Support ratings

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

96 replies

Userlevel 2
+1: support of ratings, pref. read and write in Sonos.

1. time in:
Am using laptop and winamp for my collection of FLAC's but will move to a NAS now because of space needs, and I'm concidering Sonos solution. I'm very pleased with winamp, a very flexible tool... allows you to choose whether to save ratings (0-5 stars) in tags OR in a medialibrary-file (or both) - it works perfectly. But I'm not sure I'll change to Sonos just yet because of the lack of support for tags - and if not Sonos will allow them to be written in Sonos system, then at least allow them to be read and used when tagged in winamp or other app. in my flac-files metadata / tag.

Btw. I like that winamp calculates the albums rating from the result of the average of the albums tracks ratings - no need to rate the album.

Time to move on, Sonos 😉 🆒 ???
Userlevel 2
+1, me too please!

Very valuable for managing playlists and shuffle.
Userlevel 2
Just bought my Sonos and I cannot believe it doesn't have a rating system. Honestly, for the price I paid this is a must. Quick question, will this feature be available through a firmware or system upgrade at all? Is it feasible? Can somebody be honest and tell me if this will never happen?
thanks
Just bought my Sonos and I cannot believe it doesn't have a rating system. Honestly, for the price I paid this is a must. Quick question, will this feature be available through a firmware or system upgrade at all? Is it feasible? Can somebody be honest and tell me if this will never happen?
thanks

Sonos almost never comments on future development or capability. To rule out support for something is to rule out future devices or enhancements that aren't foreseen at this time. Plus, they keep their development roadmap quite close to the vest.

However, if you read this entire thread, there are some quite informed explanations as to why supporting this feature would be difficult at this time. Sonos does not rely on a central server running on a PC or Mac, like iTunes or Squeezebox. Instead, all search information is housed in an index on every Zone Player. This underlying Sonos design stresses speed, redundancy and reliability. However, space is limited on the ZP's and for every search index you add (such as ratings), you have to decrease the total available tracks, which is now at 65,000.

Another reason for no ratings support is that Sonos never, ever writes to your libary. It is a read only system, so to support things like rating a track from the controller would be impossible, because the ratings would have to written to the track.
Userlevel 2
I have recently acquired more then 7000 albums.

It will probably take a couple of years to listen to music I already like and start to like some new music or songs.

It would be perfect if the SONOS Controller would have an option like the iTunes - tu rate a song, 1 to 5 stars. With this, one would be able to order the Controller to browse for example only songs with 5 stars, or 4, or 1, as desired.

Thank you for taking this into consideration.
markokarlovac,

I've taken the liberty of merging your post with the Sound Ideas request thread on this very topic.
Userlevel 2
I was shocked to discover that my recently purchased Sonos system didn't have any ratings possibility or even a move to favorite list function. The only thing that is there is that I can save the entire current queue as a playlist. Naturally that doesn't suffice.

I also must say that although I have a large collection of FLAC files from my CD collection I mostly stream music from spotify. So implementing a rating system in the proposed way of adding it to the metadata of the track or even as an index on your machine doesn't work for the Spotify situation.

So my suggestion is that Sonos creates a server in the cloud to store this tracking data. In the cloud it would even be possible to apply the rating that you made to your personal copy of a song to the same song but then played via Spotify, Pandora or any other service. By doing it in the cloud, you are also overcoming two of the main limitations that were raised in this forum. One is the limited amount of storage on the Sonos hardware and the other being that it is a read only system.

For people that want to export the ratings data to be included in their own music files an API could be created that allows any developer to build a nice application for this. This would allow to have specific applications for just about any music management application that you are using. Whether it be iTunes, Media Monkey or any other.

Using a cloud server to store the ratings could also work well for another nuisance and that is that when you move Sonos hardware from one location to another (effectively loosing power) the current playlist is gone. The cloud server would allow to store playlist history and the position you were in within each playlist.

This could all be done without updating the Sonos hardware and by just updating the current software on the hardware. It doesn't require any local NAS or computer to be turned on.

PS. Don't you think it is really funny that on this forum you can rate a forum thread.
Userlevel 2
marceldiepstra, best idea I have heard in a while. Ratings are important and this sounds like a great way to overcome the limitations mentioned of the sonos system. I espeacially like the idea of being able to run some utility to write the ratings to the files. Of course it would be great to also go the other way too (write the ratings in the files to the "cloud".
Userlevel 2
Here's another vote to support ratings applied to music files, in one way or another. I think it's very important to be able to filter out all of those tracks you really don't like much. My preference would be for Sonos to look for a ratings metadata/tag in the local file, without reference to the cloud.
+1: for smart playlist
+1: Rating 0-5* from controller
+1: see and store number of plays per song
Userlevel 2
+1, me too please!
Userlevel 2
Read ratings (and other metadata fields - maybe even allow the user to define which fields to be shown.... somehow)... +1

Write ratings (and other metadata fields), this is more tricky, because on on hand it is nice that sonos does not touch your metadata, but on the other hand, rating on the fly or adjusting bad metadata would be nice. I think the solution is to make a setting to enable/disable writing of metadata, then the end user can make their own choice. The settings could allow three levels:

1: Do not write/change metadata
2: Ratings only (in that way you can ensure that all your tags are kept safe)
3: Allow change of all metadata

Cheers
Userlevel 2
Badge
After wading through this thread until my head hurts, I asked myself "what is the minimum we could ask for that would give us the essential benefits of ratings?" My conclusion is derived mostly from what I get from MediaMonkey.

1. Support rating tag (read only), 1-5 in 0.5 steps, tagging done outside Sonos.

2. Ratings shown as one of the browser indexes, like Artist, Album, etc.

3. Sort by Rating.

4. Search by Rating >=. e.g. all Albums rated 3.5 or higher.

For this to be of value (to me), Sonos need to address what I think is its most significant shortcoming, the fact that all indexes except genre and folder mix genres. Who wants to look at a list of album or track ratings that mix jazz and classical? We need a top level index of genres, with each genre listing all the other indexes. This is essentially the Collections concept in MediaMonkey. I would submit this as a separate idea if I knew what to call it and how to express it in Sonos-speak.
Userlevel 2
I've been using Sonos products since 2006. I love the system, but I really, really wish I had the ability to rate songs on the Sonos system, and sort/play by ratings.

I'm adding a +1 to the requests on this thread.

If it's technically too difficult for Sonos to implement rating songs from the controller (because of its' "read-only" architecture), then perhaps as a start, Sonos could read rating data from existing tracks and allow users to see/sort/play/playlist from this data on the controller? That would be a great start. I know it's possible to create smart playlists in iTunes and play them based on ratings, but this is way too cumbersome, not possible from the controller, and not possible for users who don't use iTunes to store/sort their tracks.

The recently suggested "cloud-based" rating storage system sounds like a great way to get around Sonos' read-only architecture, and would allow users to merge their preferences among stored tracks and Internet radio services.
Userlevel 2
What I'm absolutely missing in Sonos is the abillity to rate a song while it is playing. This rating should be embedded in the meta data of the file.
Like this when you use an external music organiser (like Mediamonkey) to organise music and generate playlists to export to Sonos, you can automatically have the autoplaylist add the rated songs to the playlist.
What I'm absolutely missing in Sonos is the abillity to rate a song while it is playing. This rating should be embedded in the meta data of the file.
Like this when you use an external music organiser (like Mediamonkey) to organise music and generate playlists to export to Sonos, you can automatically have the autoplaylist add the rated songs to the playlist.

If you read this whole Thread from the beginning, despite the numerous requests for creating/changing Ratings within Sonos, there are several cogent Posts on why this may not ever (or should) happen - see Post #s 18, 35 & 82. Count me in that camp as well.

As far as I am aware, Sonos does not even display the traditional '5-Star' rating system used by most music managers. I wouldn't know though, as my tracks are rated within iTunes and those rating are not embedded in the individual track metadata.

I would be fine if Sonos displayed Track ratings, but am firmly against allowing it to change/write/manage my music Library. Not without some heavy 'lockdown' functions.

Here's Why:

There are Music Players, Music Managers and Hybrids that do both.

Sonos is primarily a home-based Music Player. Not a Music Manager. They don't do automotive, travel or mobile solutions. Sonos never changes your curated music Library or write to your music storage locations.

There are some Music Managers that organize &/or tag your tracks for 'data hygiene' or Library curating. MP3Tag, Tag&Rename, mpTrim, etc. are examples. Their primary purpose does not include music playback (other than some basic listening checks - if that).

The hybrid Manager/Playback systems like Windows Media Player, iTunes, MediaMonkey and others do both functions. This is not Sonos.

Sonos is more like the DNLA servers that get pointed to a music library and play the tracks as instructed to their intended destination. At best, Sonos has some minor (or mediocre, as some would say) Playlist creation and storage.

For me, Sonos performs exceedingly well as a music Playback system for my carefully maintained iTunes Music Library. I would not want anyone with a Sonos Controller to change what has been organized by me.

While the concept of restricting music management to certain controllers/users is a simple one, I appreciate that the implementation of that concept may not be as simple given the underlying Sonos architecture.

All of the above said, if Sonos would, one day, display Ratings, I'd find a way to drive my current iTunes ratings directly into the individual tracks' metadata.

Best of Luck
Userlevel 2
+1 for being able to show ratings; I don't understand why this isn't already present. They display all sorts of tagged data (album, artist, genre); at the minimum, having the option to show ratings would be a huge asset in generating playlists.
+1 for being able to show ratings; I don't understand why this isn't already present. They display all sorts of tagged data (album, artist, genre); at the minimum, having the option to show ratings would be a huge asset in generating playlists.

Read this entire Thread.

If you already had read it prior to posting the above, re-read it - you appear to have missed the important points.

You do not have to agree with the opinions expressed, but the reasoning is pretty well thought out.

Best of Luck
This is a hack, but I listen via Sonos and rate using iPad Music. I'm iPad Pro so I can split screen having both Sonos Controller and IOS Music open side by side. This got screwed up for a while when Apple eliminated ratings but it is back now. I have to then sync to iTunes library and then periodically batch transfer ratings into comments so the ratings are saved in the music files. Use iTunes smart playlists to identify rated music and then use the Comments field to save ratings (I.e "1 Star", "2 Stars", etc). I used to use the Groupings filed, but after 12.5 (?) Apple no longer writes this. This is a real pain, but it is worth it if you have a lot of music. If someone has a better way to rate while you listen, I'd love to hear from you. Thx.