Answered

Tired Of Waiting For Google home Integration

Show first post

193 replies

Sonos announced that Google Assistant support would be coming in 2018. They announced it in October last year that they were working on - so your actually completely wrong (it has been 6 months). Note it did take a year from announcement of Alexa support in Fall of 2016 to release in Fall 2017. These things just as much involve Amazon/Google timelines as Sonos.

Yea but Google Home was announced May 2016 and released Nov 2016, with supported products from Nest, Philips Hue and others. That's why to users it seems to be taking forever. Here we are, 1.5 years after Google Home release and still no support.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Home
Badge
I can imagine the port to Google Home would be daunting for Sonos because the chipsets, firmware and inbuilt software all has to be enhanced so that it works across so many devices. Doing this sort of upgrade on older hardware would be a huge task. At the same time Sonos is creating new products, enhancing their app and existing products among all the rest of the stuff going on.

Bit of patience required I guess but in the meantime I have my Google Home working with Chromecast to my Sonos system and it works perfectly.

I am looking forward to the Beam arriving next month (preordered today) for the bedroom TV.....should be an excellent addition and it will 100% get the Google Home upgrade when it arrives as well.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Alexa and google both came out years ago. Has nothing to do with Sonos implementation. Unless I’m mistaken sonosnnecer said they were working on google home integration until last year. With Alexa announced October prior.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
The ridiculous part is that Airplay 2 was released one month ago, yet it is going to be supported next month. Google Home, as stated by thienedits was released 1.5 years ago and they didn't even care enough to announce a a date except 2018. At least we see where Sonos focus lies, I'll keep that in mind when I buy speakers in the future.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
The ridiculous part is that Airplay 2 was released one month ago, yet it is going to be supported next month. Google Home, as stated by thienedits was released 1.5 years ago and they didn't even care enough to announce a a date except 2018. At least we see where Sonos focus lies, I'll keep that in mind when I buy speakers in the future.

Implimentimg airplay2 is a mich easier integration than google home. First off, airplay 2 is a one way integration, just receiving an audio stream. Google is 2-way, with all sorts of cammands going back and forth.

Airplay 2 has been in development by both Apple and Sonos for way more than this past month. It'snot as if sonos suddenly dropped google development and put all developers on airplay work right when airplay was released. At the same time, you don't really know how Google is prioritizing it's part of the integration with Sonos.

And why single out airlay 2? Why are you not similarly bothered that sonso created a new product while it could have devoted those resources to Google inregration.

Last, is there another smart speaker company that will have Google integration before Sonos? I could be wrong, but i'm not aware of it.

As far as annoucijg a date, that she reonforce that it's complex, and they don't want to give a firm date only to end up missing it...like Apple did with the homepod. It shouldn't be taken to mean that Sonos doesn't care.

I get the frustration abouting having to wait, but that doesn't change facts about why google home integration isn't here already.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Implimentimg airplay2 is a mich easier integration than google home. First off, airplay 2 is a one way integration, just receiving an audio stream. Google is 2-way, with all sorts of cammands going back and forth.

Airplay 2 has been in development by both Apple and Sonos for way more than this past month. It'snot as if sonos suddenly dropped google development and put all developers on airplay work right when airplay was released. At the same time, you don't really know how Google is prioritizing it's part of the integration with Sonos.

And why single out airlay 2? Why are you not similarly bothered that sonso created a new product while it could have devoted those resources to Google inregration.

Last, is there another smart speaker company that will have Google integration before Sonos? I could be wrong, but i'm not aware of it.

As far as annoucijg a date, that she reonforce that it's complex, and they don't want to give a firm date only to end up missing it...like Apple did with the homepod. It shouldn't be taken to mean that Sonos doesn't care.

I get the frustration abouting having to wait, but that doesn't change facts about why google home integration isn't here already.

Well, there are two different points on Google integration. There is the one way integration (using Google Home/any Android phone) to just give inputs to all of Sonos speakers. Then there is also the two way integration you mentioned, only available on the Sonos One. The one way integration should be quite similar to Airplay 2. The only reason I could understand for it taking that long is that they want to release the two way integration straight away and not release it only afterwards.

About the Sonos Beam. Well, Sonos is a hardware company. It won't make any money by creating software. So they need to also focus on releasing new products. Airplay 2 and Google integration are both software related task, it feels like the one is being prioritized.

There are quite a few companies with GH integration: JBL, Sony, Panasonic, LG,... (https://assistant.google.com/platforms/speakers/), but I admit that none of them are playing in the same league as Sonos is. The only real competitor I see for the Play:5 is the Google Home Max, although still not as good (slightly cheaper and with microphones, so the price to value ratio is quite similar IMO).

But you are right saying that there is no competitor to the One right now, all the 3rd party speakers lack functionality and I trust none of these brands to deliver a long-living product.

What I am saying is that I am currently invested in Sonos and (assuming the GH integration will come this year) that is not going to change. But if I were to buy new speakers today, I would probably go for Google Home and Max.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Good list. I had seen some of those before but forgotten it.

I would add though that even i terms of one way integration, airplay 2 and google are noy that similar. Airplay 2 streams theough your phone. Take the phone off the network and the stream dies. Google integration is cloud based. Your voice command goes to the google cloud, then to Sonos cloud, back to yours sonos system where ut streams the audio directly.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
Good list. I had seen some of those before but forgotten it.

I would add though that even i terms of one way integration, airplay 2 and google are noy that similar. Airplay 2 streams theough your phone. Take the phone off the network and the stream dies. Google integration is cloud based. Your voice command goes to the google cloud, then to Sonos cloud, back to yours sonos system where ut streams the audio directly.

I honestly was not aware of this. I own no Apple products so I just assumed that Airplay 2 would work the same way as Google Assistant/Alexa does. In that case I am sorry for my ignorance. This could indeed change the complexity of the integration (I am not familiar with either of those APIs so it is hard to say from my point of view.)
Userlevel 1
Badge
I note lots of ideas for connecting Google Home via line-in etc. However, for those of us with a Playbar (which is not a cheap bit of kit) there is no solution out there that I can see.

It's as though Sonos has conveniently forgotten about those of us that have invested in this particular product. It certainly doesn't inspire me to buy other Sonos products if I'm being completely honest.
In my opinion, I would say that Sonos hasn’t forgotten anything, conveniently or not, and continues to work on the effort to meet their promise of integrating with Google Home within their stated deadline, which was “in 2018” as I recall. As frustrating as that is, I’ve not seen Sonos miss a promise that was made previously.
Userlevel 1
Badge
My understanding from statements I have read from Sonos is that unfortunately there is no option to integrate either Alexa or Google Home for owners of the Playbar hence my comments.
My understanding from statements I have read from Sonos is that unfortunately there is no option to integrate either Alexa or Google Home for owners of the Playbar hence my comments.

I can ask Alexa to start anything from Pandora, TuneIn, Amazon Music, etc on my Playbar, no problem. Not sure what you mean. Just need an Echo Dot...
Userlevel 1
Badge
I was more interested in the Google Home devices as I think Google has a much better grasp of other services/knowledge.

I don't think any of these so call smart devices currently have the ability to search a NAS to play your own music tracks. This for me would be the perfect Smart Device as I've no use for a paid for music service.

I don't think any of these so call smart devices currently have the ability to search a NAS to play your own music tracks. This for me would be the perfect Smart Device as I've no use for a paid for music service.

https://www.mymediaalexa.com/
Userlevel 1
Badge
Is that for a playlist you create on the Sonos app first or can Alexa search your NAS music folder. It's the latter which is my real interest as I have thousands of music tracks and want to be able to say e.g. hey Alexa play 'Brown Sugar.
Userlevel 6
Badge +19
I won't be buying another Sonos product until they integrate with Google home. This is silicon valley most products support Google home and Alexa more than 50% even work with airplay.. these delays have gotten out of hand and there is no reason for the delays. I have already started looking into alternatives and once I start selling off my Sonos products I won't be looking back. I hope the integration comes soon because my patients are running out ( I have 2500$ invested! So hard to walk away but worth it if they don't value my future business, 2 more rooms left to go.)

My spidy senses smell a troll
Userlevel 1
Badge
I'm simply exploring what my options are for the Playbar. I'm not really interested in compiling my own playlist in the Sonos app then getting Alexa to play it. That's not what I call real functionality. I may as well simply play the music directly from the Sonos App.

As said in my previous post I want something like Alexa or Google Home to search my NAS music folder for individual tracks. Why subscribe to a music service when I have all the music I want on my own NAS. It's a valid question.
Is that for a playlist you create on the Sonos app first or can Alexa search your NAS music folder. It's the latter which is my real interest as I have thousands of music tracks and want to be able to say e.g. hey Alexa play 'Brown Sugar.

Can you not read, or at least play their video?! Or are you just here to whine?

What incentive do you honestly think Amazon and Google have to let you use their free voice services merely to play your local library, when they offer subscription music services? Are you 13?
Userlevel 1
Badge

Can you not read, or at least play their video?! Or are you just here to whine?

What incentive do you honestly think Amazon and Google have to let you use their free voice services merely to play your local library, when they offer subscription music services? Are you 13?

Thank you for your considered response chicks, much appreciated. I think you have missed your calling, the diplomatic service is much the poorer without you.

For your information I am actually a senior citizen.

BTW I have watched the video - I did say play from my NAS (Synology) not a Windows or Mac computer, plus I did say I wanted the ability to search for single tracks? Oh well, I guess simple is sometimes the best (existing Sonos app).
+1 for Google home integration. It's the major blocker for me to switch from Amazon Alexa.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
We all know it's coming sometime this year... Sonos has said it will be coming this year... there's only a few more months left, so it can't be too far away.

If you have the time and technical ability, throw your hat in for the beta program, and maybe you'll get the joy of being selected to participate in the testing even. No guarantees of course... I'm not a Sonos employee, and they often select test participants based on specific criteria they're looking for... but it can't hurt. 🙂
I own 3 one's that i'am waiting to use with google ok 😞 hope they finally bring it.... Its really annoing here in switzerland where you have to even use a german account to use alexa 😠
CEO just said yesterday they want it ready by XMas shopping season. November, at the latest.
Oh good grief Charlie Brown, another three months.....
Userlevel 2
Badge
Do you think that the SONOS world revolves around you and your needs? You sound like an angry child throwing their toys out of the pram…. Just be patient and give them time to do a proper job of it. No innovation happens quickly these days, especially if you want a bug-free release.
And please - proof read your grammar and Stop All The Capitals At The Beginning Of Each Word!

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings