Answered

Tired Of Waiting For Google home Integration

Show first post

196 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Does the google hub show album covers from google play music.....I guess it must.....
What do you use it mostly for?
Does it sound better than the home?
Does the google hub show album covers from google play music.....I guess it must.....
What do you use it mostly for?
Does it sound better than the home?

I have it defaulted to play music on a Chromecast Audio into much higher quality speakers, wouldn’t really use this or the Home for music. The beauty is that, just like the old CR-100/200, it will control and display what’s playing on ANY device in the Google ecosystem in your home. Hopefully that will include Sonos speakers VERY SOON, Sonos...

“Hey Google, show Miles Davis albums!”

There's no mention of Google Assistant on the One or Beam product pages on the Sonos site. Not that I can see anyway. It's all about Alexa.

I don't know if Google was mentioned before, but I think so.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Nice Chicks thanks for the images.
We have only just got google home to recognise different voices of family members, and now it welcomes me by name and tells me about traffic on my communte etc, then I can choose whether is does the news or plays a tunein station etc.
I can see me getting more into the voice stuff now.
There's no mention of Google Assistant on the One or Beam product pages on the Sonos site. Not that I can see anyway. It's all about Alexa.

I don't know if Google was mentioned before, but I think so.

Sonos has stated that Google Assistant is coming to Sonos sometime this year. It makes sense that it will most likely be available by Black Friday, an enormously important sales day for all discretionary purchases.
Userlevel 2
This now feels like a classic bait and switch from sonos. I have a 3 room sonos set up (Connect, Play 3 and most recently sonos 1). I didn't want Alexa, not a big Amazon fan but am kind of hooked into Google stuff (pixel phone, Android TV, nest). So when I heard the sonos one would support both Alexa and assistant just a little down the road, I thought great and bought one early and was content to wait. However now after more than a year I honestly do feel a little cheated. I will be very surprised if we do see integration this year. If I had known the length of time this was going to take I would have very likely made different speaker choices.
1) No one ever said "just a little down the road". It was "sometime in 2018".

2) The same "bait and switch" accusations were thrown around in 2017 in regards to Alexa, when people were complaining that "sometime in 2017" was taking too long when 2017 had months to go. Those posters sure look foolish now.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Another survey from sonos today, hopefully to collect more beta testers for google assistant.🆒
Maybe he should have bought Bose, lol.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi everyone, I just posted an update to the status of Google Assistant coming to Sonos here which also links to our Blog. We'll make sure to keep you updated with any news we have to share. Thanks for your patience, and we are as excited to bring you Google Assistant as you are to get it. We're hard at work on building the integration and look forward to getting it in your hands as soon as it's ready.
Badge +12
Thanks for the update about the delay
Userlevel 3
Badge +6
Really disappointed with this news. Especially since the CEO nodded towards it happening in late 2018 just a month or so ago.

I'm glad it's still being worked on and I hope this only means that it will be worth the wait but come on guys... This is getting ridiculous. And I'm one of your biggest fans from the early, early days!!
This is extremely disappointing. Spending too much time on ridiculous Beastie Boys, colored speakers, IFTTT, broadcasting, while letting this most important feature fall by the wayside? Investors will NOT be pleased, a huge miss of the year’s most important buying period.
Userlevel 3
Badge +6
This is extremely disappointing. Spending too much time on ridiculous Beastie Boys, colored speakers, IFTTT, broadcasting, while letting this most important feature fall by the wayside? Investors will NOT be pleased, a huge miss of the year’s most important buying period.

Yea - I have to say that whenever I say things like these Beastie Boys Play 5's and the new colored Ones popping up I roll my eyes. These things are frivolous at best and almost seem to indicate that Sonos is grasping at straws trying to find a way to generate some extra sales volume. And THEN I read that they've delayed Google Assistant integration from what was already too long of a timeline and it's like throwing salt in an open wound.

I've signed up for the beta so hopefully I can help be a part of the solution instead of just standing here stomping my feet. I've got Google Assistant devices in every room that I have Sonos in (or close to it... and I'll add where it makes sense). I refuse to use Alexa as it's clearly inferior (at least for my uses) to Google Assistant.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21

While I agree with the disappointment and the likely reaction from investors, I doubt that the Sonos staff that worked on speaker colors could have been repurposed to work on the Google integration. IFTTT, broadcasting, and other tech changes, that's entirely possible. I don't know the specific skill sets involved. And of course, it could be that Google didn't devote enough resources to it, or some other unforeseen issue.

The results are the same though, doesn't really matter to customers.
Userlevel 3
Badge +6

While I agree with the disappointment and the likely reaction from investors, I doubt that the Sonos staff that worked on speaker colors could have been repurposed to work on the Google integration. IFTTT, broadcasting, and other tech changes, that's entirely possible. I don't know the specific skill sets involved. And of course, it could be that Google didn't devote enough resources to it, or some other unforeseen issue.

The results are the same though, doesn't really matter to customers.

Your last line says it all really. A subset of their customers have been waiting for this announced feature for a long time. And they just announced a delay.

It's like when someone owes you money that they supposedly don't have but then you see them eating at a restaurant. Sure they have to eat but...
Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Your last line says it all really. A subset of their customers have been waiting for this announced feature for a long time. And they just announced a delay.

It's like when someone owes you money that they supposedly don't have but then you see them eating at a restaurant. Sure they have to eat but...

It's just my opinion only, but I see that as less of a concern. The customers you're talking about already own Sonos products. Yes, many of those existing customers will hold off on purchasing new products, but not all. It is a concern, but many of those upset customers will forgive and move on once the integration arrives.

I'd be more concerned about the customers that don't have Sonos yet, but are shopping for Google Assistant speakers. These customers are no longer going to consider getting a Sonos product, and will end up Google Max or some other speaker instead. When Sonos does get the Google Asisstant available, the Christmas money will be gone and they'll have invested in a different system.
Hard to pin this on Google. There are plenty of third-party Google Assistant speakers already on the market, including the cheapo Insignia nightstand one with clock display that I picked up for $20, Make no mistake, this is a huge miss by Sonos, in a hyper competitive market, one that Sonos had almost to itself for years. This matters, bottom line. You can bet Spence isn’t happy right now.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
I wonder if he is having blackberry deja vu ;)
Asking for tester now is a bit late as well, wonder if they hit major problems late in the testing cycle and are starting testing again.
Userlevel 3
Badge +6

It's just my opinion only, but I see that as less of a concern. The customers you're talking about already own Sonos products. Yes, many of those existing customers will hold off on purchasing new products, but not all. It is a concern, but many of those upset customers will forgive and move on once the integration arrives.

I'd be more concerned about the customers that don't have Sonos yet, but are shopping for Google Assistant speakers. These customers are no longer going to consider getting a Sonos product, and will end up Google Max or some other speaker instead. When Sonos does get the Google Asisstant available, the Christmas money will be gone and they'll have invested in a different system.

Good points and I agree. But I also see this as a chink in the armour for Sonos. Anything that hurts your reputation has the potential to do some long-lasting harm.

Honestly, if I were starting from scratch I'm not 100% convinced that I'd go with Sonos right now. Back when Sonos started they were evolutionary. And back then, audio quality was king. Today most of us (me included) have settled for single portable speakers where we used to want premium quality sound. This is of course because of all the bluetooth/smart speakers floating around but it has certainly paved the way for things like the Google Home Max. I could easily plant several of those around my house and have most of what I want with my Sonos and Google Assistant integration - and for a lot less money than I've got invested in my Sonos ecosystem.

To me - this is a major setback for Sonos. They needed to hit this deadline and they didn't. Is it the end of the world? No. But it's certainly a chink in the armour and I hope for their sake that the 2019 date is somewhere in Q1. Anything outside of that and they'll find themselves in a hole that they may never dig out of. In order to get premium prices for your products you've got to deliver.

In order to get premium prices for your products you've got to deliver.

Unless you’re Bose or Apple. AirPower, anyone? 😃
I wonder if this will be discussed on the Nov 15th call?
https://www.tmcnet.com/usubmit/-sonos-announces-date-fiscal-fourth-quarter-fiscal-year-/2018/10/25/8841090.htm
New interview with Spence re Google Assistant:

https://www.pocket-lint.com/speakers/news/google/146076-interview-sonos-ceo-talks-ikea-collaboration-google-assistant-and-future-of-company
"The Alexa experience isn't as rich on the Sonos One as it is on the Amazon Echo and you miss out on a couple of features, but that's not necessarily going to be the case for Google Assistant too."

Sounds like they don't want to repeat the "perpetual open beta" experience folks got from the Alexa integration so are waiting to deliver a polished product.

Reading further from there it sounds like Sonos prefers working with Google.. does that mean the Alexa integration will never emerge from beta?
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
In 24 hours this post has not aged well lol Who's looking real foolish now?

1) No one ever said "just a little down the road". It was "sometime in 2018".

2) The same "bait and switch" accusations were thrown around in 2017 in regards to Alexa, when people were complaining that "sometime in 2017" was taking too long when 2017 had months to go. Those posters sure look foolish now.