them if they're in contact with the BBC. And frankly, I'd be asking the BBC why they're so unwilling to support any of their listeners on TuneIn.
Userlevel 3
Badge +5
Airgetlam wrote:

No one from Sonos would/should be. The relationship from Sonos side is with TuneIn. So what you should be doing is contacting TuneIn and asking them if they're in contact with the BBC. And frankly, I'd be asking the BBC why they're so unwilling to support any of their listeners on TuneIn.

ok good point.

I HAVE actually written to the BBC thru several methods .... and of course no responses.
Unsurprising, most unfortunately. For some reason, they seem to shun people who listen to them through TuneIn. I tend to make the assumption that what they really want is to force everyone to use their own app, so that they can capture all of the data and advertising revenue that there may be through it. As a US citizen, I don't actually subsidize the BBC, other than through my local NPR station, so it's hard for me to consider that they would care about my complaints.
Userlevel 3
Badge +5
Airgetlam wrote:

Unsurprising, most unfortunately. For some reason, they seem to shun people who listen to them through TuneIn. I tend to make the assumption that what they really want is to force everyone to use their own app, so that they can capture all of the data and advertising revenue that there may be through it. As a US citizen, I don't actually subsidize the BBC, other than through my local NPR station, so it's hard for me to consider that they would care about my complaints.

I do listen via the app - in fact 90% of my daily listening is to BBC R3 or 4 or 4x... i also listen to the sirius Met Opera channel and other european classical stations.

up to about last fall ANY bbc radio show was available to add to sonos as a favorite (via TuneIn)... as of this date, almost all of them are NOT - some still are (that are not podcasts) but slowly they seem to be reducing access.

its a shame - the BBC is limiting access more and more and trivializing their programming ... i have been listening for several decades and the recent 'dumbing down' of especially classical music programming is very sad.

still its FAR ABOVE anything available in the US .... so i hope it will stop and stay where it is

at least Airplay works and lets hope THAT continues!
Userlevel 5
Badge +17
Well after latest sonos software update , all my tunein BBC podcasts play when before they would not, could be a co-incidence but I think sonos has fixed something.
Userlevel 5
Badge +20
Lets not confuse two different issues here: enumeration (ie does the station show up in a list) and playback. The former is up to TuneIn (and wont be affected by any Sonos update), the latter may be a Sonos problem or the stream provider.
Userlevel 5
Badge +17
Yeah sonos listed them and I had them saved in my favourites as shows I think, but they would not play, gave an error of wrong format or something like that.
Now the same favourite listed podcasts all play.
Userlevel 3
Badge +5
Paulw123 wrote:

Yeah sonos listed them and I had them saved in my favourites as shows I think, but they would not play, gave an error of wrong format or something like that.
Now the same favourite listed podcasts all play.

interesting... i had deleted all the ones that didnt work ... i will try them this weekend. thanks for posting this !
Userlevel 5
Badge +17
And......they have stopped working again last night, same wrong format error again.
That didn't last long :(
Userlevel 3
Badge +5
yes i find they are not working again... in fact even the Archers (their number one show) was not working this weekend...
Userlevel 3
Badge +5
so i went to TUNEIN.COM and submitted a question in the support center area regarding non availability of the '30 days of past episodes for bbc shows which are available on app and website'. no hopes of getting an answer about this but at least i tried.
Userlevel 5
Badge +17
Good idea, maybe they will have an answer, we don't seem to getting anywhere in here :D
Userlevel 5
Badge +17
And they are working again, but with this weeks shows. All old shows have been removed altogether.

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings