Tidal x Sonos S2 integration

• 26 June 2020
  • 2 replies

Like many other Tidal hifi subscribers, I was super excited to learn about S2’s support of CD quality streaming, and was hoping to build a whole-house system around it (currently just have a One for a bedroom). 

However, being able to actually find the music you want to listen to is paramount to enjoying the app, and in this respect Sonos integration with Tidal has gone backwards from what was already a rather lackluster effort (and the reason I’ve not invested in a full Sonos system). 

Not only is there no way to do simple things like changing the sort order of my Tidal favorite albums to “by artist” (something that has been requested going back YEARS), but now the app now doesn’t even include the the name of the artist in the list!  Are we supposed to memorize what album goes to an artist, in a list sorted arbitrarily shuffled by date added? 

I’m sure the canned “its entirely dictated by Tidal API” yada yada response will be forthcoming, but that is not acceptable.  Other services (Bluesound) are tiny compared to Sonos, yet they have had this worked out with Tidal for years. 

The new app is very pretty, and HQ streaming is huge, but at the end of the day it’s all about having your music at your fingertips and having some control over how that information is presented to you.  Sonos could certainly use their clout to get this worked out with Tidal if they had the will to do so.  Now that they support HQ streaming which will attract more Tidal users, now is the time.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

I completely endorse your points tsj, plus it’d be great to be able to access MQA encoded files - even if we only get first level decoding of them to 24/48. (And please - can all the ‘you can’t hear the difference above 320kbs’ gang save your fingers - I’m not interested.)

Badge +1

Same fundamental problem in the S1 Controller.

I strongly endorse the complaint about both S1 and S2 apps now no longer including the name of the artist in the Tidal album list.

On june 28th, I wrote the following message to the Sonos CEO. 

Didn’t get any reaction yet…

Dear Sir,

Since I did not find an email address where I could reach customer service, I take the liberty to send you this message.

My request concerns the S1 Controller for Android and Windows.

More specifically, the list displayed in TIDAL / My Music / Albums.

Prior to the switch to the S1 Controller, that list included all albums with the name of the album, the artist and an image of the cover.

Unfortunately, since the switch to the S1 Controller, the name of the artist is no longer displayed. However, this information is essential for a list of various albums!

Can you do what it takes to have the artist's name redisplayed in an album list?

Thank you in advance (and thanks for your decision to continue supporting the first generation Sonos devices with the S1 Controller)!

Regards