Support ratings

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

96 replies

Badge
With the release of v2.5 showing that deeper integration into the music services is completely doable, I'd like to suggest the following: enable the ability to rate the Song, Album, & Artist via the handheld controller.

As I'm listening to music, I'd like to be able to rate how much I like the song, the album, and the artist. For my own personal library, it really helps when creating random play lists (all 5-start albums). But the real advantage comes from the music service (Rhaposdy & Napster...I'm not sure if Sirus does this) as they use this rating to help tune the music delievered. Imagine the music on the Channel adjusting to how you react to the song. The songs/albums/artists presented on the Rhapsody/Naptser Recommends listing would be better tuned to your music desires.

The best usage of this that I have seen so far is from Yahoo! Music (music.yahoo.com). I've been using Rhapsody with my Sonos and my Sansa MP3 player...and via my MP3 player I can rate the songs which makes Rhapsody adjust what is delivered to me. I'd like the same ability from the Sonos handheld controller.

I love listening to the Channels as it provides me a way to explore new music. I know I can add a song that I like from a Channel to My Favorites, but it would be really handy to rate the song/album/artist. That way I could quickly use that rating to find more music from that ablum/artist to also explore.

Thanks!

Mike
Userlevel 2
Natural and intuitive - good technology makes complexity disappear (at least on the surface)
Userlevel 2
I love the "Sonos doesn't write to shares" concept. I even set my shares up as "read-only" just in case. Basically, don't mess with my music!

But it sure would be great to record ratings, play count, last played date, etc. for each song.

Sonos could do this by having a special writeable share. No music on there. Just metadata. Maybe a shadowed folder structure with .INI files in place of the music files themselves. Or whatever implementation makes sense. This would take some development effort by Sonos, but it would be worth it. Music management is beyond the scope of Sonos products, but rating songs while they're being played just makes sense.

-=og=-
Doug S,

That's a tough one because a fundamental guiding principle is never write on the user's file system. The flags would need to be stored somewhere.

The flags could be stored as part of the SONOS library index, but then you would need a function to list the flagged tracks and a manual operation to delete them from your hard drive.
Userlevel 2
At the simplest level I would like to be able to nuke a particular track or album with a simple choice on the playlist/que. Ideally this would set a flag that I can use with some other tool to pull that track/album from my storage.

Doug
Hi,

I´m not sure if this issue was already posted here

If you're not sure, may I suggest you try the "Search" tool at the top of the forum.

I've merged you with the main thread on this which I found by typing "ratings" into the search tool.

Cheers,

Keith
Userlevel 2
Hi,

I´m not sure if this issue was already posted here, but I´m strongly interested to get a possibility to show a rating (1-5 stars) in the flac tags of my whole collection.

This would be very helpful to identify the best songs of each ripped cd of the whole music collection.

Regards,
hasenmann
Userlevel 2
The lack of this function is the only thing that stops me from buying Sonos TODAY. It seemes like a great product, but lack of rating is a big minus for me.

I have 1000-2000 albums (15000-20000songs), and use rating daily too find the songs i want too listen too. A must have in a product like this.

Windows Vista will have rating on songs. Would be nice if Sonos could work together with Vista. If u give a rating in Vista, it will update in the Sonos remote, and visa verca. Even if Sonos get it`s own rating-system/tags, it will be a huge upgrade from today.
Playing music by rating would be great. Changing/creating the rating using the Sonos controller would be even better. It would help me explore (and filter) my collection even more efficiently than I do now.

Many software players support the ratings tag. Unfortunately, I'm not sure that the Sonos software would be capable of changing the rating (editing the music file) from the controller. But it would be a great feature!
Userlevel 2
Since I have rated most of my music in Windows Media Player, I would very much like to be able to play all 5 star music (or all 4 or 5 star music) in Sonos, but it currently doesn't do anything with ratings. This would be a wonderful addition to the way you can browse and play music.

Hi davej I also have the media player. So I agree with you. 😃
This is the one feature, that for me, Sonos is missing.

I would like Sonos' shuffle mode to support an option to be sensitive to the ratings of the songs in the queue. Obviously, this first requires that Sonos at least import iTunes' ratings ;)

What I mean by sensitive would be to play highly rated songs more often. The parameters I see is a minimum rating to be considered "highly rated", a "% percentage of time" to play highly-rated songs, and a time-frame that percentage applies to.

