Answered

Tired Of Waiting For Google home Integration

Userlevel 2
  • Contributor I
  • 2 replies
I am @ least 10 year Sonos veteran and it seams that Sonos as a company doesn't mind alienating what I would think is a considerable amount it owner base to Add Profit over Customer Loyalty. Sonos has been promising Google home Integration for @ least 1 Year & has been stringing along its Loyal Customers along while choosing to accept Money from Amazon over customer loyalty to allow Amazon to dictate whom will be able to integrate with Sonos Does SONOS think we a oblivious to what Sonos has done. Why Would I want to add Wires to my wireless system as a work around NICE THANKS . I have already started my SONOS Replacement Research there are many out their now. Thanks Sonos for appreciating MY 10 YEAR LOYALTY!!!
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 1 November 2018, 15:27

Hi everyone, I just posted an update to the status of Google Assistant coming to Sonos here which also links to our Blog. We'll make sure to keep you updated with any news we have to share. Thanks for your patience, and we are as excited to bring you Google Assistant as you are to get it. We're hard at work on building the integration and look forward to getting it in your hands as soon as it's ready.

View original

188 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Sonos announced that Google Assistant support would be coming in 2018. They announced it in October last year that they were working on - so your actually completely wrong (it has been 6 months). Note it did take a year from announcement of Alexa support in Fall of 2016 to release in Fall 2017. These things just as much involve Amazon/Google timelines as Sonos.

I don't think most people here have expected to see Google before this summer.

When you purchased your Sonos you didn't even know anything about Google Assistant. How is Sonos giving out a free upgrade to support something it was originally never intended for putting "Profit over Customer Loyalty". They seem to be doing the opposite. When you purchased Sonos 10 years ago you didn't even know what voice control was or would be. For Sonos to give it then to you 10 years later for free - yea slam them!

Amazon is paying Sonos money??? Ummm... most likely Sonos is paying Amazon! For your loyalty by the way!

And I have no idea what where sonos made you add wires to your wireless statement comes from. Very confusing statement.

I don't see anything in your rant that appears to have any factual basis. Actually I have to say rather ridiculous rant.

I just re-read - and best of luck finding something else other then Google that supports Google. There are no others. Why did you all of a sudden come to the dramatic notion that you immediately needed Google support and Sonos should get it to you immediately.
Userlevel 2
https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3467?language=en_US

Very Naive!!!!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
What!

Yea of course you could hook a Google Audio device to an input on Sonos. I mean I have a chromecast dongle (don't use it but have one). You've been always able to do that.

But what in the world does that have anything to do with your rant. It has nothing to do with upcoming native support of Google wirelessly that Sonos is working on.

Maybe you should call Sonos on the phone and have a conversation.
Userlevel 2
Guess you cant having trouble reading Google Home and Sonos

The Google Assistant will be supported on Sonos One in 2018. Sign up here to be notified when the Google Assistant integration comes to Sonos.
While Google Home Smart Assistant doesn’t work with your Sonos system natively, it can be connected with an audio cable allowing you to play music on Sonos by asking your Google Assistant.

How can I use Google Home with Sonos?
Certain Sonos products have a Line-In port which allows you to connect an external audio source such as a phone, computer, or Chromecast Audio to your Sonos system.

What you need to get started:

Google Home
Google Chromecast Audio (more than one if you wish to have individual speaker control)
A Sonos product with line-in: PLAY:5 (gen1 and gen2), CONNECT or CONNECT:AMP
Line-In cable. Either:
an ⅛ inch (3.5mm) audio cable for PLAY:5 (gen1 and gen2)
an ⅛ inch (3.5mm) to RCA Y-audio cable for CONNECT and CONNECT:AMP
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Yes - again what does that have to do with anything.

If someone wants google Home support right now they have two choices. They can wire a google device to a Sonos input (effectively making it a speaker for Google Home - as you keep describing for some reason)

or

they can run a server program called Yonomi to communicate between the two and allow Google Home to control Sonos (https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/01/14/can-now-control-sonos-speakers-google-home-yonomi/)

else

wait until later this year when Sonos will release its Google Home Skill which will allow google home devices to natively control Sonos speakers (a lot like yonomi will do now running as independent server).
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Patiences is not a strong point for you I guess.

You are thinking 6 months is a long time. Try ikea tradfri light into google home. It was announce last April, it just be came available over this weekend. It was so late, they had to place stickers on their packaging to cover up google assistance support on the tradfri light and support items they had in inventory. So it was a year after it was announced. As RVA pointed out, alexa took a year from announcement to implication. So if support comes in May or June, that is a fast release. Delays happen with all manufactures. Apple Airplay2 is delayed, HomePod missed the xmas sale season. Google and alexa don't even have multi-room support, let alone 5.1 support. Not sure whey they will support stereo pairing either.

