Answered

Tired Of Waiting For Google home Integration

Show first post

193 replies

I totally agree. I think Sonos made a really bad call partnering with Alexa. I have both Alexa and and the Google home, and Alexa is total crap compared to Google. Alexa is a huge pain in the ass to setup, does not integrate as well with other smart devices. Alexa does not work as well with spotify, usless in my opinion. I ask Alexa to play some 80s music on spotify "I can't do that yet" Google " No problem here is a 80s playlist on Spotify". I can go on and on but it frustrates me that I want to expand my google devices and my whole house is sonos, and the only way to voice control Sonos is with Alexa and it's trash. I hope Sonos realizes that they will lose existing/future customers to the google speakers if they don't react fast enough on this integration. If Google releases a sub and a playbar game over.:@
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Well from what i've read google, only gave permission to join assistant after sonos threatened a patent lawsuit. So I wouldn't expect google to bend over to meet any sonos deadlines.
Sonos also has to get alexa and google assistant to play nicely together, and keep them playing nicely together, quite a task.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
The decision to implement Alexa first was made well over a year ago, at a time when Alexa was clearly in more homes than Google was (still is, though Google is catching up). It also seems pretty clear that Alexa was a more willing partner. Then you have to figure that Amazon has a store front that sells a lot Sonos products. There are a lot of other reasons other than just "which one works better" that surely played into the decision.

As far as it being too late, I don't think. As you pointed out, there are plenty of smart speakers out there right now, covering all sorts of price points and quality levels. What is still very much in infant stages is the integrations with TV audio, multirooom, and voice control.

I keep seeing articles where Sonos execs say that they made a mistake and got into voice control too late. Maybe, but they seem to be ahead of much of the competition still, and breaking ground in integratate voice in other areas.
Paulw123 wrote:

Well from what i've read google, only gave permission to join assistant after sonos threatened a patent lawsuit. So I wouldn't expect google to bend over to meet any sonos deadlines.
Sonos also has to get alexa and google assistant to play nicely together, and keep them playing nicely together, quite a task.

Tell me, have any of your tin-foil hat conspiracy theories about Sonos ever come true?
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
So are you saying there was no, warning of a sonos patent threat to google?
I prefer the "voice of reason" label I was awarded 😛
Paulw123 wrote:

So are you saying there was no, warning of a sonos patent threat to google?
I prefer the "voice of reason" label I was awarded :P

Just remember the poster who awarded you that moniker was one of the most bat sh*t crazy posters we have had on here, and that is saying something.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Lol, liked the bat sh1t crazy, they are the best, hope he comes back.
Hey at my age I have to accept every accolade I can 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I've read that story as well. I just don't put too much stock in it in terms of how it will effect the Sonos/Google integration. First off, how much persuasion Google required is purely subjective. It's entirely possible that Google didn't want to do the integration AND get sued by Sonos, figuring that was a bad combination. However, it's entirely possible they feel positive about and integration without a lawsuit.

As well, the decision to integrate was made over a year ago (or around a year ago) and much has changed since then. Google may have thought Sonos wouldn't have that big of an impact on the market, and thus not worth the integration. After seeing Sonos sales of the Sonos One and Beam, and maybe see Amazon getting further advantage they may be more eager to get involved. Afterall, it's probably a lot easier to get users to switch from Amazon to Google if they don't have to buy anything new to do it. If they think their services are superior, then perhaps they want to encourage a device that allows both seeing it as a win for them. Particularly if they implement better features with Sonos than Amazon has done.

The story that Google was forced story is kind of good PR for Google. It's not widely known, so if the integration goes well, then it can just fade away. If it doesn't go well, then they can bring more light to it and save a little face by claiming they didn't really believe in it anyway.
Unlike Apple, Google and Amazon are not selling hardware. They are selling advertising, and stuff, respectively. They want you in their ecosphere, and that's all they want. How to get you there (and keep you there) is their main goal, and putting their voice assistant on every piece of hardware possible is one effective way of achieving that goal.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
All good points, and the more integration the better for us sonos owners.
I would just say that google had the chance of completely locking a new house down with their own wifi, pixel phone, google min, home & max voice assistant speakers, both audio + visual chromecasts. They now have opened up the possibility of competition by letting sonos in.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Paulw123 wrote:

I would just say that google had the chance of completely locking a new house down with their own wifi, pixel phone, google min, home & max voice assistant speakers, both audio + visual chromecasts. They now have opened up the possibility of competition by letting sonos in.

I see what your getting at, but as jgatie put it, Google isn't really in the hardware business, they make their money by owning the ecosystem. Would Google prefer you buy google hardware wherever applicable? Sure. However, they never would have licensed out the android OS if they wanted to hang there head on hardware sales. They are happy with customers buying other products as long as they get you into their ecosystem.

As for Sonos being competition now with Google integration, not even close. Sonos might compete with Max a bit, but that's really it. The Home and Mini are really at speaker quality levels that Sonos doesn't provide. Then add to the fact that since many Sonos products don't have built in speakers, you'll have to buy some Homes or Mini's to get it to work with Sonos. And don't forget all that money Google gets from getting you into their ecosystem, which many customers were not in before.
Paulw123 wrote:

Competition for what? Their (mostly) crappy speakers that they are selling at a net loss?
hi guys,
sorry to disturb you're errrm healthy debate, but any idea if the following will be coming to Sonos:

'Hey Google, Play jazz in the living room'

It works well on Alexa (plan was to move my whole ecosystem to google - note 9, galaxy watch, google home - but there a couple of things that are getting in the way). For what its worth i agree the speakers are pretty bad on Alexa & Google, hence why I forked out a small fortune for Sonos premium speakers. oh and Google only want the ecosystem so they can sell your soul from the advertising 😉
Well this was timely
https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/8/29/17795872/sonos-audio-notifications-developer-program-ai
Why the hell is this taking so long Patríck? Just release the damn update and let’s move on to a better life in the land of milk and honey, where we can tell google to play our playlists!
Sonos and Google Home User wrote:

Why the hell is this taking so long Patríck? Just release the damn update and let’s move on to a better life in the land of milk and honey, where we can tell google to play our playlists!

You can do that today, via Yonomi.

It's certain to be here for the Xmas shopping season, probably October or November.
Personally, I don’t need Sonos speakers to have built in assistants (like the Sonos one (Alexa built-in)), but, what I need is for Sonos speakers to be able to be control by external smart speakers (like Google Assistant smart speakers (Home Mini, Home and Home Max)) as I have Google Home Minis through out my house, and I have Play:3s as well.

What I want is so I can say something like “Hey Google, Play Australia Top 50 from Spotify on Living Room Sonos Speaker” (Italics where replaceable with what ever service, playlist or assistant you have and Sonos Speaker name).

If I have built-in assistants into the speaker, it would be great, but I don’t want to have to buy a separate speaker just for the built-in assistant functionality, as I have plenty of speakers right now.

Who else wants an update to include support for this kind of thing?
Mason. wrote:

What I want is so I can say something like “Hey Google, Play Australia Top 50 from Spotify on Living Room Sonos Speaker” (Italics where replaceable with what ever service, playlist or assistant you have and Sonos Speaker name).

This is my exact requirement.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
@Mason, @SteelerSE, I would be very surprise if your requirement isn't included in the Google integration. This feature is definitely a part of the Alexa integration, and it's not hard to see how both Google and Sonos customers would be very disappointed without it. As well, assuming the tech works generally the same way the Alexa integration does, it doesn't really add much development work to include it.
SteelerSE wrote:

Mason. wrote:

This is my exact requirement.

One of the nice things about Google’s setup, unlike Amazon’s, is that you can configure any device to play to any other. So, their little hockey puck could play to your LR Sonos speakers without the need to tag on “in the living room”.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
chicks wrote:

One of the nice things about Google’s setup, unlike Amazon’s, is that you can configure any device to play to any other. So, their little hockey puck could play to your LR Sonos speakers without the need to tag on “in the living room”.

Assuming that functionality works with Sonos, and I don't see a reason why it wouldn't, I see that as execellent news for even Alexa users. Amazon isn't going to let a simple feature like that draw customers away from them. Competition is good for the consumer.
melvimbe wrote:

chicks wrote:

Assuming that functionality works with Sonos, and I don't see a reason why it wouldn't, I see that as execellent news for even Alexa users. Amazon isn't going to let a simple feature like that draw customers away from them. Competition is good for the consumer.

Sounds good - or at least it will do if they ever get round to it.
Simple question from me - when is it coming?!
Before the end of the year is what was "promised". My guess would be, assuming that everything is going/goes well in beta testing, it would be sometime in the vicinity of the holidays, for maximum impact on sales during that time period. But, if there's issues that aren't easy to resolve, I'm willing to say that it might be later. That's the problem with software development, it's easy to promise a date, and hard to get the engineers (on both sides, Sonos and Google) to be able to meet that expectation. You never know what issues you might run in to.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I would think they would want it released before Black Friday at end of November.

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings