Answered

Tired Of Waiting For Google home Integration

Userlevel 4
  • Contributor I
  • 2 replies
I am @ least 10 year Sonos veteran and it seams that Sonos as a company doesn't mind alienating what I would think is a considerable amount it owner base to Add Profit over Customer Loyalty. Sonos has been promising Google home Integration for @ least 1 Year & has been stringing along its Loyal Customers along while choosing to accept Money from Amazon over customer loyalty to allow Amazon to dictate whom will be able to integrate with Sonos Does SONOS think we a oblivious to what Sonos has done. Why Would I want to add Wires to my wireless system as a work around NICE THANKS . I have already started my SONOS Replacement Research there are many out their now. Thanks Sonos for appreciating MY 10 YEAR LOYALTY!!!
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 1 November 2018, 15:27

Hi everyone, I just posted an update to the status of Google Assistant coming to Sonos here which also links to our Blog. We'll make sure to keep you updated with any news we have to share. Thanks for your patience, and we are as excited to bring you Google Assistant as you are to get it. We're hard at work on building the integration and look forward to getting it in your hands as soon as it's ready.
View original

196 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Sonos announced that Google Assistant support would be coming in 2018. They announced it in October last year that they were working on - so your actually completely wrong (it has been 6 months). Note it did take a year from announcement of Alexa support in Fall of 2016 to release in Fall 2017. These things just as much involve Amazon/Google timelines as Sonos.

I don't think most people here have expected to see Google before this summer.

When you purchased your Sonos you didn't even know anything about Google Assistant. How is Sonos giving out a free upgrade to support something it was originally never intended for putting "Profit over Customer Loyalty". They seem to be doing the opposite. When you purchased Sonos 10 years ago you didn't even know what voice control was or would be. For Sonos to give it then to you 10 years later for free - yea slam them!

Amazon is paying Sonos money??? Ummm... most likely Sonos is paying Amazon! For your loyalty by the way!

And I have no idea what where sonos made you add wires to your wireless statement comes from. Very confusing statement.

I don't see anything in your rant that appears to have any factual basis. Actually I have to say rather ridiculous rant.

I just re-read - and best of luck finding something else other then Google that supports Google. There are no others. Why did you all of a sudden come to the dramatic notion that you immediately needed Google support and Sonos should get it to you immediately.
Userlevel 3
Badge +6
I'll just chime in to say that I've been impatiently waiting for Sonos to get Google Assistant working. I've been a Sonos user (and fan) since nearly the very beginning.

I've used both Alexa and Google Home devices a fair amount and for me personally, Google Home runs circles around Alexa. So much in fact that I refuse to even enable Alexa on my Sonos One. I realize that everyone is different so Alexa may work better for some. But for me... Google Home/Assistant is the best answer.

I've seen some discussion above (I lurk more than I post) about being able to use existing Google Home devices with Sonos once the integration hits. It's been my assumption all along that this would work. If not, it will be an epic failure and let down. I've already got a well established Sonos ecosytem spread throughout my house. And since I've been here since the early days, many of these units aren't speakers and only one of my ten zones is enabled for Alexa. I've got zero interest in updating my Sonos system just so that I can use Google Assistant via the smart speakers. I'd gladly put a Home Mini in every room that I need it in for proper Sonos integration (and I already have this in place anyway).

So my default position is that we should be able to use existing Google Home/Assistant devices to interact with Sonos. Outside of that I'm sure there will be some disappointments and concessions - like not being able to group Sonos players via voice commands or only being able to control volume on the entire group or one player instead of specifying which zone you want to change or being limited in the sources of music that can be accessed via voice commands, etc. But those should come with time.

Anyway - sorry for the long rambling post but this has been an area that I've been very excited about for a while now and it's LONG overdue (regardless of when they announced it or any other factors... they are simply behind the curve here and they know it). I hope it arrives by the end of November.
Userlevel 4
https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3467?language=en_US

Very Naive!!!!
Userlevel 1
Badge
Can't wait for my Sonos speakers to start appearing in the new Google Home app, or via the new Home Hub. Wishful thinking I know :D

I can 100% guarantee that this time spent waiting is not because Sonos and Google are working out how to combine the 2, but more that Amazon and Sonos signed an exclusivity contract of sorts, preventing Sonos from allowing an alternative interface beside Alexa from operating on the platform for a set amount of time- the strategy behind this would be that people who do not have a smart home system at their house quite yet, would be pigeon holed into purchasing Amazon Echo products.

It would be a pretty good strategy on Amazon's part because if you are looking for a whole-home audio system, Sonos is really the only contender here, until only recently, the Apple Homepod, and Alexa is the only interface- so people start purchasing Echo products thus cementing what their smart home platform is moving forward.

There's no way that all of this time we have been waiting, it's been because of the engineering of Google Assistant integration into Sonos- in this span of time, Sonos has released 3 new products, meanwhile, every digital/gadgets conference, there has been anything and everything, from microwaves to cars that have "smart" features integrated into them.

And Alexa is FAR inferior to Google assistant. From playing music, to other commands, it's actaully quite frustrating because Sonos is a great product, but the fact that their willing to leverage their customer base for some exclusivity contract with Amazon is bold imho... Also, I thought the build quality of the Sonos 1 is a more well thought out design/quality over the Sonos ONE. Really the only thing stopping me from selling all of my Sonos products is the speaker bar, but the minute Apple comes out with an equal, its sayonara Sonos.
Badge
I am also impatiently waiting for Google home and Sonos integration. I feel since it has already been done on Alexa, Google integration shouldn't take as long. Also, Yonami is a joke as it only works about half the time.
I won't be buying another Sonos product until they integrate with Google home. This is silicon valley most products support Google home and Alexa more than 50% even work with airplay.. these delays have gotten out of hand and there is no reason for the delays. I have already started looking into alternatives and once I start selling off my Sonos products I won't be looking back. I hope the integration comes soon because my patients are running out ( I have 2500$ invested! So hard to walk away but worth it if they don't value my future business, 2 more rooms left to go.)
I really don't understand with the hold up is with Sonos. I keep hearing on the Sonos forum that it's Google and not Sonos that's holding things up but that's hard to believe. Google has bought the company api.ai for a long time now. Phillips hue works, Netflix. Sonos should have become an early adopter like the companies but they choose not to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvyrvowZ4wQ
https://api.ai/google-assistant/
I totally agree. I think Sonos made a really bad call partnering with Alexa. I have both Alexa and and the Google home, and Alexa is total crap compared to Google. Alexa is a huge pain in the ass to setup, does not integrate as well with other smart devices. Alexa does not work as well with spotify, usless in my opinion. I ask Alexa to play some 80s music on spotify "I can't do that yet" Google " No problem here is a 80s playlist on Spotify". I can go on and on but it frustrates me that I want to expand my google devices and my whole house is sonos, and the only way to voice control Sonos is with Alexa and it's trash. I hope Sonos realizes that they will lose existing/future customers to the google speakers if they don't react fast enough on this integration. If Google releases a sub and a playbar game over.:@
I don't trust Sonos for anything now. They marketed this device as 'going to support Google Assistant' to sell units last Christmas. It was a selling point to be the only device that supports both. They fooled people (including me) into buying it for that reason alone. A year later they're back at the same strategy of using Google Assistant integration to sell more Sonos One devices. I don't care what's holding this up, they clearly mislead the public.

Not buying anything from them based on their speculation again.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
What!

Yea of course you could hook a Google Audio device to an input on Sonos. I mean I have a chromecast dongle (don't use it but have one). You've been always able to do that.

But what in the world does that have anything to do with your rant. It has nothing to do with upcoming native support of Google wirelessly that Sonos is working on.

Maybe you should call Sonos on the phone and have a conversation.
Badge +12
Patiences is not a strong point for you I guess.

You are thinking 6 months is a long time. Try ikea tradfri light into google home. It was announce last April, it just be came available over this weekend. It was so late, they had to place stickers on their packaging to cover up google assistance support on the tradfri light and support items they had in inventory. So it was a year after it was announced. As RVA pointed out, alexa took a year from announcement to implication. So if support comes in May or June, that is a fast release. Delays happen with all manufactures. Apple Airplay2 is delayed, HomePod missed the xmas sale season. Google and alexa don't even have multi-room support, let alone 5.1 support. Not sure whey they will support stereo pairing either.

I have been a sonos user since 2009, and out of all my home electronics it has been one of the most future proof things in my home inventory, think only the apple ecosphere items are as reliable as my sonos. They only removed couple of small items from support. And When I started, I used it on my iPhone and iTunes on my mac, they have added countless streaming service as that sector grew. I can not find another system that lets me use apple music, spotify, deezer, google music, tune in, and the other 30 plus services out there. If you look at the sonos system, it has grown with the changing market. Started out a music system, then added home theater, and as streaming music became the big thing, the upgraded to add that ability. Since home assistance voice control, sonos is adding that ability for their customer for free as well.

I don't mind people ranting, but facts should be correct.

PS since they are added it into the google ecosphere, and a direct competitor for the Google Home Max speaker, google could be holding up support as well, by delaying some updates. Just something else to consider. This is not a one side upgrade. Google needs to have some things inplace in their google assistance before 3rd parties can launch features.
Badge +12
well said shoturtle

I'm still confused as to why he thinks Sonos is trying to get more money out of him by giving his 10 year old system a free upgrade to Google Home (that never existed until a few years ago).

I really don't think sonos has every go me to buy new hardware for any of the feature they added by software. My play 5 is still supported.
Thank you all for sharing your opinions.
I was interested in acquiring Sonos brand products for my home. After joining the Sonos community and reading many posts relating to Google Home and Alexa, I’ve decided to save my money.

I have multiple google speakers throughout the house.
Google’s Home App now lets users group speakers allowing me to wirelessly stream music (Google Play Music, YouTube Red) throughout my home.

A relatively recent update also lets me turn a Google Home speaker into a Bluetooth speaker.

I understand the frustration of author of this post. Why should you have to add a chromecast audio to your Sonos speaker? I get it.

I rather not be bothered with it. I’ll find a decent sound bar for my Living Room TV and leave the voice control functions to the multiple google homes throughout the house. Which by the way are very cost effective and sound great.
Fair enough. The general opinion seems to be that the Google Home's sound is significantly inferior to a Play:1 and vastly inferior to a Play:5. But of course that is reflected in the pricing. Sound quality is more important to me than anything, but that is just personal preference.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
The ridiculous part is that Airplay 2 was released one month ago, yet it is going to be supported next month. Google Home, as stated by thienedits was released 1.5 years ago and they didn't even care enough to announce a a date except 2018. At least we see where Sonos focus lies, I'll keep that in mind when I buy speakers in the future.

Implimentimg airplay2 is a mich easier integration than google home. First off, airplay 2 is a one way integration, just receiving an audio stream. Google is 2-way, with all sorts of cammands going back and forth.

Airplay 2 has been in development by both Apple and Sonos for way more than this past month. It'snot as if sonos suddenly dropped google development and put all developers on airplay work right when airplay was released. At the same time, you don't really know how Google is prioritizing it's part of the integration with Sonos.

And why single out airlay 2? Why are you not similarly bothered that sonso created a new product while it could have devoted those resources to Google inregration.

Last, is there another smart speaker company that will have Google integration before Sonos? I could be wrong, but i'm not aware of it.

As far as annoucijg a date, that she reonforce that it's complex, and they don't want to give a firm date only to end up missing it...like Apple did with the homepod. It shouldn't be taken to mean that Sonos doesn't care.

I get the frustration abouting having to wait, but that doesn't change facts about why google home integration isn't here already.

Well, there are two different points on Google integration. There is the one way integration (using Google Home/any Android phone) to just give inputs to all of Sonos speakers. Then there is also the two way integration you mentioned, only available on the Sonos One. The one way integration should be quite similar to Airplay 2. The only reason I could understand for it taking that long is that they want to release the two way integration straight away and not release it only afterwards.

About the Sonos Beam. Well, Sonos is a hardware company. It won't make any money by creating software. So they need to also focus on releasing new products. Airplay 2 and Google integration are both software related task, it feels like the one is being prioritized.

There are quite a few companies with GH integration: JBL, Sony, Panasonic, LG,... (https://assistant.google.com/platforms/speakers/), but I admit that none of them are playing in the same league as Sonos is. The only real competitor I see for the Play:5 is the Google Home Max, although still not as good (slightly cheaper and with microphones, so the price to value ratio is quite similar IMO).

But you are right saying that there is no competitor to the One right now, all the 3rd party speakers lack functionality and I trust none of these brands to deliver a long-living product.

What I am saying is that I am currently invested in Sonos and (assuming the GH integration will come this year) that is not going to change. But if I were to buy new speakers today, I would probably go for Google Home and Max.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Good list. I had seen some of those before but forgotten it.

I would add though that even i terms of one way integration, airplay 2 and google are noy that similar. Airplay 2 streams theough your phone. Take the phone off the network and the stream dies. Google integration is cloud based. Your voice command goes to the google cloud, then to Sonos cloud, back to yours sonos system where ut streams the audio directly.
Personally, I don’t need Sonos speakers to have built in assistants (like the Sonos one (Alexa built-in)), but, what I need is for Sonos speakers to be able to be control by external smart speakers (like Google Assistant smart speakers (Home Mini, Home and Home Max)) as I have Google Home Minis through out my house, and I have Play:3s as well.

What I want is so I can say something like “Hey Google, Play Australia Top 50 from Spotify on Living Room Sonos Speaker” (Italics where replaceable with what ever service, playlist or assistant you have and Sonos Speaker name).

If I have built-in assistants into the speaker, it would be great, but I don’t want to have to buy a separate speaker just for the built-in assistant functionality, as I have plenty of speakers right now.

Who else wants an update to include support for this kind of thing?
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
And yet we have been able to "cast" from GPM on android to sonos as a target since 2013!!
I see your logic but this would be very frustrating if it only worked on sonos one & beam, neither of which customers who bought products more than 2 years ago would have.
Userlevel 3
Badge +6
Can't wait for my Sonos speakers to start appearing in the new Google Home app, or via the new Home Hub. Wishful thinking I know :D

Nice. I've been waiting on my Home app to update. I've preorderd the new Google Home Hub just for this purpose. I've got smart switches and/or lights all throughout my house as well as smart thermostats and I'm currently using a dedicated tablet along with ActionTiles as a dashboard/remote system.

The Google Home Hub along with this update for better home control could/SHOULD be a great solution! Not sure why it's taken someone so long to do this.
I can 100% guarantee that this time spent waiting is not because Sonos and Google are working out how to combine the 2, but more that Amazon and Sonos signed an exclusivity contract of sorts, preventing Sonos from allowing an alternative interface beside Alexa from operating on the platform for a set amount of time- the strategy behind this would be that people who do not have a smart home system at their house quite yet, would be pigeon holed into purchasing Amazon Echo products.

It would be a pretty good strategy on Amazon's part because if you are looking for a whole-home audio system, Sonos is really the only contender here, until only recently, the Apple Homepod, and Alexa is the only interface- so people start purchasing Echo products thus cementing what their smart home platform is moving forward.

There's no way that all of this time we have been waiting, it's been because of the engineering of Google Assistant integration into Sonos- in this span of time, Sonos has released 3 new products, meanwhile, every digital/gadgets conference, there has been anything and everything, from microwaves to cars that have "smart" features integrated into them.

And Alexa is FAR inferior to Google assistant. From playing music, to other commands, it's actaully quite frustrating because Sonos is a great product, but the fact that their willing to leverage their customer base for some exclusivity contract with Amazon is bold imho... Also, I thought the build quality of the Sonos 1 is a more well thought out design/quality over the Sonos ONE. Really the only thing stopping me from selling all of my Sonos products is the speaker bar, but the minute Apple comes out with an equal, its sayonara Sonos.

Lol.
Is it 2019 yet?
This is extremely disappointing. Spending too much time on ridiculous Beastie Boys, colored speakers, IFTTT, broadcasting, while letting this most important feature fall by the wayside? Investors will NOT be pleased, a huge miss of the year’s most important buying period.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
This is extremely disappointing. Spending too much time on ridiculous Beastie Boys, colored speakers, IFTTT, broadcasting, while letting this most important feature fall by the wayside? Investors will NOT be pleased, a huge miss of the year’s most important buying period.

While I agree with the disappointment and the likely reaction from investors, I doubt that the Sonos staff that worked on speaker colors could have been repurposed to work on the Google integration. IFTTT, broadcasting, and other tech changes, that's entirely possible. I don't know the specific skill sets involved. And of course, it could be that Google didn't devote enough resources to it, or some other unforeseen issue.

The results are the same though, doesn't really matter to customers.
Userlevel 3
Badge +6

Your last line says it all really. A subset of their customers have been waiting for this announced feature for a long time. And they just announced a delay.

It's like when someone owes you money that they supposedly don't have but then you see them eating at a restaurant. Sure they have to eat but...

It's just my opinion only, but I see that as less of a concern. The customers you're talking about already own Sonos products. Yes, many of those existing customers will hold off on purchasing new products, but not all. It is a concern, but many of those upset customers will forgive and move on once the integration arrives.

I'd be more concerned about the customers that don't have Sonos yet, but are shopping for Google Assistant speakers. These customers are no longer going to consider getting a Sonos product, and will end up Google Max or some other speaker instead. When Sonos does get the Google Asisstant available, the Christmas money will be gone and they'll have invested in a different system.

Good points and I agree. But I also see this as a chink in the armour for Sonos. Anything that hurts your reputation has the potential to do some long-lasting harm.

Honestly, if I were starting from scratch I'm not 100% convinced that I'd go with Sonos right now. Back when Sonos started they were evolutionary. And back then, audio quality was king. Today most of us (me included) have settled for single portable speakers where we used to want premium quality sound. This is of course because of all the bluetooth/smart speakers floating around but it has certainly paved the way for things like the Google Home Max. I could easily plant several of those around my house and have most of what I want with my Sonos and Google Assistant integration - and for a lot less money than I've got invested in my Sonos ecosystem.

To me - this is a major setback for Sonos. They needed to hit this deadline and they didn't. Is it the end of the world? No. But it's certainly a chink in the armour and I hope for their sake that the 2019 date is somewhere in Q1. Anything outside of that and they'll find themselves in a hole that they may never dig out of. In order to get premium prices for your products you've got to deliver.