Answered

Tired Of Waiting For Google home Integration

Show first post

196 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17
"At the end of the day, they are used for playing music and doing timers and that's it"
Err no, a lot more than that, house thermostats, security cameras, light bulbs, photos on tv , Netflix, chromecast etc

"It is our job to tell them hey, you can do that and it will sound better"
Better than a google max is debateable....2nd generation google speakers may solve that one.

"it will be open to all the services so you aren't just trapped in one ecosystem."
Sonos can offer amazon music on top, who wants that with google play music on offer.....
Userlevel 3
Badge +6
I'm not really sure what to take from that "interview" with Spence to be honest.

What I WANT to take away from it is that the Google Assistant integration will be tighter than what we see with Alexa and will therefor be worth the wait.

I still feel like Sonos is always on the defensive though. Kind-of always a half step behind and instead of fighting to catch up they start playing defense. I can't quite wrap my head around the comments of seeing Google home mini's as stepping stones to Sonos. I think that's just wishful thinking more than anything. I see Google Home mini's as access points to control my Sonos system (once they get the integration working) but that's only because I already have a robust Sonos ecosystem. Unless they REALLY provide something awesome with Google Assistant integration then I suspect most folks will just opt for adding more Google Home products to their house instead of migrating to Sonos.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I'm not really sure what to take from that "interview" with Spence to be honest.

What I WANT to take away from it is that the Google Assistant integration will be tighter than what we see with Alexa and will therefor be worth the wait.

I'm thinking he means to say that the platform, the framework of Google is better than that of Alexa's. Better in the sense that is more flexible and easier to add features 'the right way' without coding in ways that are in-elegant or that require you to break existing features in order to get it to work. I've seen this sort of thing happen before, where a system is written in such a way to do the original task(s) it was created for well, but not with future features kept in mind. That's often thought of as a necessity in order to get the development done and available as quick as possible.

So, I'm seeing this to mean that the Google integration might not necessarily come with more/better features than the Alexa integration initially, but that the integration will make future features much quicker and easier to do in the future.

But the statement is kind of vague and open to lots of interpretations.

I still feel like Sonos is always on the defensive though. Kind-of always a half step behind and instead of fighting to catch up they start playing defense.

They have to operate under different conditions, different resources than others. I have little doubt that the minis and dots were sold at a lose, or the very least, needed to be sold at very high volumes in order to make a profit. Google and Amazon get away with this as they have customer name recognition, can afford to take big losses, and since the devices are gateways into their ecosystem where they can make money off of you in other ways. Sonos doesn't have this.

I can't quite wrap my head around the comments of seeing Google home mini's as stepping stones to Sonos. I think that's just wishful thinking more than anything. I see Google Home mini's as access points to control my Sonos system (once they get the integration working) but that's only because I already have a robust Sonos ecosystem. Unless they REALLY provide something awesome with Google Assistant integration then I suspect most folks will just opt for adding more Google Home products to their house instead of migrating to Sonos.

I agree that the dots/minis are stepping stones to buy more robust sound systems. If people are satisfied with that level of audio, then they never would buy Sonos anyway. If they are now interested in what a better sound system can do, then they are now potential Sonos customers that never would have looked at Sonos before. However, that does not mean that they are going to buy Sonos instead of all the other possibilities in that are in the space. Sonos has an advantage, IMO, with it's robust multiroom, music sources, HT integrations, stereo pairing, etc. However, those things won't matter to all customers, who may instead choose with a name brand they trust or had good experiences with in the past, etc.
In 24 hours this post has not aged well lol Who's looking real foolish now?

Not me. Sonos most certainly is looking foolish, they dropped the ball big time.

And by the way, exactly what is your problem? Because you seem to spend an inordinate amount of time trying to stir things up with me. Did I date your sister or something?
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
[q. Did I date your sister or something?

Incredibly classless post.

