Answered

Tired Of Waiting For Google home Integration

Show first post

193 replies

One of the nice things about Google’s setup, unlike Amazon’s, is that you can configure any device to play to any other. So, their little hockey puck could play to your LR Sonos speakers without the need to tag on “in the living room”.

Assuming that functionality works with Sonos, and I don't see a reason why it wouldn't, I see that as execellent news for even Alexa users. Amazon isn't going to let a simple feature like that draw customers away from them. Competition is good for the consumer.

Was reading up on this. Looks like only devices that support ChromeCast, not just Google Home, can be targets. Sonos hasn't clearly said their speakers will be ChromeCast-enabled. So, I'm guessing that, to start, Sonos One and Beam will be able to start music on themselves via "OK, Google!" commands, but won't act as ChromeCast targets for other Google devices. No idea, really, just a guess based on Google's architecture.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
And yet we have been able to "cast" from GPM on android to sonos as a target since 2013!!
I see your logic but this would be very frustrating if it only worked on sonos one & beam, neither of which customers who bought products more than 2 years ago would have.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I don't think that's what chicks is saying Paul. The point was that you may have to target voice commands when not speaking directly to a Beam or One, the same you currently do with Alexa.
Userlevel 3
Badge +6
I'll just chime in to say that I've been impatiently waiting for Sonos to get Google Assistant working. I've been a Sonos user (and fan) since nearly the very beginning.

I've used both Alexa and Google Home devices a fair amount and for me personally, Google Home runs circles around Alexa. So much in fact that I refuse to even enable Alexa on my Sonos One. I realize that everyone is different so Alexa may work better for some. But for me... Google Home/Assistant is the best answer.

I've seen some discussion above (I lurk more than I post) about being able to use existing Google Home devices with Sonos once the integration hits. It's been my assumption all along that this would work. If not, it will be an epic failure and let down. I've already got a well established Sonos ecosytem spread throughout my house. And since I've been here since the early days, many of these units aren't speakers and only one of my ten zones is enabled for Alexa. I've got zero interest in updating my Sonos system just so that I can use Google Assistant via the smart speakers. I'd gladly put a Home Mini in every room that I need it in for proper Sonos integration (and I already have this in place anyway).

So my default position is that we should be able to use existing Google Home/Assistant devices to interact with Sonos. Outside of that I'm sure there will be some disappointments and concessions - like not being able to group Sonos players via voice commands or only being able to control volume on the entire group or one player instead of specifying which zone you want to change or being limited in the sources of music that can be accessed via voice commands, etc. But those should come with time.

Anyway - sorry for the long rambling post but this has been an area that I've been very excited about for a while now and it's LONG overdue (regardless of when they announced it or any other factors... they are simply behind the curve here and they know it). I hope it arrives by the end of November.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Can't wait for my Sonos speakers to start appearing in the new Google Home app, or via the new Home Hub. Wishful thinking I know :D

Userlevel 3
Badge +6
Can't wait for my Sonos speakers to start appearing in the new Google Home app, or via the new Home Hub. Wishful thinking I know :D

Nice. I've been waiting on my Home app to update. I've preorderd the new Google Home Hub just for this purpose. I've got smart switches and/or lights all throughout my house as well as smart thermostats and I'm currently using a dedicated tablet along with ActionTiles as a dashboard/remote system.

The Google Home Hub along with this update for better home control could/SHOULD be a great solution! Not sure why it's taken someone so long to do this.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Oh thanks for posting that, I have also been waiting along time for google home app to be more integrated and easy to setup/change.
Might think about a home hub around black Friday when google usually do deals to compete with amazon. Would be great if sonos was ready then as well.....
Outside of that I'm sure there will be some disappointments and concessions - like not being able to group Sonos players via voice commands or only being able to control volume on the entire group or one player instead of specifying which zone you want to change or being limited in the sources of music that can be accessed via voice commands, etc. But those should come with time.

As someone who impatiently waited for Echo integration, faced disappointments, has a "well established Sonos ecosystem," and is looking to switch from Echo to Home, I'll tell you what issue is worse than the disappointments:

Ducking.