So, I can pick "4-stars", "80%", and 1 hour. And know that over the next hour, 48 minutes will be my favorites, and the other 12 minutes will be songs that I have forgotten about :)

Playing a song now or next would force the queue to possibly be reshuffled to maintain the desired top-rated percentage.

With this functionality, I can simply play my whole collection, and know that most of the time, as I define it, I can hear what I really like, and also hear a bit about what I might like not as much, but not dislike enough to delete.
Userlevel 2
Second after Alarm Clock functions (which I am so happy to see in version 2 and to see so very well implemented) would be a simple "Rate It" function. If I have a big queue and am listening in shuffle play mode, I frequently encounter tracks in my collection that I wish were not and/or tracks I forgot I had that I would like to hear more often. In either event, it would be great if I could pick up the controller and hit a "Rate It" button and scroll through ratings to save in the track meta-data for use elsewhere.

For example:

Do not play ever again.

And of course I'd like to be able to have automatic playlists of "favorites" e.g. tracks rated with 4 or 5 stars. And the ability to configure shuffle to play unrated music at random, highly rated music slightly more often and poorly rated music less often:

Positive bias for:

Neutral bias for:
no rating

Negative bias for:

But, of course, I would want to control this behavior by simply turning it on or off according to my whim.

Thanks for listening and kind regards,

Aaron Kirsten
Badge
I like Classic Rock, Heavy Metal, and Acoustic music...

She likes Opera, Soundtracks, and Children's songs...

We both have a large number of play lists we are creating but am curious if there might be a way to have a heirarchy within the Sonos Playlists? That way I could create a His grouping, a Her grouping, a Dinner party grouping, etc.

Other aspects of different users wanting to keep their musical preferences seperate:
1) Favorite internet radio stations
2) Ratings (my 5-star list vs. hers)
3) music libraries share (her laptop, my desktop)

I don't think that adding multiple desktops like Microsoft attempted with WinXP is the right answer (that is more problematic then good), but thinking about how to add a level of organization that is user customized could be worth while...

Thanks for listening!

Mike
Badge
Me too for the ratings!!!

However, I have a twist to consider...

I have finally finished ripping our music collection, and my wife is just starting to explore all the music with our Sonos system. What we would like is the ability to use the Sonos controller to assign a rating to the song...plus it would be great to assing ratings to the Album and Artist as well via the controller.

My wife and I both listen to the Launch Radio from Yahoo!, and they have the ability to rate the song, album, and artist (from Never play again to Love It!) and they use this to know how to introduce new music into the music stream.

I would love the ability to (at minimum) have the Sonos system *READ* the 5-star rating system (metatag set via any other application) for the song, and would love for you to also *WRITE* that one tag as well. Allows me to on-the-fly-while-listening-via-the-Sonos rate that song.

If you could add Ablum & Artist tagging as part of your music indexing (as I don't think there is an industry metatag for that) I would be very happy.

How I would use the tags?
1) play all 5-starred songs
2) play all 5-starred Songs in the BLUES genre
3) play all 4+ starred Artists

Just helps me put on background music for dinner parties.

Thanks for listening!

Mike
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
I also vote for implementing ratings as outlined in this thread. I routinely use ratings in iTunes to find the songs I most want to listen to. I really miss having this feature in Sonos!!!!

You can use the rating in iTunes to create smart playlists and import these into Sonos. Long winded i know, but it works.
I also vote for implementing ratings as outlined in this thread. I routinely use ratings in iTunes to find the songs I most want to listen to. I really miss having this feature in Sonos!!!!
Userlevel 2
No, using WMP, the obnly way to create a playlist using ratings is using the program's "active playlists," which are generated on the fly when you select it for playback. Sonos imports them as empty playlists.
Userlevel 2
I hardly ever use Windows Media Player but doesn't Sonos import their playlists like it does with iTunes? I use iTunes and under Imported Playlists one of them is My Top Rated.
Userlevel 2
Since I have rated most of my music in Windows Media Player, I would very much like to be able to play all 5 star music (or all 4 or 5 star music) in Sonos, but it currently doesn't do anything with ratings. This would be a wonderful addition to the way you can browse and play music.