Here's a tip, if you insist in post in every other community thread grow some thicker skin and put a lid on the sexist comments.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hey guys, let's keep it friendly. No need to pick a fight between users here on a topic that's already a bit heated.
New interview with Spence re Google Assistant:

https://www.pocket-lint.com/speakers/news/google/146076-interview-sonos-ceo-talks-ikea-collaboration-google-assistant-and-future-of-company

Sometimes the press is your friend, other times not so much.
https://www.channelnews.com.au/exclusive-sonos-looking-for-new-marketing-head-as-sales-wobble/
Badge
https://blog.sonos.com/en/google-assistant-update/
Well, now, plainly, they false advertised their product at launch as they definitively said 2018. Can we get a partial refund for the lie ?
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Well no mate, you have to suck it up ;O)
You could join the beta to help make it even better.........
Badge

You could join the beta to help make it even better.........

Or get ever more frustrated in the face of bugs on a critical system in my home ?
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
That Australian article is rather odd. It seems to say the Sonos are suffering due to not having a HiRes audio option. Is that really a thing? HiRes is the 3D of the Audio world, lots o blurb but very little reason to use it and limited content.

My concern is that Sonos is gradually eroding its existing users. Removal of hardware controllers and de-scoping of desktop clients seems a big step backwards, and for very little apparent reason. I think we are all awaiting bad news on the CR200 next. The reliance on Mobiles, apple especially, is disconcerting. Yes i use Alexa, but it is by no means my primary device nor would Google be.

One of the USPs for Sonos is that you could use almost any device as a controller, and a dedicated controller was also an option. No longer the case sadly.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Well, now, plainly, they false advertised their product at launch as they definitively said 2018. Can we get a partial refund for the lie ?

You could sell your speaker on ebay for a better deal than any partial refund you would get. I'm not really sure why you would want to get rid of your Sonos though, since it's a critical system in your home. And it's not really false advertising unless the business knew at the time of advertisement that they would not be able to provide the feature at the time promised. I think Sonos would be able to show they had every intention of meeting the date.

That Australian article is rather odd. It seems to say the Sonos are suffering due to not having a HiRes audio option. Is that really a thing? HiRes is the 3D of the Audio world, lots o blurb but very little reason to use it and limited content.

The HiRes option the author is referring to is audio quality beyond what the human ear can recognize, although some claim they can. Maybe more importantly, that particular author is practically the poster boy for fake news. In that I mean that he has a personal vendetta against Sonos and is more interested in damaging the brand than accurate informing his readers. So take what he says with a grain of salt.
I was one of the 'waiters'. Between the mighty Google and Amazon, you chose Alexa Integration??? Seriously - what were you thinking ? I looked at Onkyo G3 (Google Assistant) as sound quality is important but thought - no I'll wait for the Sonos Google integration... for a year... Guess what I just bought? Google Max. No doubt this will be a familiar story. Google just produced a speaker that gives the SONOS 5 a run for its money and believe me, I'm fussy on sound quality. Just buy the Google Max - you won't be disappointed, and it works with Google Assistant, like a charm!
I'd have gone down the SONOS route but I'm sick of waiting.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I was one of the 'waiters'. Between the mighty Google and Amazon, you chose Alexa Integration??? Seriously - what were you thinking ?

At the time the decision was made, Amazon had a huge advantage in market share. As it stands right now, I think it's about 75/25 in favor of Amazon, though Google sales have been doing better than Amazon. I can't say that it was a bad decision., even with hindsight being 20/20.

I looked at Onkyo G3 (Google Assistant) as sound quality is important but thought - no I'll wait for the Sonos Google integration... for a year... Guess what I just bought? Google Max. No doubt this will be a familiar story.

I don't think there is any arguement there. I have no doubt that Sonos understands that missing the Christmas shopping season will have a significant impact. No one is immune to that. I'm sure Apple still regrets having missed last year on the release of the Homepod.

Google just produced a speaker that gives the SONOS 5 a run for its money and believe me, I'm fussy on sound quality. Just buy the Google Max - you won't be disappointed, and it works with Google Assistant, like a charm!