With the Sonos skill, asking Alexa anything causes all Sonos devices in the house to go quiet while she listens. If I say "Alexa" near the Echo Dot in my kitchen, my wife watching TV in another part of the house using a Playbar gets interrupted. If my son is studying up in his room with mellow music in the background, he gets interrupted.

This is a total deal-breaker and not simply a disappointment. I have faith Home won't have the issue. Hopefully. Fingers crossed.
Userlevel 3
Badge +6
Outside of that I'm sure there will be some disappointments and concessions - like not being able to group Sonos players via voice commands or only being able to control volume on the entire group or one player instead of specifying which zone you want to change or being limited in the sources of music that can be accessed via voice commands, etc. But those should come with time.

As someone who impatiently waited for Echo integration, faced disappointments, has a "well established Sonos ecosystem," and is looking to switch from Echo to Home, I'll tell you what issue is worse than the disappointments:

Ducking.

With the Sonos skill, asking Alexa anything causes all Sonos devices in the house to go quiet while she listens. If I say "Alexa" near the Echo Dot in my kitchen, my wife watching TV in another part of the house using a Playbar gets interrupted. If my son is studying up in his room with mellow music in the background, he gets interrupted.

This is a total deal-breaker and not simply a disappointment. I have faith Home won't have the issue. Hopefully. Fingers crossed.

Oh wow... Yeah, that's pretty bad and certainly a near deal breaker at best!
I can 100% guarantee that this time spent waiting is not because Sonos and Google are working out how to combine the 2, but more that Amazon and Sonos signed an exclusivity contract of sorts, preventing Sonos from allowing an alternative interface beside Alexa from operating on the platform for a set amount of time- the strategy behind this would be that people who do not have a smart home system at their house quite yet, would be pigeon holed into purchasing Amazon Echo products.

It would be a pretty good strategy on Amazon's part because if you are looking for a whole-home audio system, Sonos is really the only contender here, until only recently, the Apple Homepod, and Alexa is the only interface- so people start purchasing Echo products thus cementing what their smart home platform is moving forward.

There's no way that all of this time we have been waiting, it's been because of the engineering of Google Assistant integration into Sonos- in this span of time, Sonos has released 3 new products, meanwhile, every digital/gadgets conference, there has been anything and everything, from microwaves to cars that have "smart" features integrated into them.

And Alexa is FAR inferior to Google assistant. From playing music, to other commands, it's actaully quite frustrating because Sonos is a great product, but the fact that their willing to leverage their customer base for some exclusivity contract with Amazon is bold imho... Also, I thought the build quality of the Sonos 1 is a more well thought out design/quality over the Sonos ONE. Really the only thing stopping me from selling all of my Sonos products is the speaker bar, but the minute Apple comes out with an equal, its sayonara Sonos.
I can 100% guarantee that this time spent waiting is not because Sonos and Google are working out how to combine the 2, but more that Amazon and Sonos signed an exclusivity contract of sorts, preventing Sonos from allowing an alternative interface beside Alexa from operating on the platform for a set amount of time- the strategy behind this would be that people who do not have a smart home system at their house quite yet, would be pigeon holed into purchasing Amazon Echo products.

It would be a pretty good strategy on Amazon's part because if you are looking for a whole-home audio system, Sonos is really the only contender here, until only recently, the Apple Homepod, and Alexa is the only interface- so people start purchasing Echo products thus cementing what their smart home platform is moving forward.

There's no way that all of this time we have been waiting, it's been because of the engineering of Google Assistant integration into Sonos- in this span of time, Sonos has released 3 new products, meanwhile, every digital/gadgets conference, there has been anything and everything, from microwaves to cars that have "smart" features integrated into them.

And Alexa is FAR inferior to Google assistant. From playing music, to other commands, it's actaully quite frustrating because Sonos is a great product, but the fact that their willing to leverage their customer base for some exclusivity contract with Amazon is bold imho... Also, I thought the build quality of the Sonos 1 is a more well thought out design/quality over the Sonos ONE. Really the only thing stopping me from selling all of my Sonos products is the speaker bar, but the minute Apple comes out with an equal, its sayonara Sonos.

Lol.
Badge
I'm moving into a new home in a month and if they still don't have Google Assistant but end of the year I'm definitely done with Sonos. Was going to buy it for every room but will hold off until January to see if this actually comes to fruition.

To the poster above, my Sonos speakers already appear in the new Home app, and they are all but useless. All they do is have an on/off and nothing more, like a light switch or something.

Those are some pretty harsh accusations, for which you give no proof, and they are not at all backed up by history. Sonos has never signed an exclusivity contract with any service or corporation, in fact they go out of their way to remain service agnostic. And if they were to sign one, why would it be for a single year? Why wouldn't Amazon lock them up for life? Or 10 years? Under even the most limited of analysis, your claims are utter nonsense.
These little Insignia speakers support Google voice assistant. About the size of a Google Home, plus visible clock display, momentary temp display, and USB port for charging your phone. Perfect for nightstand.

On sale for just $20 right now. Once Sonos finally integrates Google (by Black Friday one would think!), this should act as a nice voice control for better sounding Sonos speakers.

https://www.insigniaproducts.com/pdp/NS-CSPGASP-B/5865801
I've got a dozen Sonos devices in my house and about a half dozen google home units, and I'm starting to get pretty impatient, too. In the past I've always been happy with Sonos' response time to customer feedback, but this is ridiculous. I don't think the "Amazon and Sonos had an exclusive agreement" thing is that much of a stretch, and if anything it's the only thing that would actually excuse this delay.
Have you ever partnered two differing company's code teams together? I'm stunned that they promised this by the end of 2018.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
They barely made the 2017 deadline for Alexa. This isn't easy stuff. And before blame Sonos on that - every other company doing this type integration also had to release limited ability Alexa integration as well while continue work on (I guess others are still working on - we know Sonos is).

I imagine since they haven't backed down on 2018 date - we will see this year some type of limited ability beta like we have seen with Alexa.
Badge
I just think it's that:
https://www.technewsworld.com/story/85561.html

New APIs, they were too short with what they had before. Controling audio in different rooms, different volumes, different sources isn't that easy to do. You need proper APIs that are well implemented.
Sonos just added IFTTT...as least you can now say "Ok google, turn off the music" when you leave home.

I'm confident they will come up with something good by the end of the year.
Then yes, we've been waiting for too long and Sonos is pretty lucky they have good installed based and the competition is not close.
Once Google and Sonos get this working, it will be pretty slick. The Home Hub mates nicely cosmetically with Sonos, hopefully the technical mating will be as seamless.

They barely made the 2017 deadline for Alexa. This isn't easy stuff. And before blame Sonos on that - every other company doing this type integration also had to release limited ability Alexa integration as well while continue work on (I guess others are still working on - we know Sonos is).

I imagine since they haven't backed down on 2018 date - we will see this year some type of limited ability beta like we have seen with Alexa.

Which could drag on for another year or more the way the Alexa Open Beta has.
I don't trust Sonos for anything now. They marketed this device as 'going to support Google Assistant' to sell units last Christmas. It was a selling point to be the only device that supports both. They fooled people (including me) into buying it for that reason alone. A year later they're back at the same strategy of using Google Assistant integration to sell more Sonos One devices. I don't care what's holding this up, they clearly mislead the public.

Not buying anything from them based on their speculation again.
Is it 2019 yet?
It's cool. If the Google integration doesn't come by the end of the year as promised by the Best Buy / Magnolia salesperson promised when they took my $2000 for my system, I will drop all 4 of these devices off on the floor of my local Best Buy for that greeter (receipt gestapo) to deal with. Snap a quick photo proving Best Buy has taken possession of the items, and then dispute all the CC as fraud... which is what it is.

If you bought your products in the US and was given the same verbal promise, you are within your rights to do the same. We have some pretty powerful consumer protection laws in this country and not enough people are aware of them. The CC companies, most likely tired of being sued, will almost invariably side with the consumer so formal legal action is rarely necessary.

Look it up.
Userlevel 5
Badge +9
Oh geez. :8
Userlevel 3
Badge +6
Once Google and Sonos get this working, it will be pretty slick. The Home Hub mates nicely cosmetically with Sonos, hopefully the technical mating will be as seamless.

Agree. I ordered on of the new Google Home Hubs and it's a nice looking piece of equipment.

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings