Answered

Tired Of Waiting For Google home Integration

Show first post

196 replies

So are you saying there was no, warning of a sonos patent threat to google?
I prefer the "voice of reason" label I was awarded :P

Just remember the poster who awarded you that moniker was one of the most bat sh*t crazy posters we have had on here, and that is saying something.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Lol, liked the bat sh1t crazy, they are the best, hope he comes back.
Hey at my age I have to accept every accolade I can 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I've read that story as well. I just don't put too much stock in it in terms of how it will effect the Sonos/Google integration. First off, how much persuasion Google required is purely subjective. It's entirely possible that Google didn't want to do the integration AND get sued by Sonos, figuring that was a bad combination. However, it's entirely possible they feel positive about and integration without a lawsuit.

As well, the decision to integrate was made over a year ago (or around a year ago) and much has changed since then. Google may have thought Sonos wouldn't have that big of an impact on the market, and thus not worth the integration. After seeing Sonos sales of the Sonos One and Beam, and maybe see Amazon getting further advantage they may be more eager to get involved. Afterall, it's probably a lot easier to get users to switch from Amazon to Google if they don't have to buy anything new to do it. If they think their services are superior, then perhaps they want to encourage a device that allows both seeing it as a win for them. Particularly if they implement better features with Sonos than Amazon has done.

The story that Google was forced story is kind of good PR for Google. It's not widely known, so if the integration goes well, then it can just fade away. If it doesn't go well, then they can bring more light to it and save a little face by claiming they didn't really believe in it anyway.
Unlike Apple, Google and Amazon are not selling hardware. They are selling advertising, and stuff, respectively. They want you in their ecosphere, and that's all they want. How to get you there (and keep you there) is their main goal, and putting their voice assistant on every piece of hardware possible is one effective way of achieving that goal.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
All good points, and the more integration the better for us sonos owners.
I would just say that google had the chance of completely locking a new house down with their own wifi, pixel phone, google min, home & max voice assistant speakers, both audio + visual chromecasts. They now have opened up the possibility of competition by letting sonos in.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I would just say that google had the chance of completely locking a new house down with their own wifi, pixel phone, google min, home & max voice assistant speakers, both audio + visual chromecasts. They now have opened up the possibility of competition by letting sonos in.

I see what your getting at, but as jgatie put it, Google isn't really in the hardware business, they make their money by owning the ecosystem. Would Google prefer you buy google hardware wherever applicable? Sure. However, they never would have licensed out the android OS if they wanted to hang there head on hardware sales. They are happy with customers buying other products as long as they get you into their ecosystem.

As for Sonos being competition now with Google integration, not even close. Sonos might compete with Max a bit, but that's really it. The Home and Mini are really at speaker quality levels that Sonos doesn't provide. Then add to the fact that since many Sonos products don't have built in speakers, you'll have to buy some Homes or Mini's to get it to work with Sonos. And don't forget all that money Google gets from getting you into their ecosystem, which many customers were not in before.

Competition for what? Their (mostly) crappy speakers that they are selling at a net loss?
hi guys,
sorry to disturb you're errrm healthy debate, but any idea if the following will be coming to Sonos:

'Hey Google, Play jazz in the living room'

It works well on Alexa (plan was to move my whole ecosystem to google - note 9, galaxy watch, google home - but there a couple of things that are getting in the way). For what its worth i agree the speakers are pretty bad on Alexa & Google, hence why I forked out a small fortune for Sonos premium speakers. oh and Google only want the ecosystem so they can sell your soul from the advertising 😉
Well this was timely
https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/8/29/17795872/sonos-audio-notifications-developer-program-ai
Why the hell is this taking so long Patríck? Just release the damn update and let’s move on to a better life in the land of milk and honey, where we can tell google to play our playlists!

You can do that today, via Yonomi.

It's certain to be here for the Xmas shopping season, probably October or November.

What I want is so I can say something like “Hey Google, Play Australia Top 50 from Spotify on Living Room Sonos Speaker” (Italics where replaceable with what ever service, playlist or assistant you have and Sonos Speaker name).

This is my exact requirement.

One of the nice things about Google’s setup, unlike Amazon’s, is that you can configure any device to play to any other. So, their little hockey puck could play to your LR Sonos speakers without the need to tag on “in the living room”.

One of the nice things about Google’s setup, unlike Amazon’s, is that you can configure any device to play to any other. So, their little hockey puck could play to your LR Sonos speakers without the need to tag on “in the living room”.

Assuming that functionality works with Sonos, and I don't see a reason why it wouldn't, I see that as execellent news for even Alexa users. Amazon isn't going to let a simple feature like that draw customers away from them. Competition is good for the consumer.

