Question

TuneIn not playing stored favourites or many radion broadcasts.

• 10 September 2020
  • 19 replies

I’ve recently swtiched to the new SOnos app. Since then, the only radio stations I’m able to play are those in the UK. Every other radio station eg, 538, Cafe Del Mar and may others will not play at all. I think we can eliminate that these stations have changed the way they boradcast, so can only assume it’s an issue with the new Sonos controller. Can someone help please. Thanks

Paul

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

19 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

There was a recent legal decision in the UK that could have affected the availability of some non-UK stations. Does TuneIn list them but fail to play them, or does it not even list them any more?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

For info here: https://torrentfreak.com/tunein-radio-infringed-sony-warners-copyrights-high-court-rules-191101/

Thanks for that link. That probably explains why o/seas stations are off limits then. Pity as I now have no way of streaming these stations through a Sonos. Even If I  VPN as though I’m in the contry doesn’t get me round that problem. :-(

TuneIn shows them but doesn’t play them

Though Sonos still market TuneIn as a service to radio worldwide, so I’m wondering if the issue is with Sonos? Perhaps Sonos care to comment please

Badge

I have the same issue. It just started today. I guess it’s a smaller world from now on, unless anyone has a solution or a paid service where we can still access them?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

If you have a direct url for the stream you can add that to your Sonos using the desktop controller, that will work unless the radio station also implement geo-blocking.

Badge

If you go into Settings → Services & Voice → Add A Service, and from the list select and install another radio service, e.g. myTuner Radio, you can play and save stations that you might have recently lost. I did this for all the SomaFM stations, which had suddenly become unavailable in the Sonos app 2 days ago. Presumably these other stations have taken care of the licensing arrangements for users in the UK and elsewhere. I don’t know how good the streaming quality is for myTuner radio, because the Sonos app does not state the bit rate on the Now Playing screen -- Developers -- can this be implemented in a future iteration of the app, please? It’s useful to know the streaming quality of our favourite radio stations.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I believe Sonos Radio just uses TuneIn Radio for most of it’s radio streams anyway so once TuneIn stops working so does Sonos Radio.

Hopefully the licensing issues can be sorted otherwise TuneIn, and by association, Sonos Radio are basically defunct in the UK.

Hello,

Would be great to see an official answer on this instead of speculation.

The Spanish & German stations I listen through via Tunein have stopped working.

The same stations are available via SONOS radio but they won’t work through there either.

Makes my SONOS system slightly less valuable to me than it was as I’m going to have to find other ways of accessing/listening.

I’m using the SONOS OS S2 and am up to date. 

Does anyone have any work arounds?

THANK YOU! :thumbsup_tone2:

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

As I said above: “If you have a direct url for the stream you can add that to your Sonos using the desktop controller“

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Would be great to see an official answer on this instead of speculation.

Agreed, although it’s not really speculation. Sonos said the TuneIn was a partner in providing content for Sonos Radio and this article explains why TuneIn currently don’t have a viable UK business.

https://www.simkins.com/2020/01/uk-users-can-tunein-to-overseas-radio-but-tunein-needs-a-uk-licence/

But yes, with Sonos being a premium product I would expect them to make some kind of announcement as to why their radio service has suddenly stopped working properly.

As I said above: “If you have a direct url for the stream you can add that to your Sonos using the desktop controller“

Thanks controlav.

Anybody got a stream for Beachgrooves Radio and Miami Soundsets please?

I tried controlav’s method for Beachgrooves using http://stream.beachgrooves.com:8000 but no joy.

THANKS

Badge

@R-ADER I think you need this: https://stream.beachgrooves.com:9000/stream.mp3

You can find it in the page source of the hosting website, if you know where to look.

THANKS seamark...that’s great!!  Works a treat.

Found the page source, so a nice work around. :man_dancing_tone1:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/260?language=en_US

Add an Internet radio station to Sonos

Have a favorite radio station and it’s not listed in Sonos? Try adding it manually using the steps below. Sonos supports MP3, AAC and WMA audio formats for streaming Internet radio stations, just make sure you have the streaming URL handy. Radio by TuneIn must be added to your Sonos system in order to manually add a radio station URL.

How do I find the Streaming URL for my station?
Contacting the station you wish to add directly is often the easiest way of finding the Streaming URL. Just make sure the stream is of one of the compatible formats; MP3, AAC or WMA.

Using the Sonos App for iOS or Android:

1. From the Browse tab, select Radio by TuneIn
  2. Tap My Radio Stations
  3. Tap the three dots in the top right and tap Add New Radio Station
  4. Enter the Streaming URL and Station Name and tap OK

Using the Sonos App for Mac or PC:

1. Select Manage and Add Radio Station.
  2. Paste in the streaming URL of the station you wish to add, and type in the name of the station.
  3. From the Sonos music menu, navigate to Radio by TuneIn > My Radio Stations where the newly added station will be listed.

On a Mac, the “Manage” menu can be found in the toolbar in the top left corner of the screen. On a PC, the “Manage” menu is found at the top left of the Sonos application.

Help. I have a similar problem. The Radio stations that i listen to from the US, stored in my favorites were playing fine then this last week i installed Amazon Music and YouTube Music as services. Now 2 of my 3 stored radio stations will not play! However one does. They are on Sonos Radio. Any advice welcome

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I have created a master thread for this; https://en.community.sonos.com/music-services-and-sources-228994/tunein-blocking-foreign-radio-stations-in-the-uk-master-thread-6848128

Thank you Controlav