Support streaming audio from a Chrome browser tab and/or YouTube

• 11 January 2022
  • 6 replies

There are many occasions where I listen to audio within a tab on my Chrome browser. It would be nice to be able to capture the audio and stream it directly to Sonos. Same with YouTube.

6 replies

Userlevel 7

If you are using an iOS device or Mac, you can AirPlay the audio to your Move or Play:5 and group your other speakers with them.

Read more here:
https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1230?language=en_US

If you’re not, you’d need to get Google to support the streaming to a Sonos device. As indicated, Apple has already implemented the Sonos API to support that, but Google has not yet, for reasons we can speculate on, but are completely unsure as to why they’ve chosen not to, at this point. 

If you’re not, you’d need to get Google to support the streaming to a Sonos device. As indicated, Apple has already implemented the Sonos API to support that, but Google has not yet, for reasons we can speculate on, but are completely unsure as to why they’ve chosen not to, at this point. 

Doubt Apple uses Sonos API for this.  Rather, Sonos has integrated Apple’s AirPlay protocol. Sonos would also need to integrate Google’s ChromeCast protocol to be able to cast YouTube or Chrome tabs. Why haven’t they?  Who knows?

Not on the inside, so no idea….but I’d have a guess as to why Google isn’t overly excited about cooperating further with Sonos. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

If the Chromecast has a headphone jack, plug it into a Play:5 or a Five.

A friend told me about a chrome extension “Cast to Sonos”, it works like Chromecast and it's free. It's unfortunate that it's not supported by default.