I have been a sonos user since 2009, and out of all my home electronics it has been one of the most future proof things in my home inventory, think only the apple ecosphere items are as reliable as my sonos. They only removed couple of small items from support. And When I started, I used it on my iPhone and iTunes on my mac, they have added countless streaming service as that sector grew. I can not find another system that lets me use apple music, spotify, deezer, google music, tune in, and the other 30 plus services out there. If you look at the sonos system, it has grown with the changing market. Started out a music system, then added home theater, and as streaming music became the big thing, the upgraded to add that ability. Since home assistance voice control, sonos is adding that ability for their customer for free as well.

I don't mind people ranting, but facts should be correct.

PS since they are added it into the google ecosphere, and a direct competitor for the Google Home Max speaker, google could be holding up support as well, by delaying some updates. Just something else to consider. This is not a one side upgrade. Google needs to have some things inplace in their google assistance before 3rd parties can launch features.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
well said shoturtle

I'm still confused as to why he thinks Sonos is trying to get more money out of him by giving his 10 year old system a free upgrade to Google Home (that never existed until a few years ago).
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Chris wrote:

well said shoturtle

I'm still confused as to why he thinks Sonos is trying to get more money out of him by giving his 10 year old system a free upgrade to Google Home (that never existed until a few years ago).

I really don't think sonos has every go me to buy new hardware for any of the feature they added by software. My play 5 is still supported.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
You can't go wrong having a Play:5. That's why I always tell people they should start out with a Play:5. Great speaker and gives you an input so that your pretty future proof if anything comes along you need to input.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Chris wrote:

You can't go wrong having a Play:5. That's why I always tell people they should start out with a Play:5. Great speaker and gives you an input so that your pretty future proof if anything comes along you need to input.

Yup, play 5 is the only speaker that works great as a stand alone, play 1 and one, and play3 works better paired.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Well ..... a standalone Playbar.....has pretty good sound. I did finally set mine up though in 5.1 sound and wow that is pretty impressive.

I actually have a lot of rooms with Play:1s in them. When you do trueplay tuning I think they work very well filling a room with sound (not for critical listening certainly - but great in filling room with excellent sound).
I have 7 Sonos in the house and tried Alexa, it was a truly horrible hit and miss experience so stopped. I use the app on the phone which works great. I also have 4 google home units and in no rush to use them for Sonos. If it happens i will try it but if its anything like Alexa it wont be used for long.
Badge
There is plenty right about Sonos and plenty wrong. I would not say Google home integration is all wrong or even slo to coming. If you understand Google, you may begin to question different things. In Google if you don't have a public account but your own domain...well there is a few things that don't work right in Google Family or Google home You can't share family music , There is no family sharing of purchases, you can't integrate your calendars into Google home etc. All of these Alexa can do even with personal (your) own domain accounts. Go figure..I figure it is the amount of privacy that people are willing to released with a free public gmail account. But if your a paying customer...well they have to protect your confidentiality more- So is sonos the blame because they are slow at bringing in voice control , Or is the issue more complex than one could imagine? I think perhaps it's more complex. Now what has sonos got wrong - The use of optical cables and not HDMI. Having to rely on a TV to pass a certain sound format in order for 5.1 to some what work. The limit on the types of 5.1 that can be passed. Today there are plenty of higher end sound bars that surpass Sonos in many ways...but none offer the same way to doing Music...which is what I like about Sonos. So when it comes to Google home and Sonos practice patience people and then buy a single Alexa echo or a Sonos one to take care of that voice itch you have with Sonos. When it comes to picking out a 5.1 wireless sound bar system...do your homework... today offers a much better offerings...and hey you can always add a Connect from Sonos if you are so inclined.
Badge
I am also impatiently waiting for Google home and Sonos integration. I feel since it has already been done on Alexa, Google integration shouldn't take as long. Also, Yonami is a joke as it only works about half the time.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Do your feelings have any correlation with facts on how long it takes to do? It will be here soon enough.
Thank you all for sharing your opinions.
I was interested in acquiring Sonos brand products for my home. After joining the Sonos community and reading many posts relating to Google Home and Alexa, I’ve decided to save my money.

I have multiple google speakers throughout the house.
Google’s Home App now lets users group speakers allowing me to wirelessly stream music (Google Play Music, YouTube Red) throughout my home.

A relatively recent update also lets me turn a Google Home speaker into a Bluetooth speaker.

I understand the frustration of author of this post. Why should you have to add a chromecast audio to your Sonos speaker? I get it.

