Tidal Hifi: Albums shown twice in Sonos controller, without any visible difference

• 2 January 2018
  • 2 replies

Badge
Hi, I recently subscribed to Tidal Hifi, in order to compare its sound quality with Spotify Premium.
In Tidal, numerous albums are shown twice, without any visible difference between them in the Sonos controller (Android and Windows).
For example: Tori Amos: the album Native Invader appears 2 times
(and Native Invader (Deluxe) appears also 2 times).
What's the difference between these?
If there is a relevant difference, how to choose the right version?
(I haven't yet tried to hear differences between these versions.
Generally, Tidal sounds better than Spotify in a very subtle way on my B&W 804S / class A KT100 tube-amplifiers / Audio-gd DAC-19 / Sonos Connect.)
A consequence of these 'double' albums: the "Most popular tracks"-list also mentions twice the tracks from these albums, as if they were different songs.
I remember having seen these 'doubles' already some years ago, when I previously tested Tidal.
Thanks for your help!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hello there, Geert_4. Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community. This is something that even happens on the Tidal app itself. For instance, look up The Who. Some of their albums are even triplicated. It seems to be due to various differences such as explicit lyrics, master quality, etc. Perhaps Tidal could give some deeper insight?
Badge
Hi, Tidal gave me the following answer: "If albums are shown more than once, this indicates that it is different. i.e. M means it is an MQA album. E means it has explicit content. It can also be because one version is the original, and the other is a deluxe version."
I checked it out, and I found that the 'M' is only visible in the Tidal Desktop app, not in Sonos nor in the Tidal-Android app.
When I played the 'M'-labelled album (visible in the Tidal Desktop app) through Sonos, it sounded slightly better than the version without the 'M'-label (visible in the Tidal Desktop app). So, through Sonos, I can hear a difference, but I can't see the label: bad luck.
Tidal's answer wasn't completely satisfying, because many albums are present twice or even three times, without any visible difference (even no 'M' nor 'E' in the Tidal Desktop app).
A pity that Tidal Hifi can't organise this in a better way, while it's 100% more expensive than Spotify Premium.