Sound quality is subjective. I haven't seen anything formally saying the Max is as good or better than the Play:5, but that really doesn't matter if the Max meets your needs. Perosonally I like Sonos as I prefer the wider range of speakers choices, the flexibility of using Amazon or Google (eventually), airplay, integration with home theatre, and the wide variety of music sources. But everyone has different priorities. Glad you found what works for you.
Badge
Glad you found what works for you.
I though I would be waiting about six months, and now Sonos keeps saying later. They were not honest as I see it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21

I though I would be waiting about six months, and now Sonos keeps saying later. They were not honest as I see it.

I thought it was pretty clear when they made the annoucement last year that they had a plan for release in 2018, but did not yet have all the details worked out. Things do not always go according to plan, and not every factor can be controlled. I don't think means the planners were dishonest.

As a simple example, if I say I'm going to make a turkey dinner tonight, but then find that the turkey I've been thawing in the fridge for a couple days is still too frozen to cook, making turkey dinner tonight impossible, does that make me dishonest? Sure, those who wanted a turkey dinner are disappointed, can may be blame me for not thawing eariler or something, but it's not a lie, and there was certainly no intention to deceive.
Userlevel 3
Badge +6
I was one of the 'waiters'. Between the mighty Google and Amazon, you chose Alexa Integration??? Seriously - what were you thinking ? I looked at Onkyo G3 (Google Assistant) as sound quality is important but thought - no I'll wait for the Sonos Google integration... for a year... Guess what I just bought? Google Max. No doubt this will be a familiar story. Google just produced a speaker that gives the SONOS 5 a run for its money and believe me, I'm fussy on sound quality. Just buy the Google Max - you won't be disappointed, and it works with Google Assistant, like a charm!

If I weren't so heavily invested in Sonos already (with 12 zones spread throughout my house) I'd definitely be going through Google Max route. Sonos will ultimately be the better, more robust solution (hopefully) but they are playing catch up right now... And not making up a lot of ground.

So... I'm still waiting.
All of these comments aside, and the frustration of not having Google home integration available, you can't take away from the fact that the products are excellent, and the service and support of Sonos, the company, outstanding. Okay, everything isn't available... now. But it will be. I have had Sonos for close to 10 years and have it installed in three different locations. I'm not about to let a small setback like Google home integration diminish my enjoyment of excellent products. I'm just using Alexa for my two Sonos Ones until Google becomes available. And I wouldn't describe myself as patient!
All of these comments aside, and the frustration of not having Google home integration available, you can't take away from the fact that the products are excellent, and the service and support of Sonos, the company, outstanding. Okay, everything isn't available... now. But it will be. I have had Sonos for close to 10 years and have it installed in three different locations. I'm not about to let a small setback like Google home integration diminish my enjoyment of excellent products. I'm just using Alexa for my two Sonos Ones until Google becomes available. And I wouldn't describe myself as patient!

Glad to hear your shares in Sonos are still providing great dividends! However for the average Joe Smoe like me who invested in a promise from Sonos that they have not produced, (and please no-one quote any end of 2018 at me, as it is an ongoing stalling tactic, that much now seems obvious and frankly I was hoping to buy more compatible Google devices in Black Friday sales to compliment my 4 Sonos One's.) it is nothing short of immoral and frankly approaching mis-selling and false advertising of the first degree. If a tech company sells tech on the basis of it having a specific feature, in a specific time frame and they don't produce the goods then frankly that is at the least a huge breach of trust. Analogies about Turkeys or speculation on what time of year they alluded or didn't allude to aside, the undeniable truth is that they have either mislead, or promised functionality out of their capabilities to deliver in the time frame they themselves stated, and in doing so have taken advantage of both loyal and new customers with unfulfilled promises, Sonos should be hanging their heads in shame!!!
Badge
[the undeniable truth is that they have either mislead, or promised functionality out of their capabilities to deliver in the time frame they themselves stated
I agree they should be more sorry than they seem about their obvious mistake. Or perhaps they really just wanted to mislead us, customers.
Well hear we go guys for anyone that anyone that hasn't seen it yet, the news we didnt want but were expecting!

How do I go about getting a refund Sonos?
Badge

Well hear we go guys for anyone that anyone that hasn't seen it yet, the news we didnt want but were expecting!

How do I go about getting a refund Sonos?

Totally agree ?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Glad to hear your shares in Sonos are still providing great dividends!

In the short history that Sonos has been a public company, they have never released any dividends. I'd be surprised if dividends happen for years to come.

However for the average Joe Smoe like me who invested in a promise from Sonos that they have not produced, (and please no-one quote any end of 2018 at me, as it is an ongoing stalling tactic, that much now seems obvious and frankly I was hoping to buy more compatible Google devices in Black Friday sales to compliment my 4 Sonos One's.) it is nothing short of immoral and frankly approaching mis-selling and false advertising of the first degree.

Nothing's stopping you from buying more Google devices. And disappointment and frustration is quite understandable, but I don't see any basis for an acquisition of immorality. With that line of thinking, a company could never provide any sort of release date, whether exact, estimate, or planned, since they would be opening themselves up to lawsuit if they missed the date for whatever reason.

If a tech company sells tech on the basis of it having a specific feature, in a specific time frame and they don't produce the goods then frankly that is at the least a huge breach of trust.

This I can kind of agree with. I wouldn't use that language, but when a company does not deliver a feature when they said they would, a customer can't assume they will deliver the next feature on time either. This is one of the reasons why Sonos rarely gives out release dates for features or products until most of the risk has bee eliminated.,,, much to the frustration of a lot of customers.

Personally, regardless of company track record, I wouldn't buy any product for the features it's going to have instead of the features it has now. Why not just wait until it is the product you want?

Analogies about Turkeys or speculation on what time of year they alluded or didn't allude to aside, the undeniable truth is that they have either mislead, or promised functionality out of their capabilities to deliver in the time frame they themselves stated, and in doing so have taken advantage of both loyal and new customers with unfulfilled promises, Sonos should be hanging their heads in shame!!!

I suppose you can believe whatever you want about why there is a delay or what Sonos intentions were by announcing a 2018 release. I see no reason to believe there was any intention to take advantage of customers.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
That news is 14days old!!
Here's some of my better conspiracy theories:-
Maybe it is google dragging their feet, costing sonos sale over black Friday & xmas.
Maybe they didn't like the threat of a denon like court case and are playing a long game.
Maybe sonos made the wrong staff redundant and are short of good engineers.

Please add your own:-
Badge

This I can kind of agree with. I wouldn't use that language, but when a company does not deliver a feature when they said they would, a customer can't assume they will deliver the next feature on time either. This is one of the reasons why Sonos rarely gives out release dates for features or products until most of the risk has bee eliminated.,,, much to the frustration of a lot of customers.

Personally, regardless of company track record, I wouldn't buy any product for the features it's going to have instead of the features it has now. Why not just wait until it is the product you want?

I think it comes down to how the advertising for the feature to come is done. In this case, I specifically remember Sonos advertising this Google assistant alongside Alexa feature as a big selling point, which would be coming in 2018 (which was close, at the end of 2017).
As for choosing, when I wanted to buy a speaker I had to choose between smart speakers ? I couldn't just wait without music till Sonos decided to give us GA !
I chose the Sonos One instead of other Alexa or Google assistant enabled devices because I wanted to be able to check out both, see which one is better and then use the best one. And if the best one would be to change with functionalities added later (like what Google is doing with it's assistant), to be able to change from time to time !
Also, I use Google play music for my family, which is great, but not on Alexa ?

So I just think because of the way they sold it to us, and the way they don't seem apologetic and don't even advertise it (GA coming soon) anymore like before, makes it like they sold us something that's not of importance to them. And therefore kinda ripped us off.