I rather not be bothered with it. I’ll find a decent sound bar for my Living Room TV and leave the voice control functions to the multiple google homes throughout the house. Which by the way are very cost effective and sound great.
Fair enough. The general opinion seems to be that the Google Home's sound is significantly inferior to a Play:1 and vastly inferior to a Play:5. But of course that is reflected in the pricing. Sound quality is more important to me than anything, but that is just personal preference.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I always tell people. Don’t buy anything for what it is going to do. Buy for what it does today. With google being very important to you I would also personally wait and see. Sonos.has a lot of adavntagegs for whole home so you may want to stay tuned. But I wouldn’t buy today for a feature that hasn’t released yet. In a few months you may change your mind once they release it. But your probably making a good decision to hold off.

Ps. This board gets a lot of complainers (as it’s a support forum). Actually only a handful come here with complaints compared to the millions of happy Sonos users. So don’t let board stuff shy you away.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
BadboyMikeLowry wrote:

Thank you all for sharing your opinions.
I was interested in acquiring Sonos brand products for my home. After joining the Sonos community and reading many posts relating to Google Home and Alexa, I’ve decided to save my money.

I have multiple google speakers throughout the house.
Google’s Home App now lets users group speakers allowing me to wirelessly stream music (Google Play Music, YouTube Red) throughout my home.

A relatively recent update also lets me turn a Google Home speaker into a Bluetooth speaker.

I understand the frustration of author of this post. Why should you have to add a chromecast audio to your Sonos speaker? I get it.

I rather not be bothered with it. I’ll find a decent sound bar for my Living Room TV and leave the voice control functions to the multiple google homes throughout the house. Which by the way are very cost effective and sound great.

Actually you don't need a chromcast to get sonos to play music with google home. I do it with a work around right now. I can control the volume, the radio stations and my playlist with my google home mini. That plays all my music onto my sonos system.

Only thing I can not do it bluetooth to the sonos. But I never use bluetooth for that anyways. I only bluetooth to my headphone and travel speakers when I am away from home.

The fact of the matter is that sonos only announce that google home ability last dec and that it is coming this year. I am sure it will be out before july. Then I can dump most of my work around.

But Sonos is not the answer for everyone. I personally do not use the sonos home theater system. I prefer my old Yamaha receiver or my onkyo setup for home tether. Sonos is my primary home multi room music system. And that is where it fit nicely in my home.

I wanted a multi home system that will give me stereo sound in every room. And it is the only system that I found that fit my needs for that ability and the ability to play apple music. As I am not a fan of google play music, amazon music. Spotify is okay, but I have a big apple environment. The sonos was just the right system when I started out 10 years ago. And it has grown to keep up with my changing music environment.

As you have google speakers through out your home, it would make sense to stay with that system. It is a large investment. And while the review of the google home max is mix, it still is a good speaker. One once you adjust it to your preference. It will sound good. Out the box most speaker need some adjusting. For the rooms that do not require such a large and powerful speaker. I would look at some of the JBL Link speakers. They do sound better then the google home and google home mini speakers and have google assistance and chromcast built in.

But don't let this thread give you the wrong impression of sonos. We are talking about only 6 months since the announcement they will support google assistant sometime this spring. HomePod took even longer to get to market from announcement.
I don't recall the support for Google assistant being for this spring, I believe they said "sometime in 2018". Now I need to go find that to post a link here. Would you provide a link to the announcement for "sometime this spring" please?
Here is the announcement I was recalling:

http://press-us.sonos.com/159680-sonos-unveils-smart-speaker-with-support-for-multiple-voice-services

And the relevant portion:

In 2018, the Google Assistant comes to Sonos One, making it the first and only smart speaker to support multiple major voice services.

I'd be delighted to see something that modifies that timeline, please.
I expect a free update to work with Google Home after 10 years b/c after 10 years Sonos bricked my cr100 (with no comparable replacement).
I think your expectations will be met, when they've completed the integration. They didn't charge for the update for Amazon Alexa integration, it would be odd for them to charge for the integration for Google Home.
I really don't understand with the hold up is with Sonos. I keep hearing on the Sonos forum that it's Google and not Sonos that's holding things up but that's hard to believe. Google has bought the company api.ai for a long time now. Phillips hue works, Netflix. Sonos should have become an early adopter like the companies but they choose not to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvyrvowZ4wQ
https://api.ai/google-assistant/
I won't be buying another Sonos product until they integrate with Google home. This is silicon valley most products support Google home and Alexa more than 50% even work with airplay.. these delays have gotten out of hand and there is no reason for the delays. I have already started looking into alternatives and once I start selling off my Sonos products I won't be looking back. I hope the integration comes soon because my patients are running out ( I have 2500$ invested! So hard to walk away but worth it if they don't value my future business, 2 more rooms left to go.)

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings