Question

Synology denied for Play:5 and Connect:Amp but not Play:3

• 14 September 2020
  • 15 replies

Badge +1

I changed my password on synology and then now cant access the play 5s (gen1) or connect amp unless I first GROUP them to the play 3

Nothing else has changed , smb has always been enabled - this literally only started after the password change

I removed and re-added the music share, also rebooted every device  ...screams

15 replies

Are they all part of the same ‘Sonos’ system? If so, it doesn’t make sense, the software doesn’t care what device is playing the music when it reaches out to grab the data. Is there any possibility that the PLAY:5 and CONNECT:AMP are on Wi-Fi extenders/powerline adapters of some type? That would cause an issue when you’re using one of those two devices as the ‘master’ of the stream, keeping the Sonos device from reaching the Synology.

It might be worth submitting a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of trying to play a stream starting with either of these devices, and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, there are more options available beyond just the diagnostic analysis. 

I had much the same thoughts as Bruce. 

I assume you are playing using the Sonos app, not the Synology Audio Station?

Badge +1

Yes, all part of the same system, using the sonos app, android and Windows pc versions

The connect amp is hard wired and the play 5s and play 3 are all WiFi connected to the main home WiFi, or at least should be as that's the only network showing on the app 

Literally all that's changed was  the synology password 

Try swapping the Ethernet cable from the CONNECT:AMP to one of the other Sonos devices, and see if the issue changes, or stays the same. Then I’d call Sonos. 

Badge +1

Removed all extenders, rebooted play 3, connect amp and 2 x play5s 

Connected to router 

Added music server again

P3 plays but everything else access denied 

I don’t really think this is relevant, but you say the 5s and 3 are connected to your WiFi.  They shouldn’t be.  With a wired device they should be connected to SonosNet not your WiFi.  In About my System, do the Sonos units have WM;0 or WM;1 next to them?

What are the IP addresses of C:A and 3?  (There is absolutely zero security risk in disclosing internal IP addresses.)

Badge +1

Connect amp is hard wired, all others are WiFi which I followed as part of the setup process

There is something wrong here. Have you set the Connect;Amp to 'Disable WiFi' rather than 'Enable WiFi'?

Is tbe info for the 3 just out of sight or not there?

Badge +1

updated list: The connect amp has wifi enabled but is also on an ethernet cable as the house is large and minimal signal for wifi in the study where the connect amp is 

checked my synology and smb is enabled set at smb1

If I turn it off I cant access/see diskstation on the network

Play:3: Bedroom
Serial Number: 00-0E-58-78-66-6E:C
Sonos OS: S1
Version: 11.2.2 (build 57379200)
Hardware Version: 1.8.1.2-2.0
Series ID: A100
IP Address: 192.168.1.18
WM: 0
OTP: 
---------------------------------
Connect:Amp: Kitchen
Serial Number: 00-0E-58-34-5C-FA:6
Hardware Version: 1.16.3.1-2.0
Series ID: P100
IP Address: 192.168.1.34
OTP: 1.1.1(1-16-3-0.9)
Play:5: Music L
Serial Number: 00-0E-58-88-DF-86:3
Hardware Version: 1.16.4.1-2.0
IP Address: 192.168.1.169
OTP: 1.1.1(1-16-4-zp5s-0.5)
Play:5: Music R
Serial Number: 00-0E-58-59-11-A4:1
Hardware Version: 1.16.4.1-2.0
IP Address: 192.168.1.44
OTP: 1.1.1(1-16-4-zp5s-0.5)

Interestingly, your Play:5 pair is now connecting over SonosNet, whereas before it was connecting to WiFi (WM:1 has changed to WM:0).  At the moment i can’t think why this would have any relevance to your issue.

For the sake of greater stability anyway, i suggest you go to Settings, System, Network, Networks and remove your WiFi network, so that SonosNet is always used.  I don’t really think that will resolve your issue, but is good practice.

You mention rebooting most things.  Have you rebooted the NAS?

Beyond that, this seems quite weird.  As @Airgetlam said early on, either the whole system should connect or nothing.  So if none of the above helps, I think you will have to call Support.

Badge +1

i rebooted the NAS yesterday

also when I set up the speakers yesterday (again) - it asked for wifi and the only option was to add my home wifi ? so how would I do the sono net bit ? - (I dont have a sonos boost)

14:15 wed

right now I enabled a synology account “GUEST” with no password and allowed it access to the music folder only as read only , re added the share with user GUEST and no password and and now all speakers work playing music off my server

thats good,  but frustrating

Any Sonos device connected via ethernet acts as a BOOST (with the exception of the BRIDGE, of course), so a BOOST is only required for people like me who have no Sonos speaker close enough / convenient enough to wire directly to the router. 

You’re already using SonosNet, so I’d agree with John, best practice would be to remove your WiFi data from the controller, covered in the Removing Wifi data FAQ. 

Badge +1

I will remove the wifi and see what effect it has - odd the no password guest from synology lets all speakers access now yet the other user and password was only recognized by the play 3

problem is the house is big - so if I move the p3 back upstairs it wont reach the other speakers and might need the front door router wifi  ?

When you try to play from your Sonos music library on the 5s, what exactly is the error message yo get?

Badge +1

Hi John

when I had admin w/password account for synology-

sonos app or controller and selecting p5s/connect amp occasionally said error adding “blah”…..error 701

and then it instantly became

"access to shared folder \\diskstation\music\telefonica music  is denied

for everything bar the p3 which played fine. I need a well timed screen grab to show that actual message.

each device could play sonos radio or spotify independently

I have it working prev post and 4 different artists playing over 4 speakers at present with [Guest /no password] from synology share