Sounds good - or at least it will do if they ever get round to it.
Simple question from me - when is it coming?!
Before the end of the year is what was "promised". My guess would be, assuming that everything is going/goes well in beta testing, it would be sometime in the vicinity of the holidays, for maximum impact on sales during that time period. But, if there's issues that aren't easy to resolve, I'm willing to say that it might be later. That's the problem with software development, it's easy to promise a date, and hard to get the engineers (on both sides, Sonos and Google) to be able to meet that expectation. You never know what issues you might run in to.

Assuming that functionality works with Sonos, and I don't see a reason why it wouldn't, I see that as execellent news for even Alexa users. Amazon isn't going to let a simple feature like that draw customers away from them. Competition is good for the consumer.

Was reading up on this. Looks like only devices that support ChromeCast, not just Google Home, can be targets. Sonos hasn't clearly said their speakers will be ChromeCast-enabled. So, I'm guessing that, to start, Sonos One and Beam will be able to start music on themselves via "OK, Google!" commands, but won't act as ChromeCast targets for other Google devices. No idea, really, just a guess based on Google's architecture.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I don't think that's what chicks is saying Paul. The point was that you may have to target voice commands when not speaking directly to a Beam or One, the same you currently do with Alexa.
Badge
I'm moving into a new home in a month and if they still don't have Google Assistant but end of the year I'm definitely done with Sonos. Was going to buy it for every room but will hold off until January to see if this actually comes to fruition.

To the poster above, my Sonos speakers already appear in the new Home app, and they are all but useless. All they do is have an on/off and nothing more, like a light switch or something.
I can 100% guarantee that this time spent waiting is not because Sonos and Google are working out how to combine the 2, but more that Amazon and Sonos signed an exclusivity contract of sorts, preventing Sonos from allowing an alternative interface beside Alexa from operating on the platform for a set amount of time- the strategy behind this would be that people who do not have a smart home system at their house quite yet, would be pigeon holed into purchasing Amazon Echo products.

Those are some pretty harsh accusations, for which you give no proof, and they are not at all backed up by history. Sonos has never signed an exclusivity contract with any service or corporation, in fact they go out of their way to remain service agnostic. And if they were to sign one, why would it be for a single year? Why wouldn't Amazon lock them up for life? Or 10 years? Under even the most limited of analysis, your claims are utter nonsense.
These little Insignia speakers support Google voice assistant. About the size of a Google Home, plus visible clock display, momentary temp display, and USB port for charging your phone. Perfect for nightstand.

On sale for just $20 right now. Once Sonos finally integrates Google (by Black Friday one would think!), this should act as a nice voice control for better sounding Sonos speakers.

https://www.insigniaproducts.com/pdp/NS-CSPGASP-B/5865801
I've got a dozen Sonos devices in my house and about a half dozen google home units, and I'm starting to get pretty impatient, too. In the past I've always been happy with Sonos' response time to customer feedback, but this is ridiculous. I don't think the "Amazon and Sonos had an exclusive agreement" thing is that much of a stretch, and if anything it's the only thing that would actually excuse this delay.
Have you ever partnered two differing company's code teams together? I'm stunned that they promised this by the end of 2018.
They barely made the 2017 deadline for Alexa. This isn't easy stuff. And before blame Sonos on that - every other company doing this type integration also had to release limited ability Alexa integration as well while continue work on (I guess others are still working on - we know Sonos is).

I imagine since they haven't backed down on 2018 date - we will see this year some type of limited ability beta like we have seen with Alexa.

Which could drag on for another year or more the way the Alexa Open Beta has.
It's cool. If the Google integration doesn't come by the end of the year as promised by the Best Buy / Magnolia salesperson promised when they took my $2000 for my system, I will drop all 4 of these devices off on the floor of my local Best Buy for that greeter (receipt gestapo) to deal with. Snap a quick photo proving Best Buy has taken possession of the items, and then dispute all the CC as fraud... which is what it is.

If you bought your products in the US and was given the same verbal promise, you are within your rights to do the same. We have some pretty powerful consumer protection laws in this country and not enough people are aware of them. The CC companies, most likely tired of being sued, will almost invariably side with the consumer so formal legal action is rarely necessary.

Look it up.
Userlevel 5
Badge +9
Oh geez. :8
Userlevel 3
Badge +6
Once Google and Sonos get this working, it will be pretty slick. The Home Hub mates nicely cosmetically with Sonos, hopefully the technical mating will be as seamless.

Agree. I ordered on of the new Google Home Hubs and it's a nice looking piece of equipment.