Question

Synology NAS

• 3 June 2020
  • 5 replies

Apologies if this has been asked before. I want to plug a Synology NAS directly into a Sonos speaker in my wired setup. Can someone give me a simpleton’s guide on the required settings and set-up please? As a bonus question, would I still be able to use the NAS as a wireless back-up for my MacBook?  Thank you! Miles

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Plug both into an ethernet switch connected to your router or to the router directly if you have enough spare ports.

I certainly agree with Iain59, I wouldn’t want to subject any network device for data to the limited throughput on a Sonos device’s 10/100 ethernet ports, nor restrict the music throughput by running simultaneous data on that reduced bandwidth.  Sonos just isn’t a great wifi extender device, since it wasn’t designed with that in mind. 

Your router may support such a configuration, I’m not sure, but it sure wouldn’t be advisable.  But if the device can be “seen” on the network, your Mac will back up to it. I can assure you that my Time Machine backups swamp my 5Ghz network that I have set up for my Macs, if I were to try to do that process on a 10/100 Mbps connection, I’m not sure my machines would ever finish a backup. Given the last two weeks of updates from Apple, I may be more sensitive than normal to that process. I usually kick it off when I go to bed after updating the Mac, and then kick off the second one the next morning for the other Mac. 

Iain, Bruce, thank you very much for your advice.  I live outside usable landline broadband coverage and had ended up with my 4G router and NAS in the loft. I was exploring the idea of plugging the NAS into Sonos so that I wouldn’t need to climb into the loft to switch the NAS back on every time there is a power interruption!  I’ll probably just plug the NAS into my MacBook for backups.

Thanks again for the replies.

Miles

…..so that I wouldn’t need to climb into the loft to switch the NAS back on every time there is a power interruption!  I’ll probably just plug the NAS into my MacBook for backups.

On your Synology there should be a setting under Control Panel/Hardware and Power for Power Recovery. There’s a check box to say whether you want the device to auto restart after a power failure - or not.

I’ll have a look at it, thanks! I may well have missed a very simple fix. Much appreciated.