Answered

Tired Of Waiting For Google home Integration

Show first post

196 replies

Badge
That news is 14days old!!
Here's some of my better conspiracy theories:-
Maybe it is google dragging their feet, costing sonos sale over black Friday & xmas.
Maybe they didn't like the threat of a denon like court case and are playing a long game.
Maybe sonos made the wrong staff redundant and are short of good engineers.

Please add your own:-

Haha, I'm in favor of Google not really being into the "shared space with Alexa"

Please don't! :8
Badge

Please don't! :8
You think it might get us blacklisted for the beta ? ??

You think it might get us blacklisted for the beta ? ??

The poster I quoted has a long history of firing out absurd conspiracy theories, even after they have been repeatedly debunked.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Where as this poster has "allegedly" done something with someone's sister.....;)
At least the tin hat stuff has died a death.
We need more humour in here 😳.........hopefully having a laugh wouldn't get you blacklisted....do you think a blacklist exists?..maybe I am on it as I keep applying, do every survey......... but nothing....
In case you did not see this yet: https://blog.sonos.com/en/google-assistant-update/ - they are getting ready 😉
Google integration should've been done.

Even WAPO gives it to Sonos on this point......

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2018/11/21/i-live-with-alexa-google-assistant-siri-heres-which-you-should-pick/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.c8d5580d02ca
All of these comments aside, and the frustration of not having Google home integration available, you can't take away from the fact that the products are excellent, and the service and support of Sonos, the company, outstanding. Okay, everything isn't available... now. But it will be. I have had Sonos for close to 10 years and have it installed in three different locations. I'm not about to let a small setback like Google home integration diminish my enjoyment of excellent products. I'm just using Alexa for my two Sonos Ones until Google becomes available. And I wouldn't describe myself as patient!

Glad to hear your shares in Sonos are still providing great dividends! However for the average Joe Smoe like me who invested in a promise from Sonos that they have not produced, (and please no-one quote any end of 2018 at me, as it is an ongoing stalling tactic, that much now seems obvious and frankly I was hoping to buy more compatible Google devices in Black Friday sales to compliment my 4 Sonos One's.) it is nothing short of immoral and frankly approaching mis-selling and false advertising of the first degree. If a tech company sells tech on the basis of it having a specific feature, in a specific time frame and they don't produce the goods then frankly that is at the least a huge breach of trust. Analogies about Turkeys or speculation on what time of year they alluded or didn't allude to aside, the undeniable truth is that they have either mislead, or promised functionality out of their capabilities to deliver in the time frame they themselves stated, and in doing so have taken advantage of both loyal and new customers with unfulfilled promises, Sonos should be hanging their heads in shame!!!

No need for the cheap shot about shares in Sonos. I realise that you are frustrated. Best wishes, Gary
there is a workaround with Google home. Download the Yonomi app (also a home controller but it works with Sonos) and set up a routine (e.g. "play Sonos"). Add Yonomi as a device in the 'home control' . Ask Google Home to activate ("Yonomi routine name"). Bit of a faff but it works!
So after reading the blog post, it looks like google assistant in time the the holiday season has turned to early 2019...bah.
Badge
WHERE IS THIS INTEGRATION?
Seriously your CEO hinted at it back in August! Where is it? I don't want to use Alexa. THE USP of Sonos is that it works with many platforms. I don't want to be tied in with Alexa, I want to be able to choose my virtual assistant.
Well I signed up for the beta...but well'll see if I get accept into it. To be honest, I have plenty of echo dots that work flawlessly with Sonos. They also have superior microphones and saying "Alexa" is much more natural to me than "hey Google." Still, I'd like my new Google Hub to work with Sonos since music and lighting control are the only things I use these assistants for.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Have a look at this, google home working with sonos via IFTTT. Something to try for free:-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20lFWrBi6Qc
I too find the time taken to get the integration with GA really annoying. As a short term work around I am using IFTTT to play a playlist, start, stop and control volume. I'd still like the ability for it to play in several rooms though.
I too find the time taken to get the integration with GA really annoying. As a short term work around I am using IFTTT to play a playlist, start, stop and control volume. I'd still like the ability for it to play in several rooms though.. Total agree! Where can we sign up for beta? I have 10 sonos speakers and love google assistant.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Total agree! Where can we sign up for beta? I have 10 sonos speakers and love google assistant.

https://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/4667021/Google-Assistant-Recruitment
I've given in for now & swapped 2 of my Sonos 1s for these
https://www.hughes.co.uk/product/audio/hifi-and-speakers/multiroom-audio/onkyo/vcgx30w

They sound superb & seamless Google Assistant built in. Bargain at the moment
Badge
https://www.hughes.co.uk/product/audio/hifi-and-speakers/multiroom-audio/onkyo/vcgx30w

All they need is a better looking design. I do like the Airplay feature.
How did you find this? I don't recall seeing any marketing hype around this product at all.
Userlevel 3
Badge +6

All they need is a better looking design. I do like the Airplay feature.
How did you find this? I don't recall seeing any marketing hype around this product at all.

Yea, those things are quite hideous indeed. I hate that silly bulge.

I'll keep waiting on Sonos. For now, I've got one of my more used Play 5's hooked to a few Harmony activities. From there I've set a Routine in Google Assistant to allow me a kick-off certain playlists/stations with a few common language phrases like "Hey Google, play some Jazz music" or "Hey Google, play No Shoes Radio"

Works well enough for now but the Sonos integration is where I'm hoping things really open up the possibilities for us all.
I too am waiting for Google integration and am disappointed that they aren't even giving a better target than "2019". How about let's narrow that down to a quarter (IE: Q1 2019).

Expectations are high as they should be. Sonos is not cheap. It sounds like they need a good project manager in house :D:D
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I too am waiting for Google integration and am disappointed that they aren't even giving a better target than "2019". How about let's narrow that down to a quarter (IE: Q1 2019).

Well, I'm guessing they don't want to further disappoint customers if they end up having to miss a date a second time. Based on the blog post, they'll lock down a date when they have more control of unknown variables.

Expectations are high as they should be. Sonos is not cheap. It sounds like they need a good project manager in house :D:D

Even a good project manager can't always prevent delays. I'm sure Apple had a good PM on their Homepod, yet that was delayed several months, and was not released with all the features promised. Amazon announced several new echo/alexa related products back in Sept. Quite a few of them are not yet released, and I can't imagine Amazon didn't want them on the virtual shelves for the Christmas season.
I keep waiting for google integration as well and keep buying more Sonos speakers. Google integration was a big selling point to me at one time. I even purchased a Google home mini which is currently sitting in a drawer in my bedroom. At this point I don’t know if I care anymore.

Whoever is the cause for the delay is Amazon gain.

I now have Sonos speakers throughout my home and amazon dots in just about every room. All my TVs now have Fire sticks. Combine everything with Lutron switches and I’m happy. As a consumer I’m going to choice what works for me. Sonos was able to keep me as a customer because the product delivers from a music standpoint. Frankly I’m not terribly happy with the Alexa intergration which is why I have multiple dots and no Sonos Ones.

The dots are so cheap it was a no brained and it works wonderfully. Between Alexa and Wink I rarely touch a switch of any kind
I just asked my Google Home Mini to play BBC Radio 4, by saying: "Hey Google. Radio 4". I think that I usually say "Hey Google, Play BBC Radio 4".

Its response was very interesting:

"I looked for Radio 4 on Sonos but it couldn't be found."
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Are you on the beta program or have IFTTT set up?....my only guesses.
Ah, false alarm.

It was an old name I had given to the target Chromecast, that was being triggered by a GA routine I have setup.

Nothing to see here. Move along please.