Answered

Tidal on Sonos in Serbia

• 7 October 2021
  • 9 replies

Hello,

I can not add Tidal as Service to my Sonos. It simply is not there as option when I search for it, while other similar services as Deezer are there. 

What I am missing?

icon

Best answer by James L. 7 October 2021, 17:12

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Tidal does not appear to have yet authorized Sonos as a carrier of their content in Serbia. See:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3096?

Hi Bruce,

many thanks for prompt response, however this is not true. Tidal is officially available in Serbia. Maybe only Sonos webpage is not up to date. See:

https://support.tidal.com/hc/en-us/articles/202453191-TIDAL-Where-We-re-Available

Since both are officially available in Serbia, I would expect Tidal to be available as service within Sonos. That’s what I bought it for...

Hi Bruce,

many thanks for prompt response, however this is not true. Tidal is officially available in Serbia. Maybe only Sonos webpage is not up to date. See:

https://support.tidal.com/hc/en-us/articles/202453191-TIDAL-Where-We-re-Available

Since both are officially available in Serbia, I would expect Tidal to be available as service within Sonos. That’s what I bought it for...

That’s a different service - think of them as two separate entities. The ‘Tidal’ Service and the ‘Tidal on Sonos’ service. It appears the latter is not yet in situ in Serbia.

Oh, ok, this clarifies. However, I have to say that in that case Sonos article Bruce shared is vague and can be misleading as it states “Where Tidal is available” making one to think that where Tidal is available it will be available on Sonos as well. I can’t recall I saw any kind of asterix or similar clarifying what you just explained, but believe this should be explained as otherwise it is subject to misinterpretation.

Anyone of Sonos officials, any plans on when Tidal will be available on Sonos in Serbia?

Thanks 

Badge +17

Oh, ok, this clarifies. However, I have to say that in that case Sonos article Bruce shared is vague and can be misleading as it states “Where Tidal is available” making one to think that where Tidal is available it will be available on Sonos as well. I can’t recall I saw any kind of asterix or similar clarifying what you just explained, but believe this should be explained as otherwise it is subject to misinterpretation.

Anyone of Sonos officials, any plans on when Tidal will be available on Sonos in Serbia?

Thanks 

Hi @Marko Niketic,

Unfortunately I don’t know if or when Tidal plans to implement their service on Sonos for Serbia.

I’ll pass on your request to our music services team, but I also encourage you to reach out to Tidal directly, since it’s ultimately their choice of where in the world their service can be used.

Hi James,

Thanks for passing this to your music service team. Appreciate it. It would be great if you can share feedback once you hear back from them.

Tidal is officially available in Serbia and I do use it on other similar streaming devices so I guess this issue is about Sonos implementation rather than Tidal itself. I don’t see why to reach out to Tidal? To ask them why Sonos does not allow Tidal service in Serbia even though it’s officially available? 

Cheers

Badge +17

Hi James,

Thanks for passing this to your music service team. Appreciate it. It would be great if you can share feedback once you hear back from them.

Tidal is officially available in Serbia and I do use it on other similar streaming devices so I guess this issue is about Sonos implementation rather than Tidal itself. I don’t see why to reach out to Tidal? To ask them why Sonos does not allow Tidal service in Serbia even though it’s officially available? 

Cheers

As Ken stated above, there is a distinction to be made between Tidal and Tidal’s Sonos implementation. 

Tidal have written the code to be integrated into Sonos, and given us a list of countries where the service should appear. What often happens is that services will later expand to new territories, but don’t notify or update the list of regions that their 3rd party integrations should deliver the content to. Sonos can’t make that decision for them, since there may be further legal or license based restrictions for not allowing a service to be delivered in a certain way in certain regions (global music licensing is a notoriously difficult beast to tame).

In short, Tidal need to allow Sonos to deliver their service in any new region, and until they make that request our hands are tied.

We’ve written an FAQ article all about music services that I’ll link below, should you have any more questions. :slight_smile:

Hey James,

Thanks for further explanations. I reached out to Tidal on this.

As previously mentioned, I’m already using Tidal on other similar devices, through their proprietary applications that pulls in Tidal in same way as Sonos does. So, I don’t think it’s general issue related to Tidal presence in Serbia, and licensing issues related to music. It still seems like issue specifically related to Sonos-Tidal combination.

After all, shouldn’t Sonos be more proactive in this kind of things and reach out to Tidal since other products have implemented Tidal already? Can’t be that Sonos is relaying on users to insist and clear the road...

Hello All,

I'm happy to inform you that the issue has been resolved. Tidal is now integrated with Sonos and has full functionality for users in Serbia.

Cheers!