Answered

Tired Of Waiting For Google home Integration

Show first post

196 replies

Badge
I've given in for now & swapped 2 of my Sonos 1s for these
https://www.hughes.co.uk/product/audio/hifi-and-speakers/multiroom-audio/onkyo/vcgx30w

They sound superb & seamless Google Assistant built in. Bargain at the moment

All they need is a better looking design. I do like the Airplay feature.
How did you find this? I don't recall seeing any marketing hype around this product at all.
I've given in for now & swapped 2 of my Sonos 1s for these
https://www.hughes.co.uk/product/audio/hifi-and-speakers/multiroom-audio/onkyo/vcgx30w

They sound superb & seamless Google Assistant built in. Bargain at the moment
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Total agree! Where can we sign up for beta? I have 10 sonos speakers and love google assistant.

https://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/4667021/Google-Assistant-Recruitment
I too find the time taken to get the integration with GA really annoying. As a short term work around I am using IFTTT to play a playlist, start, stop and control volume. I'd still like the ability for it to play in several rooms though.. Total agree! Where can we sign up for beta? I have 10 sonos speakers and love google assistant.
I too find the time taken to get the integration with GA really annoying. As a short term work around I am using IFTTT to play a playlist, start, stop and control volume. I'd still like the ability for it to play in several rooms though.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Have a look at this, google home working with sonos via IFTTT. Something to try for free:-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20lFWrBi6Qc
Well I signed up for the beta...but well'll see if I get accept into it. To be honest, I have plenty of echo dots that work flawlessly with Sonos. They also have superior microphones and saying "Alexa" is much more natural to me than "hey Google." Still, I'd like my new Google Hub to work with Sonos since music and lighting control are the only things I use these assistants for.
Badge
WHERE IS THIS INTEGRATION?
Seriously your CEO hinted at it back in August! Where is it? I don't want to use Alexa. THE USP of Sonos is that it works with many platforms. I don't want to be tied in with Alexa, I want to be able to choose my virtual assistant.
So after reading the blog post, it looks like google assistant in time the the holiday season has turned to early 2019...bah.
there is a workaround with Google home. Download the Yonomi app (also a home controller but it works with Sonos) and set up a routine (e.g. "play Sonos"). Add Yonomi as a device in the 'home control' . Ask Google Home to activate ("Yonomi routine name"). Bit of a faff but it works!
All of these comments aside, and the frustration of not having Google home integration available, you can't take away from the fact that the products are excellent, and the service and support of Sonos, the company, outstanding. Okay, everything isn't available... now. But it will be. I have had Sonos for close to 10 years and have it installed in three different locations. I'm not about to let a small setback like Google home integration diminish my enjoyment of excellent products. I'm just using Alexa for my two Sonos Ones until Google becomes available. And I wouldn't describe myself as patient!

Glad to hear your shares in Sonos are still providing great dividends! However for the average Joe Smoe like me who invested in a promise from Sonos that they have not produced, (and please no-one quote any end of 2018 at me, as it is an ongoing stalling tactic, that much now seems obvious and frankly I was hoping to buy more compatible Google devices in Black Friday sales to compliment my 4 Sonos One's.) it is nothing short of immoral and frankly approaching mis-selling and false advertising of the first degree. If a tech company sells tech on the basis of it having a specific feature, in a specific time frame and they don't produce the goods then frankly that is at the least a huge breach of trust. Analogies about Turkeys or speculation on what time of year they alluded or didn't allude to aside, the undeniable truth is that they have either mislead, or promised functionality out of their capabilities to deliver in the time frame they themselves stated, and in doing so have taken advantage of both loyal and new customers with unfulfilled promises, Sonos should be hanging their heads in shame!!!

No need for the cheap shot about shares in Sonos. I realise that you are frustrated. Best wishes, Gary
Google integration should've been done.

Even WAPO gives it to Sonos on this point......

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2018/11/21/i-live-with-alexa-google-assistant-siri-heres-which-you-should-pick/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.c8d5580d02ca
In case you did not see this yet: https://blog.sonos.com/en/google-assistant-update/ - they are getting ready 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Where as this poster has "allegedly" done something with someone's sister.....;)
At least the tin hat stuff has died a death.
We need more humour in here 😳.........hopefully having a laugh wouldn't get you blacklisted....do you think a blacklist exists?..maybe I am on it as I keep applying, do every survey......... but nothing....

You think it might get us blacklisted for the beta ? ??

The poster I quoted has a long history of firing out absurd conspiracy theories, even after they have been repeatedly debunked.
Badge

Please add your own:-

Please don't! :8
You think it might get us blacklisted for the beta ? ??

Please don't! :8
Badge
That news is 14days old!!
Here's some of my better conspiracy theories:-
Maybe it is google dragging their feet, costing sonos sale over black Friday & xmas.
Maybe they didn't like the threat of a denon like court case and are playing a long game.
Maybe sonos made the wrong staff redundant and are short of good engineers.

Haha, I'm in favor of Google not really being into the "shared space with Alexa"
Badge

This I can kind of agree with. I wouldn't use that language, but when a company does not deliver a feature when they said they would, a customer can't assume they will deliver the next feature on time either. This is one of the reasons why Sonos rarely gives out release dates for features or products until most of the risk has bee eliminated.,,, much to the frustration of a lot of customers.

Personally, regardless of company track record, I wouldn't buy any product for the features it's going to have instead of the features it has now. Why not just wait until it is the product you want?

I think it comes down to how the advertising for the feature to come is done. In this case, I specifically remember Sonos advertising this Google assistant alongside Alexa feature as a big selling point, which would be coming in 2018 (which was close, at the end of 2017).
As for choosing, when I wanted to buy a speaker I had to choose between smart speakers ? I couldn't just wait without music till Sonos decided to give us GA !
I chose the Sonos One instead of other Alexa or Google assistant enabled devices because I wanted to be able to check out both, see which one is better and then use the best one. And if the best one would be to change with functionalities added later (like what Google is doing with it's assistant), to be able to change from time to time !
Also, I use Google play music for my family, which is great, but not on Alexa ?

So I just think because of the way they sold it to us, and the way they don't seem apologetic and don't even advertise it (GA coming soon) anymore like before, makes it like they sold us something that's not of importance to them. And therefore kinda ripped us off.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
That news is 14days old!!
Here's some of my better conspiracy theories:-
Maybe it is google dragging their feet, costing sonos sale over black Friday & xmas.
Maybe they didn't like the threat of a denon like court case and are playing a long game.
Maybe sonos made the wrong staff redundant and are short of good engineers.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Glad to hear your shares in Sonos are still providing great dividends!

In the short history that Sonos has been a public company, they have never released any dividends. I'd be surprised if dividends happen for years to come.

However for the average Joe Smoe like me who invested in a promise from Sonos that they have not produced, (and please no-one quote any end of 2018 at me, as it is an ongoing stalling tactic, that much now seems obvious and frankly I was hoping to buy more compatible Google devices in Black Friday sales to compliment my 4 Sonos One's.) it is nothing short of immoral and frankly approaching mis-selling and false advertising of the first degree.

Nothing's stopping you from buying more Google devices. And disappointment and frustration is quite understandable, but I don't see any basis for an acquisition of immorality. With that line of thinking, a company could never provide any sort of release date, whether exact, estimate, or planned, since they would be opening themselves up to lawsuit if they missed the date for whatever reason.

If a tech company sells tech on the basis of it having a specific feature, in a specific time frame and they don't produce the goods then frankly that is at the least a huge breach of trust.

This I can kind of agree with. I wouldn't use that language, but when a company does not deliver a feature when they said they would, a customer can't assume they will deliver the next feature on time either. This is one of the reasons why Sonos rarely gives out release dates for features or products until most of the risk has bee eliminated.,,, much to the frustration of a lot of customers.

Personally, regardless of company track record, I wouldn't buy any product for the features it's going to have instead of the features it has now. Why not just wait until it is the product you want?

Analogies about Turkeys or speculation on what time of year they alluded or didn't allude to aside, the undeniable truth is that they have either mislead, or promised functionality out of their capabilities to deliver in the time frame they themselves stated, and in doing so have taken advantage of both loyal and new customers with unfulfilled promises, Sonos should be hanging their heads in shame!!!

I suppose you can believe whatever you want about why there is a delay or what Sonos intentions were by announcing a 2018 release. I see no reason to believe there was any intention to take advantage of customers.
Badge
https://blog.sonos.com/en/google-assistant-update/
Well, now, plainly, they false advertised their product at launch as they definitively said 2018. Can we get a partial refund for the lie ?

Well hear we go guys for anyone that anyone that hasn't seen it yet, the news we didnt want but were expecting!

How do I go about getting a refund Sonos?

Totally agree ?
Well hear we go guys for anyone that anyone that hasn't seen it yet, the news we didnt want but were expecting!

How do I go about getting a refund Sonos?
Badge
[the undeniable truth is that they have either mislead, or promised functionality out of their capabilities to deliver in the time frame they themselves stated
I agree they should be more sorry than they seem about their obvious mistake. Or perhaps they really just wanted to mislead us, customers.
All of these comments aside, and the frustration of not having Google home integration available, you can't take away from the fact that the products are excellent, and the service and support of Sonos, the company, outstanding. Okay, everything isn't available... now. But it will be. I have had Sonos for close to 10 years and have it installed in three different locations. I'm not about to let a small setback like Google home integration diminish my enjoyment of excellent products. I'm just using Alexa for my two Sonos Ones until Google becomes available. And I wouldn't describe myself as patient!

Glad to hear your shares in Sonos are still providing great dividends! However for the average Joe Smoe like me who invested in a promise from Sonos that they have not produced, (and please no-one quote any end of 2018 at me, as it is an ongoing stalling tactic, that much now seems obvious and frankly I was hoping to buy more compatible Google devices in Black Friday sales to compliment my 4 Sonos One's.) it is nothing short of immoral and frankly approaching mis-selling and false advertising of the first degree. If a tech company sells tech on the basis of it having a specific feature, in a specific time frame and they don't produce the goods then frankly that is at the least a huge breach of trust. Analogies about Turkeys or speculation on what time of year they alluded or didn't allude to aside, the undeniable truth is that they have either mislead, or promised functionality out of their capabilities to deliver in the time frame they themselves stated, and in doing so have taken advantage of both loyal and new customers with unfulfilled promises, Sonos should be hanging their heads in shame!!!