Answered

Trying to setup S2 Music Library from external USB drive on Mac

• 12 April 2022
  • 3 replies

Hello,

I’ve read all the similar topics I could find but I can’t get my Music Library to load in Sonos S2 on my Mac Mini running Monterey 12.3.1. I’ve both shared the folders and unshared the folder, changed the privacy settings for Sonos, and looked at my router settings to see if there’s anything there I can change. The router doesn’t have anything listed under USB storage devices, despite the fact I have two drives connected via USB C. If I load the native iTune folder the one song I have in there loads. Unfortunately all my music is sitting on external drives. I’d appreciate any advice you could offer, please.

Thank you.

icon

Best answer by Beati3 13 April 2022, 11:06

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Beati3 

Thanks for your post!

To be clear, your USB drives are connected to your router and you are using the Sonos App on your Mac to add the paths, yes?

We are aware of an issue whereby Sonos is unable to connect to SMB shares created by a router for USB drives connected to it - we’re working on fixing this, but as yet have no time frame to share.

In the meantime, I recommend you connect the USB drives to your Mac and share from there. You may need to follow these instructions if adding the paths to Sonos still doesn’t work:

• Open System Preferences on your Mac.
  • Click on Security > Privacy.
  • Under the Privacy tab, click on Full Disk Access.
  • Check the box next to Sonos Library Server.
  • Close the preferences window

Add the share to Sonos, or re-index if the paths are already added.

Alternatively, instead of connecting the USB drives to the Mac semi-permanently, copy the contents of the USB drives to the iTunes folder on your Mac and re-index.

I hope this helps.

Thank you for the response. The USB drive wasn’t attached to the router. I was only investigating that as selecting the drive attached to my computer “wasn’t working”. To be clear, the fault was in the cockpit. I was selecting my music folder but not clicking into it. I’ve just clicked into the music folder, got the “Choose” button - which is very important - and now Sonos S2 is busily updating my music library. It would be more helpful if the direction said that the button needs to say ”choose” for the process to work. All good now though. Thank you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Beati3 

I’m glad to hear you’ve got it working!

I believe the method by which you choose a folder is built into the operating system of the computer - only Apple would be able to change that. It is done in the same way for other applications too, however, so you’ve learned a skill!

Thanks for updating the thread.